Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

ASUS K75D F9 Factory reset setting question

Reaction score
I recently bought an ASUS K75D, 8gbram, Dual core graphics (7660g+7670m) and I hate windows 8. I was gonna install windows 7, but then if I needed to go back to windows 8 for any reason, can't I use the F9 Key and do a factory reset to windows 8 or would that option go away when I install windows 7 and wipe c drive?

Pessimistic butt@%&!
Reaction score
It depends if you have a hidden system partion that holds the system image for a factory reinstall....or did it come with discs?

Either way a factory reset should make it go back to the way it was the day you bought it.

Confirmation:

Praise the Sun!
Reaction score
i'm looking to install win 7 on my win 8 laptop, but if anything goes wrong i can't return a win 7 laptop since it was win 8 before so.. if i were to install 7 then hit f9 for factory reset, would it reinstall my whole laptop to windows 8?

Theoretically speaking, yes. Your Windows 8 installation is saved as an image on a hidden partition that you cannot see under Windows (booting into GParted or using a 3rd party disk management tool such as Partition Magic will show it to you). However, bootloaders and such might screw that partition up, so I wouldn't take the risk.

Asus comes with some sort of software that allows you to burn recovery disks (probably 4 DVD disks) that are able to restore that hidden partition and then recover your notebook to Windows 8.

On a side note, you can install any software you want on your notebook, doing so will not void your warranty at all. Hardware modifications on the other hand mostly will.

I have no disc and I don't think i can downgrade anyway.. I can't seem to find windows 7 drivers for this laptop IE USB, wifi etc

I'm 100% sure there are drivers for your notebook, also pretty sure you can find them at the Asus support & download section.

Reaction score
Theoretically speaking, yes. Your Windows 8 installation is saved as an image on a hidden partition that you cannot see under Windows (booting into GParted or using a 3rd party disk management tool such as Partition Magic will show it to you). However, bootloaders and such might screw that partition up, so I wouldn't take the risk.

Asus comes with some sort of software that allows you to burn recovery disks (probably 4 DVD disks) that are able to restore that hidden partition and then recover your notebook to Windows 8.

On a side note, you can install any software you want on your notebook, doing so will not void your warranty at all. Hardware modifications on the other hand mostly will.

I'm 100% sure there are drivers for your notebook, also pretty sure you can find them at the Asus support & download section.

Thanks for replying.

I checked their website and they don't have any drivers for my laptop. :c I'm sorta turning it into 7 like with classic shell and some mods for transparency, but what really bugs me is, my main thing i do on my PC i can't on windows 8 since it isn't compatible. There's a 30% chance it works and a 70% it wont. :/

My C driver is over 200 GB and my d drive is 398 gb, I don't like that my c drive is so large, can't i use like Partition Magic to relocate some?

Praise the Sun!
Reaction score
My C driver is over 200 GB and my d drive is 398 gb, I don't like that my c drive is so large, can't i use like Partition Magic to relocate some?

You sure can. EASEUS Partition Manager (free software) should also do the trick.

Also, > select Windows 7 64-bit and enjoy.

Reaction score
You sure can. EASEUS Partition Manager (free software) should also do the trick.

Also, > select Windows 7 64-bit and enjoy.

But but but, mine's K75D no E at the end. O_O That one with E is default windows 7, but i do see an option for win 8 64bit. Uh.. Anyway I can make a disk backup of separate parts of this hidden partition?

Reaction score
But but but, mine's K75D no E at the end. O_O That one with E is default windows 7, but i do see an option for win 8 64bit. Uh.. Anyway I can make a disk backup of separate parts of this hidden partition?

Different letter at the end indicates a slightly different configuration. It's the same model, may just have a different GPU or CPU or screen. Just find out what's different so you can avoid those drivers, but everything else would be identical.

You also don't "need" the drivers from the manufacturers website. If you know what hardware it has, directly get the drivers for those... Windows 7 would have native drivers for MOST of your laptop, if you're missing GPU or chipset drivers just get them from Nvidia/Ati website or Intel for chipset.

Device manager would tell you which drivers are missing, just check what needs em and google them.

Reaction score
Different letter at the end indicates a slightly different configuration. It's the same model, may just have a different GPU or CPU or screen. Just find out what's different so you can avoid those drivers, but everything else would be identical.

You also don't "need" the drivers from the manufacturers website. If you know what hardware it has, directly get the drivers for those... Windows 7 would have native drivers for MOST of your laptop, if you're missing GPU or chipset drivers just get them from Nvidia/Ati website or Intel for chipset.

Device manager would tell you which drivers are missing, just check what needs em and google them.

