Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Emulator

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hey Tantra people.

I am in the middle of creating an emulator for Tantra Server.

But have a concern about legallity of this project. I dont want to get sued by somebody,
If this game is an abandoned software, I want to support its fair use and preserve digital heritage, which can be a legitimate purpose.

Any insight greatly appreciated
thanks..

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hey Tantra people.

I am in the middle of creating an emulator for Tantra Server.

But have a concern about legallity of this project. I dont want to get sued by somebody,
If this game is an abandoned software, I want to support its fair use and preserve digital heritage, which can be a legitimate purpose.

Any insight greatly appreciated
thanks..

Creating an emulator for an abandoned game server can be a complex and legally gray area. The legality of such a project largely depends on a few factors, including the game's intellectual property rights, the terms of service or end-user license agreement (EULA) of the original game, and the copyright status of the game's code.

Here are some considerations:

1. Intellectual Property Rights: You should investigate whether the game's intellectual property rights are still in effect. If the game's rights are still held by the original developer or publisher, they may have the legal right to protect their property. Abandonment doesn't always mean relinquishment of rights.
  2. EULA and Terms of Service: Check the game's EULA and terms of service. These documents may specify what you can and cannot do with the game and its code. Violating these agreements could lead to legal issues.
  3. Fair Use: If the game is genuinely abandoned and there are no active rights holders, you may be able to argue that creating an emulator falls under fair use, as you mentioned. Fair use can be a legitimate defense in some cases, but it's a complex and context-dependent legal doctrine.
  4. Preservation of Digital Heritage: Preserving digital heritage is an admirable goal, and some jurisdictions have exemptions in copyright law for such purposes. However, these exemptions can be limited and subject to specific conditions.
To get a clear picture of the legal implications of your project, it's a good idea to consult with a legal expert who specializes in intellectual property and copyright law. They can provide you with guidance based on the specific circumstances surrounding the game in question and the laws in your jurisdiction.

It's essential to proceed with caution and ensure you're fully aware of the potential legal risks before investing too much time and effort into your project. Additionally, if you wish to support the fair use and preservation of digital heritage, you might consider reaching out to organizations or communities that focus on preserving abandoned games and software to collaborate and share knowledge.

Upvote 1
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hey, Thanks applus

I didn't expect it to be this complicated, ..argghhh

BTW: this is the project

Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hey, Thanks applus

I didn't expect it to be this complicated, ..argghhh

BTW: this is the project
Thank you for sharing the link to your project on GitHub. I can see that it's a Tantra Server Emulator developed in Node.js. It's great that you're passionate about preserving digital heritage and supporting the fair use of abandoned games.

Just remember that while your project may have noble goals, it's important to be aware of the potential legal issues that can arise when working on emulator projects. Make sure to document your research and efforts to determine the game's legal status and any relevant exemptions or defenses you may rely on, such as fair use.

Additionally, it might be a good idea to seek legal advice or collaborate with experts who can help you navigate the legal aspects of your project and ensure that you're taking the necessary precautions to minimize potential legal risks.

Good luck with your project, and I hope it contributes positively to the preservation of digital heritage.

Upvote 0
Back