Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

CoLinux Guide?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hi, im looking for a CoLinux Guide. From installing the Programm till installing the Perfect World Server. Does someone have any Links about this or can someone maka a Picture Story/Video of it?
Should be detailed as possible. It's for a totaly noob :bigsmile:
As exaple: Installing CoLinux and download Ubuntu/Fedora... or not,
after the downloading whats next...?

Hope u can help me :wink_5:

Thx for reading!

Just Eistiger.
Reaction score
As most of you know the server files are compiled to run on UNIX/Linux based systems. This guide will show you how to install and setup coLinux so that you can run your Perfect World server on Windows.

Requirements:
coLinux-stable -
Perfect World Server

Optional:
Fedora Core 5

Extras:
WinPcap - -

I will be using Fedora 5 to run with our coLinux once we get it setup. Again this is optional and you may choose another distro. This is not something you need to go out to download manually, you will decide in the coLinux setup. Try to choose one you are familiar with because the Linux distribution you choose only contain the core files. And you will have to install a few libraries to get the server up and running. Redhat based distros like Fedora use yum and/or rpm, Debian based use apt-get, Gentoo uses emerge, etc. Anyway, lets get started!

Step 1: Download and run the installer for coLinux

* Download , select the coLinux-*.exe one
* Run the coLinux installer: click Next, I Agree, and Next again
* The destination folder doesn't default to "c:\coLinux" but I recommend it. Click Next
* You will be prompted to install WinPcap. Click the install link.
* Download and install WinPcap, leave the installer open
* After WinPcap is installed click Next from the installer
* Choose your distribution, I chose Fedora Core 5, click Install
* If you get prompted to install TAP-Win32, click Continue Anyway

Note: the download may take awhile depending on your choice.

Step 2: Decompress the Linux distro

* Go to your coLinux directory (c:\coLinux)
* You should see a file like: Fedora5-2gb.ext3.7z, which may be different depending on the distro you chose
* Right-click on it and go to "Extract Here" or 7-Zip->Extract Here
* You may delete the Fedora5-2gb.ext3.7z if you wish, just make sure you have Fedora5-2gb.ext3

Step 3: Create a swapfile

* Pick one of the swapfiles from and save it to your c:\coLinux
* Note: it's a good idea to pick one about the same size as your memory.
* Decompress this archive same as step 2; right click your swapfile and "Extract Here"

Step 4: Configuring coLinux

* Open example.conf in your coLinux directory with notepad and change the following:
Note: Your codb0 and codb1 entries may be different depending on the Linux and swapfile you chose
Code:

Code:
# The default kernel
      kernel=vmlinux

# File contains the root file system.
      # Download and extract preconfigured file from SF "Images for 2.6".
      cobd0="c:\coLinux\Fedora5-2gb.ext3"

# Swap device, should be an empty file with 128..512MB.
      cobd1="c:\coLinux\swap_512Mb"

# Tell kernel the name of root device (mostly /dev/cobd0,
      # /dev/cobd/0 on Gentoo)
      # This parameter will be forward to Linux kernel.
      root=/dev/cobd0

# Additional kernel parameters (ro = rootfs mount read only)
      ro

# Initrd installs modules into the root file system.
      # Need only on first boot.
      initrd=initrd.gz

# Maximal memory for linux guest
      mem=64

# Slirp for internet connection (outgoing)
      # Inside running coLinux configure eth0 with this static settings:
      # ipaddress 10.0.2.15   broadcast  10.0.2.255   netmask 255.255.255.0
      # gateway   10.0.2.2    nameserver 10.0.2.3
      eth0=slirp

# Tuntap as private network between guest and host on second linux device
      eth1=tuntap

Step 5: Create a batch file to start coLinux

* Make a colinux.bat file with the following:
Code:

Code:
      colinux-daemon.exe -t nt @example.conf fastboot nogui eth0=slirp,,tcp:29000:29000

Important: The important part of that line is the eth0 part. What it is doing is enabling port-forwarding. Without it remote connections will _not_ beable to connect to your Perfect World server from coLinux. The port 29000 is the default setting for the Perfect World server. If you have changed this in your gamesys.conf files make sure you change it here too. If you have a router or firewall you may also need to allow this port. Adding the options to the eth0 setting to your example.conf does _not_ work. You must specify it here at the command-line in our batch file. The format is [windows port]:[colinux port], in this case 29000 for both.

Step 6: Run coLinux

* Double-click on our batch file, colinux.bat
* If the window just flashed on your screen you'll need to open a command-prompt and run it there. Click Start->Run->cmd, click Ok. Type cd c:\coLinux, press Enter. Type colinux and press Enter.
* If some things fail to load, usually you can just ignore it.
* Login with root, password is blank so don't type anything

Final Steps
Now there were a few packages I needed to fetch in order to get the server files to run. Such as the following:

libtask - o (compiled) or (source)
compat-libstdc++-33-3.2.3-61 -
libpcre -

I used wget to download both the packages as 'yum' couldn't find them. So just use 'wget ' with the urls I posted above.

libtask - libtask you don't need to compile, you can just extract it with tar -zxf libtask.tar.gz and then cp libtask.so /usr/lib, and finally run ldconfig. If you have errors or problems with libtask after doing this then just make sure to rm /usr/lib/libtask.so and then compile the sources and install.

libstdc++ - after you download the rpm just run rpm -ivh compat-libstdc++-33-3.2.3-61.i386.rpm

libpcre - I did not have to install libpcre, however if you do and using Fedora you can wget and then run rpm-ivh pcre-7.0-2.i386.rpm

Also the downside is you cannot use Mark/Paste in your coLinux DOS window, it will simply screw up your terminal. So dreadfully you will need to type these long URLs or use TinyURL.com - shorten that long URL into a .

