Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Can I have 2.5 gigs of ram?

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
I have an Acer Aspire 4520. It has 1 gig of ram and I want to update it. Can I have an extra 512 mb of ram so I'll have 2.5 gigs? like 2 gis in 1 slot adn 512 in the other. or can it only be even like either 2 gigs or 3 gigs?

Reaction score
Can you have 2gb in 1 slot and 512mb in the other? Yes. Will it be fast? No.

The 2gb will run at the same speed as the 512mb (which will obviously be slower). what you should do is get 2x 1gb sticks (make sure they are EXACTLY the same) and put 1 in each slot. It will run 50% faster than your 2gb + 512mb.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
It's better to get 2gb ddr2 sticks. Or just 2gb. Or like Rish said, because I'm doing the same with my server, 2 X 1GB sticks.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
no point in 2.5GB of ram. well added and extra 512 to 2gb.
XP dosnt get no faster after 1 gig and vista after about 2 gig - 3 gig (32 bit).

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Ah right, but does the increase of permanence go down as u double up.
For example from 256 to 512 will give better performance difference then from 1Gb to 2 Gb.

Gold
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I have 1GB on my vista home premium and it runs quite fast.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Can you have 2gb in 1 slot and 512mb in the other? Yes. Will it be fast? No.

The 2gb will run at the same speed as the 512mb (which will obviously be slower). what you should do is get 2x 1gb sticks (make sure they are EXACTLY the same) and put 1 in each slot. It will run 50% faster than your 2gb + 512mb.

May I ask why?
Wouldnt it be logic that more ram = more speed?:scratch:

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
nah when you have two of the exact same ram plugged into the simmilarly coloured slots it increases read write speed like raid does for hard drives, forgot what the bloody name is though now >.<

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
nah when you have two of the exact same ram plugged into the simmilarly coloured slots it increases read write speed like raid does for hard drives, forgot what the bloody name is though now >.<
Dual-channel memory?

Reaction score
May I ask why?
Wouldnt it be logic that more ram = more speed?:scratch:

2 years ago, yes. but dual channel now is such a common and recognized thing that in comparison, throwing in as much RAM as you can is no longer advised cos it actually slows down the PC.

nowadays what you want to do is put in only identical RAM sticks in. 4x 512mb of DDR2 will definitely out perform a 2gb stick, and even 2x 1gb sticks. Rule of thumb is that generally every pair of identical sticks give a 50% performance boost. So 4x 512mb has a 100% performance boost, while you get only a 50% boost when compared to 2x 1gb sticks.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
2 years ago, yes. but dual channel now is such a common and recognized thing that in comparison, throwing in as much RAM as you can is no longer advised cos it actually slows down the PC.

nowadays what you want to do is put in only identical RAM sticks in. 4x 512mb of DDR2 will definitely out perform a 2gb stick, and even 2x 1gb sticks. Rule of thumb is that generally every pair of identical sticks give a 50% performance boost. So 4x 512mb has a 100% performance boost, while you get only a 50% boost when compared to 2x 1gb sticks.

How the duck are you supposed to get 4 sticks in?

Back