Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Common Problems / Questions Answered

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Ok I can feel the frurstration of alot of the moderators here as I see alot of the same questions asked all over and answered. The goal of this guide is so that people can be pointed to a single location with common answers instead of the "OMFG READ" replies (Dont get me wrong I feel your pain on some of these), until Search functionality is restored. I have wanted / dug for a general FAQ of Server / Client problems and answers and I hope this helps some people out.

So to clear up alot of the "Stupid" questions / problems I am going to compile a list of them and answer what I can. Keep in mind I am new to this and will not be able to answer some technical questions / problems but can share my experinces and what I have seen and done. I assume you have some basic knowledge on MySQL (Connectivity at least) and basic TCP / IP Networking Knowledge (Your IP Address Inside "LAN" and Outside "WAN" if needed). If you do not know your outside IP Address and need it please goto

I am working with a TBC 2.0.2.6144 Server Repack, however some of these questions are global to any version.

Server Questions:
1) Where do I get MySQL 5?
A)
If you got stuck here, you might want to venture else where.

2) What ports are required to be opened in a Firewall / Router for Public Internet Connectivity?
A) From what I have read the Realm Server uses port 8085, WoW 3724, and TBC 3725.

3) How can I get a DNS Name on my DSL & Cable (Dynamic IP)?
A) There are a few services that offer dynamic IP to name resolution service.
I am a fan of (They are a pay site however)

- Seems to be mentioned alot here.
I know nothing of them sorry but also appears to be a pay for service.

4) How can I run a Public (Internet) server and still connect Locally?
A) Ok there are a few ways to accompish this from what I have seen.
First Solution is to use a host file, This will "Spoof" DNS lookups on your PC.
In this example we are going to use "realm.foobar.com" as your FQDN and 192.168.1.100 as your IP Address

Start->Run->notepad c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

You should see a line like so

127.0.0.1 localhost

Add your IP Address your MangOS server is on and the name as follows on a new line.

192.168.1.100 realm.foobar.com

Now we need to update our Realm Server in MySQL
Connect to your MySQL Server (However you wish - CLI, SQLyog, Navicat, etc)

Run the following SQL on your Realm DB

update realmlist set address = 'realm.foobar.com'

Now we need to update your Client
Open your realmlist.wtf and make sure it has only the following
set realmlist realm.foobar.com

Your 2nd option is to add another server to the MySQL Realm DB [realmlist table] for your public and local IP Address

5) I got this repack that says all I need but no MySQL where are my SQL files?
A) Typically they are probably using an embedded version of MySQL and it has been taken care of for you. If you want access to your DB etc find a different repack that has a standalone MySQL DB.

Most commonly username is root and password is mangos even for the Embedded, but remember its embedded for a reason becare mucking around.

6) Ok I finally got my TBC Server up and running where the mobs / npcs?
A) From mostly what I can tell the support for TBC is still very limited. You got the latest 70 caps, new talent tree, some new items T4 and T5, give it time people will populate these areas as time goes by.

7) Im getting the Infamous Realm Loop HELP PLEASE!
A) I have seen this myself on a few occasions. What it was for me was a misconfiguration of the realmlist in both my Client and in the Realm DB.

Another cause for this could be a version mismatch. Ive seen on a few occasions where I was close to the patch revision I could psuedo login. It would accept my username and password and stick "Handshaking".

One important note is if you are setting up an Internet server you cannot connect to your outside IP Address from the Inside (Ok before I get flamed some Routers allow it but its a loopback route hack not really valid TCP behavior). If you have your outside IP Address as your realmlist I suggest getting a name resolution service so you can "Spoof" locally or create a 2nd entry in your realmlist in MySQL for your Local LAN IP for you to connect on. Users will see this in the realmlist (If someone knows how to hide please let me know) but name it something that lets them know its not for them.

Also if you changed your realm config around alot trying to fix this try deleting your WoW Client Home\WTF\Config.wtf and restarting your client.

8) I NEED MAPS!
A) We all need maps calm down. They are here somewhere float around and find them. When you do bump it up if its a complete pack to keep it closer to the top (until search works again). If you dont want to wait for a download of a Map Pack you can always try to make your own. Get a copy of ad.exe (Google - WoW ad.exe Map Extractor, come on you gotta do some of your own work here) and copy it to your WoW Client Home. Create a directory called "maps" and run ad.exe (Keep your fingers crossed it doesnt error out).

Honestly your best bet is to just get a 100% Complete Server pack that contains maps. Most people break them into parts Server, DB, Maps, etc so you can download what you need only and save the total repack size.

GM Help:
1) How do I Warp around?
A) There are a few ways to accomplish this.
One option Is the .go commands, if you know the X,Y,Z and Map ID .go is for you. If you are like me and dont keep 10 notepads around gathering this data (.gps will give you this) you can use the built in teleport points.

Try .searchtele (Example: .searchtele br)
You will get a list of known teleport point containing the search string 'br'.
Once you found where you want to go .tele Brill

There is also fast access to main cities via .recall (Example: .recall under)

2) I want a X how do I get it?
Ok say you want a "Bottomless Bag", ok not exciting I know but lets just use it as an example.
Open in your web browser, notice when you hover the link for the bag it has an itemID in the URL. Write this down, memorize it whatever. I have attached a list of some random items I got from somewhere you can search through, has epics things of the sort.

Once logged in to your WoW TBC Server (Assuming you have rights to create items)

.create item 14156
Tada you have a Bottemless Bag, you can also create item sets with

.create itemset 185
Tada Item Set: Wildheart Raiment

3) I tried to add X and it says "Item not Found" whats the deal?
A) The item isnt in your DB, sorry that simple or you have the wrong ItemID.