Whew, that's it. Now you just need to copy your Perfect World server files over and start setting that up.

I already know your first question, how do I get my server files over to my coLinux? Well, you can't mount your Windows drive/partition from coLinux because Windows locks the resource. There is a experimental tool called CofsDevice that can allow this but it is very buggy and can corrupt data on your Windows drive! You can also setup Samba, but this is outside the scope of this tutorial. If you wish to learn more about setting up Samba you can find documentation here.

I personally just ran a FTP server from Windows and then ftp'd to it from coLinux and downloaded the server files. It really doesn't take long it should transfer at 10mb/sec or more.

I spent quite a bit of time making this one so hope it gets you going, good luck!

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Thx for the fast answer. is it right that i dont need navicat or mysql on my pc for it?
then u said u would install colinux on C: how much space does it required? i have only 4 GB free on C:
i dont have any experiences with Linux so i use Fedora how u've done it. do i need something to know about fedora?

Just Eistiger.
Reaction score
Thx for the fast answer. is it right that i dont need navicat or mysql on my pc for it?
then u said u would install colinux on C: how much space does it required? i have only 4 GB free on C:
i dont have any experiences with Linux so i use Fedora how u've done it. do i need something to know about fedora?

ehm for a good PWServer with colinux u need 20GB Space.
and u need MSSQL ^^

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
well no prob. have to install it on a diffrent drive.

Links doesnt work:
compat-libstdc++-33-3.2.3-61 -
libpcre -

and this folder is empty:
libpcre - I did not have to install libpcre, however if you do and using Fedora you can wget and then run rpm-ivh pcre-7.0-2.i386.rpm

EDIT: pls expain this:

-> colinux-daemon.exe -t nt @example.conf fastboot nogui eth0=slirp,,tcp:29000:29000

it wont be a simple filerename to this or?^^

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
-> colinux-daemon.exe -t nt @example.conf fastboot nogui eth0=slirp,,tcp:29000:29000

it wont be a simple filerename to this or?^^

I'm having the same problem with this step. When I run the .bat file it just flashes, and also it doesn't work if I try to run it from cmd in windows. It just says:

Code:
eth0 double defined
daemon: error aprsing configuration parameters and boot params
daemon: error parsing parameters

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I'm having the same problem with this step. When I run the .bat file it just flashes, and also it doesn't work if I try to run it from cmd in windows. It just says:

Code:
eth0 double defined
probly something u did wrong worked fine when i tryed

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Need help anyone? How do I make the colinux bat file.. What do I do with the codes there? Thanks..

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
@Eist, just a question. Everytime I choose Fedora. When I start to extract the Fedora file which is inside coLinux, it doesn't continue and gives me an error.

Another thing, can somebody give me a guide for Gentoo. It works fine to me instead of fedora.

Initiate Mage
Reaction score

Code:
eth0 double defined

OK i found out what is the problem. the bash file is OK you dont have to change anything there.

but you have to change back something in the example.conf

Code:
eth0=slirp
to
Code:
#eth0=slirp

but now i have a problem installing the libaries... can someone help me? it chechks ewerything then exits and nothing had installed i tried to install development tools but failed as well...

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Fedora5?
why my colinux dont have Fedora5 but Fedora10?any idea?

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Do not use coLinux, it is just a flaming pile of crap and I am amazed that it was ever used

any suggestion?
cos other ppl saying the colinux is the best to make pw server.:frusty::frusty:

Nerd-IO
Loyal Member
Reaction score
any suggestion?

If you look at old posts, sure... coLinux was the only way to done a pwserver (around 2008).

But now, most ppl use VirtualBox, vmware, etc...

More easier to configure and manage. More stable also.

Often, the "linux-core" that come with colinux is messed up alot...

Better to install a real fedora distro on virtualbox instead using a messed fedora core on colinux.

is making carefully.
Reaction score
any suggestion?

Its really not. It's simple but it'll cost you ALOT more effort on your part. The best thing to host pw on a dedicated linux box. :I Second best would probably be vbox (if you're a beginner or hosting this for friends/ yourself).

I have an old colinux tut in my old thread, but like I said you'd be better off with vbox. Try hraces STICKIED THREAD.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Its really not. It's simple but it'll cost you ALOT more effort on your part. The best thing to host pw on a dedicated linux box. :I Second best would probably be vbox (if you're a beginner or hosting this for friends/ yourself).

I have an old colinux tut in my old thread, but like I said you'd be better off with vbox. Try hraces STICKIED THREAD.

thank for info:thumbup1:

---------- Post added at 09:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:00 AM ----------

If you look at old posts, sure... coLinux was the only way to done a pwserver (around 2008).

But now, most ppl use VirtualBox, vmware, etc...

More easier to configure and manage. More stable also.

Often, the "linux-core" that come with colinux is messed up alot...

Better to install a real fedora distro on virtualbox instead using a messed fedora core on colinux.

thank for info too romulan:thumbup1::thumbup1:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back