Yeah, you're right, but before I can even think of downgrading, how can I backup windows 8? It's pre installed from when they made it, so i have no disc. Am I able to make one? o-o if anything goes bad and I need to return it, I can't return a windows 8 laptop with windows 7, they will make up some excuse and say oh we can't help now

Reaction score
Press F5 (or whatever preset it has for boot devices) during boot to see the list of boot devices, if your HD has a hidden restore partition you will see it.

Or go to admin tools > computer management > disk management and that should show you all the partitions there including hidden ones. That's in Win 7 though, not sure about win 8 but i would imagine it would be something similar.

That won't happen either, as pointed out the warranty extends to the hardware only, regardless of what OS is on it. If you have windows 8 it should be completely compatible with Windows 7. there is no hardware on the market which is "windows 8 only".

Reaction score
I ran into a problem. :c

I formated the C drive and then tried to click Next to install windows 7, but it says "windows cannot be installed on this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style."

EDIT: I think I need to delete all partitions and then make my own and install win 7 on there. But.. If I do that.. I'll have no way to recover since the recovery partition will be deleted. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Reaction score
New PC's with recovery partitions should ask you to make a set of recovery discs when you first start up your PC. There should be some application preinstalled that allows you to do it. Find it and make a set of discs, preferably before you go messing about with your PC and installing things. Keep these discs in a safe place as you can only make them once. In the event that you screw up your bootloader or mess up your recovery partition you should still be able to restore Windows 8 from the discs.

You will probably need to delete the partition with Windows 8 (not the recovery partition) and make a new partition and format it. You can set up your partitions as you like and make the partition to install windows 7 on smaller if you like. Then you will be able to install Windows 7.

What you may also be able to do is keep the windows 8 partition and install windows 7 on the other partition (The 398GB D drive). Then you may be able to dual boot both windows 8 and 7. It is usually recommended to install the older OS first otherwise the bootloader may not work properly.

Reaction score
Did you try removing just that partition?

Now if you have already formatted the C: drive then -

Win 7 install should show all partitions. You should have the option to format, delete, create new & something else I've forgotten.

Just select the C: click delete partition and you should get that size as unallocated space. Just select that unallocated space select new partition then format as NTFS. Then choose that as install partition.

Praise the Sun!
Reaction score
I can't return a windows 8 laptop with windows 7, they will make up some excuse and say oh we can't help now

They won't, you're free to install any OS (including Linux).

I ran into a problem. :c

I formated the C drive and then tried to click Next to install windows 7, but it says "windows cannot be installed on this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style."

EDIT: I think I need to delete all partitions and then make my own and install win 7 on there. But.. If I do that.. I'll have no way to recover since the recovery partition will be deleted. Any ideas?

Just remove the C partition, then select the un-partitioned space that shows up afterwards and hit next. Windows will then create you a partition, flag it as primary and bootable and you're good to go.

You might consider imaging the hidden partition using Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image. Both tools allow you to boot from CD and backup / recover a partition. Hands down though, I've never used either of those software on recovery partitions.

Reaction score
They won't, you're free to install any OS (including Linux).

Just remove the C partition, then select the un-partitioned space that shows up afterwards and hit next. Windows will then create you a partition, flag it as primary and bootable and you're good to go.

You might consider imaging the hidden partition using Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image. Both tools allow you to boot from CD and backup / recover a partition. Hands down though, I've never used either of those software on recovery partitions.

Thanks everyone for replying, but the hidden recovery partition is 10 GB's and my DVD size max is 4.7 GB.

If I re format C Drive, and delete it for make it unallocated, it will 100% let me install and no BS about GPT? I read that i needed to delete all partitions lol.

Also.. I tried creating a VHD, but when I got to the partition section to select and install it gave an error 0x8030024.

@Rishwin, how do I format it to NTFS? / It doesn't give me the option.

Woot, Idk what I did, but got it to dual boot with windows 8 and 7 !
Now I just gotta find away to add more room from a certain drive to another

Last edited:
Praise the Sun!
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for replying, but the hidden recovery partition is 10 GB's and my DVD size max is 4.7 GB.

If I re format C Drive, and delete it for make it unallocated, it will 100% let me install and no BS about GPT? I read that i needed to delete all partitions lol.

Also.. I tried creating a VHD, but when I got to the partition section to select and install it gave an error 0x8030024.

@Rishwin, how do I format it to NTFS? / It doesn't give me the option.

Woot, Idk what I did, but got it to dual boot with windows 8 and 7 !
Now I just gotta find away to add more room from a certain drive to another

Shrink the largest partition and then resize the smaller partition.

Back