4) Where can I get a list of all the GM Commands?
A) There are a few lists around here, best way I ever found was in game run

.commands

Typical answer is to look in your DB but if you have a Pack that doesnt have a Standalone MySQL Server this will work for you. With all commands if you run the command you will get output prompting you for the needed strings and a description of the command. I have attached a file I came across. Doesnt seem to be 100% accurate but works for the most part. Rename from Mangos GM Commands.txt to Mangos GM Commands.html (Tables to format command and description)

5) Why do some GM Commands not work for me?
A) Thats a good one, could be a few reasons from what I gather.
Command isnt implemented yet but is in the list, Version Bug, DB / Script Corruption. Either way if it used to work and now doesnt maybe you did something wrong, if it never worked check for a Version bug or if its implemented or not.

6) How do I change my Skill levels, .maxskills doesnt work for my professions?
A) See attached Skill List. To learn say 300 Alchemy .learnsk 171 300 300

Client Questions:
1) For the TBC Server (6144) it says download the TBC Beta from Blizzard.
However this file is no longer "Authorized for Download" where can I get this from?
A) This is no longer offered from Blizzard as well they want you to get off your butt and buy a copy of the final release. Here is what I can tell you. Google is your friend use it.

Best of luck finding either the US or GB Version (Must Match your WoW Client Lang, enGB will not work on a US Version). This is approx a 2 GB Download depending how it was packed and most providers I found were SLOW 5k a sec if i was lucky, start it and go away for the weekend.

2) I have the retail version of TBC how can I get to the 2.0.2.6144 Version
A) From everything I can tell you CAN NOT. Find the Beta and patch up from there.

3) Ok Ok Patches where can I get X patch?
A) If they are slow get the patch name and Google it for a faster mirror.
I had some better mirrors however I cannot find them at the moment and some are offline.

For the enGB Beta TBC Client

For the US Beta TBC Client

4) After all of this I dont want to touch TBC yet, how do I get the good old 1.X.X version required for private servers.
A) Best bet I found is stop by your local game store and grab that $1.00 copy of the WoW Demo.
This should be an old Version 1.0 copy from there you can get the patches from any patch mirror including Blizzard.

5) I want to use my current latest and greatest client from Blizzard to play on my WoW Server, but it doesnt work why not?
A) Check the client version on the server before you try connecting.

From what i have seen the "Latest / Bleeding" Servers have a lot of bugs in them. Your welcome at them but you shouldnt complain when stuff doesnt work as expected.

Remeber the developers will always be a step behind as they dont know what Blizzard has in the code for the unreleased versions. They do an amazing job keeping close to the current release but finding a complete DB for those versions is hard to create.

Everything Else:
If people like this guide I will keep updating it as I read forums and see the same questions being repeated etc.

When all else fails people here seem pretty willing to assit users out.
Remember though people are busy, be polite, dont expect an answer instantly, dont follow up posts with 100s of PM's asking for responses.

If your post gets lost in the daily traffic bump it occasionally (Note Occasionally, dont keep bumping it for the sake of doing so, its annoying and probably will get you banned eventually if your bumping for no reason).

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
Last edited:
Elite Diviner
Reaction score
Very nice work, if any mods are still active, can you please sticky this as it would help out untill they put back the search button.

And gary, thnx for typing it up, this will help the forum not being bombarded by silly question which can be found by going back a few pages.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
OMG! I love this man! This shows all those idiots that keep posting the same questions, that, with just a little bit of searching, you CAN find the answers. Well done. :biggrin:

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score

That's for the EnUS version, translated courtesy of google.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
It's great gary, but wheres my credit for the attached files you got from filebabe =p ?

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
3) How can I get a DNS Name on my DSL & Cable (Dynamic IP)?
A) There are a few services that offer dynamic IP to name resolution service.
I am a fan of (They are a pay site however)

- Seems to be mentioned a lot here.
I know nothing of them sorry but also appears to be a pay for service.

Just co clarify on this, the No-IP DUC service is not a mandatory pay site. There are some special domain choices you can to pay for, but it is otherwise free to use.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
OMG! I love this man! This shows all those idiots that keep posting the same questions, that, with just a little bit of searching, you CAN find the answers. Well done. :biggrin:

I dont mean to be rude or anything but search was disabled about a month ago, so you are going to see an INCREASE in stupid questions in your book because no one wants to sort through 90 pages of posts to find a 5 second answer

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
@ |>hantom: Just because the search button was taken down, doesn't mean that you can't "search" RaGEZONE. Just use google ^_~
eg. to search for "TBC" on RaGEZONE, type "TBC site:forum.ragezone.com" in google.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
u forgot one thing....HOW TO CHANGE XP RATE?

Elite Diviner
Reaction score
u forgot one thing....HOW TO CHANGE XP RATE?

Wtf...
I made that thread for tips on searching forums, nothing about the configuration of a server.

I've also answered your question in a different post, so you better not start with that tone on me.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
*Picks up a sign post which has on it:
http://forum.ragezone.com/world-warcraft/some-tips-searching-forums-217160.html
And proceeds to beat hantom to death with it.

wow, that thread was a whole 3 pages back, oh the humanity!!!

yes, it may have been 3 pages back, but you also have to factor in that the titles on about 80% of these dont help at all meaning you have to go through ~50 someodd posts reading every reply taking an hour or so to read through this. btw, for note, the names Phantom, not hantom

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
It's great gary, but wheres my credit for the attached files you got from filebabe =p ?

Sorry honestly i was working through my history when I compiled this.

There should be alot of credit to people here. This was 98% built on stuff I read here and about 2% my own trial and error.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Im glad to see people are using / diggin this.

I've been busy with work lately but I will scan through pull some more common questions and problems and update the FAQ.

Back