Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

doom3 probs

*still exists*
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Just installed the retail of doom 3 (dont ask where i got it as i know its not out in the UK till friday) and ive got a big prob....

Im running on:

AMD Athalon XP 1900
512meg ram (384 meg after crappy GPU kicks in)
G-Force 4 MX intergrated running at 128meg

This is more than the minimum spec it says... Problem im having is i get absolutly NO framerate at all.... If i could give the framerate a number it would be about 1fps.... Not even that tho really.... And this is in the main menu!!! The intro ID FMV where it goes through the pipes is going at the same speed... Its un-useable. If i move the mouse i have to wait for like 10 seconds before i see the cursore move.

Im useing the latest direct X and the latest g-force drivers... It just wont run.

Checked to see if my PC was messing up by playing UT2k4 for a bit on high graphics... that runs fine and is very playable....

I know doom3 is supposed to be buggy... but this is just silly. Anyone got any suggestions? Maybe even a graphics patch that can fix it?

cheers :good:

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
AND I QUOTE!
As all of you who allready have this game recognized the game is very slow even on new Computers.

I found out the reason for this and the solution to fix this problem.

As you already know after installation the game consits only of the doom3.exe and some .PK4 files. Those PK4 files includes the entire game (sounds, videos, textures etc.) in high compressed form.

Normally those files were decompresse during the game.

But this exactly is the problem. Even new CPUs are not able to decompress those files while running the game with good peformance and therfore the game runs very **** also on new computers. I don't know if the develpers of ID-Soft was just too stupid to think about this or if they have an agreement with some hardware manufacturing firms.

How to get around this problem:

It is very simple. Go to your Doom 3 installation directoy and get inside the folder "Base". There are some .PK4 files you have to open each of them with WinRAR 3.3 and extract their entire contents to the Base dir in you Doom 3 installation folder (replace all files if they are any duplicates). Now you have to delete all .PK4 files in the Base folder to prevent the game to use those compressed files agian.

Now the game starts and runs mutch faster!!!

Have fun playing Doom 3!!!

Reaction score
if that tweak doesnt work for you go into DoomConfig.cfg and edit the image cache to 256. if that still doesnt nothing, see if its your pc by setting the number by r_mode to 1. if its still poop then i cant help you.

*still exists*
Loyal Member
Reaction score
trying the first suggestion now.... bet it wont work tho :(. If i was that then im sure it would at least run a little bit >.<.

Same problem as this guy:

*still exists*
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Doesent work with any of those settings / changes. It went a little faster when i changed the r_mode to 1 (noticed the graphics were on shittest) but still wouldent run smoothly....

It cant be my PC can it? I can play UT2k4 on extreamly high graphics and have no problems.... It's gota be something with the game!

x31

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Solares said:
Doesent work with any of those settings / changes. It went a little faster when i changed the r_mode to 1 (noticed the graphics were on shittest) but still wouldent run smoothly....

It cant be my PC can it? I can play UT2k4 on extreamly high graphics and have no problems.... It's gota be something with the game!

Believe it or not UT 2004 on fairly high graphics with the right driver can play on a 1.2ghz with geforce 2 ti 64meg graphics card as good as any :)

its your pc mate can someone send me doom 3 i wanna give it a go.

Reaction score
well i dont want to be a bastard but anytime i see integrated graphics i want to run and hide :p

tho if i had to choose id go with a geforce integrated tbh

Last edited:
*still exists*
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Reeally dont think its my PC... My PC runs just about any new game that comes out... Im guessing i dont have the right drivers somewhere -_-

x31

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
integrated graphics... enough said. its a geforce 4 MX to! ive seen that crap DO crap

*still exists*
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm... well ive been thinking of upgrading to an ATI radion for a while now... this might just be the excuse i need.... Will free up loads of system ram 2. shame its gona cost me money :cry:

T

Tannish

I'm running an AMD3000XP, 768mb DDR, and a geforce 4 mx440 64mb, and I'm not having any fps issues of any consequence with Doom3. I tried it at the highest setting (which I do with any game), and it did lag a little bit, so I lowered them. Not really alot of difference in detail (there was some, but BAH...can live with the differences), but performance was increased ALOT.
My wife's system is a P4 1.8g, 512mb ddr, and same video card, and settings ingame are the same as mine. So, I'd say try with lower graphics settings for the game, and see if that helps. It's still a quake engine, after all, just with better graphics.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
no graphics card exists yet that can run doom III on a normal fps on extreme detail (highest) O_O
256 meg card is best you can get atm... requires 512

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Tannish said:
I'm running an AMD3000XP, 768mb DDR, and a geforce 4 mx440 64mb, and I'm not having any fps issues of any consequence with Doom3. I tried it at the highest setting (which I do with any game), and it did lag a little bit, so I lowered them. Not really alot of difference in detail (there was some, but BAH...can live with the differences), but performance was increased ALOT.
My wife's system is a P4 1.8g, 512mb ddr, and same video card, and settings ingame are the same as mine. So, I'd say try with lower graphics settings for the game, and see if that helps. It's still a quake engine, after all, just with better graphics.

how? No offence but ur graphics card isnt exactly superb.

T

Tannish

-=MR=- said:
dont talk trash about mx440!

its the best EVER!
its makes 9800 pro look like poop

LMFAO Well, when I got the damned thing 2 years ago, it was the best on the market. It's due for replacement anyway. Can't play Pandora Tomorrow, because it requires a MUCH better card than mine. :chair:

I'm just hoping it'll let me play Half-Life 2 (when it's finally released), until I can bet me an fx 6800. :thumbup:

Back