• Unfortunately, we have experienced significant hard drive damage that requires urgent maintenance and rebuilding. The forum will be a state of read only until we install our new drives and rebuild all the configurations needed. Please follow our Facebook page for updates, we will be back up shortly! (The forum could go offline at any given time due to the nature of the failed drives whilst awaiting the upgrades.) When you see an Incapsula error, you know we are in the process of migration.

Few Questions & Laptop Check

butt > Tits
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm looking to buy a new laptop anytime soon and I found myself having some questions on hardware stuff.

First off I'd like to know your opinions about the ASUS N55SF with the i7 2670QM CPU.
I will need it for school mostly, running stuff like Netbeans/Eclipse/any other IDE, 3D modeling, PS .. you get it.
If you think you have a better option please do share. I did choose for Asus on purpose cause in my experience they make great stuff.

Requirements:
  • Atleast an i5 2430m, preferably an i7 2670qm.
  • A strong Video card lol.
  • Atleast 4 gigs of RAM, max slots should be 8 gigs.
  • HDD either 320GB or 500GB, just needed for basic stuff, the rest goes on my portable HDD.
  • Preferably USB 3.0, is not a must though.
  • 15.6" HD Sreen, must be portable ^^,
  • Not too heavy weighted.
  • Integrated Wifi, LAN insert
  • HDMI <3
  • Keep it under $900 lol.
If there's a SSD with it it'd rock, but I can live without ><.
Great speakers is nice, but it's definitely not something I pick my laptops on.

Another thing is, a while back I wanted a PC and made myself a list of stuff I wanted it to have. Now one questions that had always been bugging me was: How much of a difference would 1600 Mhz RAM make compared to 1333Mhz? And would it be better if I lets say have 4Gigs of 1333Mhz RAM, to replace 'em all with 4 Gigs of 1600Mhz RAM. In stead of adding another 2 Gigs of 1333Mhz RAM (performance wise, let's not involve money in this atm =3)? And above all, is it worth the difference?
I read somewhere that lower frequency RAM is more suitable for overclocking, is this true?

Thanks for taking your time to read this =].

d.^.^.b
Loyal Member
Reaction score
wait u say all of this but u want it under 900? for a laptop.... damn ill look around but yeah lol hard to get this all in one without it being heavy or less then 900$

Reaction score
Well sure, lower frequency RAM overclocks better because it needs it. If you already have high frequency RAM then there's no need to overclock it, is there?

No, the differences between 1333MHz and 1600MHz are so negligible you physically can't feel the difference in speed. The only noticeable speed increase would be using 1600MHz RAM in a laptop/PC which only supports 1333MHz RAM, which will then throttle down the 1600MHZ RAM to 1333MHz and it will run at lower timings (and sometimes voltage). But realistically even that would barely make a difference.

Back