Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

GeForce 6800

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hello all. I have a little proble. You see, i have a GeForce 6800(i know it sucks) card. My friend have ATi 9500 and his pictures in games are not so good as mines. But his FPS is MUCH better. WTF? I know it's something about Pixel Shaders. So is it possible to make my picture in game worser to make my preformance and FPS much better?

I have 3480 marks on 3Dmark 05 v1.2 when i'm running only those game tests. Is it normal?

My video card is : GeForce 6800 128mb

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
It's hard lining up two cards from different companies because of the many factors involved. Have you checked your driver settings? Other hardware could be a factor too, from RAM to motherboard.
6800 isn't in the range of sucking yet, that's the 5-series.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
We have exactly same computers. Except the graphics cards. :) Maybe you know how to change my pixel shader version to lower one? =)

1 gig ram
2500+ sempron

A hard working geek :-)
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Actually (I ran a 6800 since the first day it cam eout until 3 weeks ago when i upgraded to an 8800) You can't downgrade the pixel shaders.. its part of the firmware and whats its designed to do.

What you CAN do, is lower any shadows in game.. thats the single largest performance gain you can get.. along with lowering AA/AS (The things that smooth out jagged lines). The 6x series cards are still great cards, teh only limiting factor on them is their shader vertixes really arent teh most powerful things around for dealing with what programmers are putting into games. The new 8800 series, for instance, youll get maybe a drop of 3 or 4 fps in a game by enabling shadows to highest settings.. whereas with a 6800 series, youll drop a good 15-20 fps by enabling shadows.

So, drop yoru shadows, AA/AS, and any long distance buffering.. and you shoudl be fine.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Actually (I ran a 6800 since the first day it cam eout until 3 weeks ago when i upgraded to an 8800) You can't downgrade the pixel shaders.. its part of the firmware and whats its designed to do.

What you CAN do, is lower any shadows in game.. thats the single largest performance gain you can get.. along with lowering AA/AS (The things that smooth out jagged lines). The 6x series cards are still great cards, teh only limiting factor on them is their shader vertixes really arent teh most powerful things around for dealing with what programmers are putting into games. The new 8800 series, for instance, youll get maybe a drop of 3 or 4 fps in a game by enabling shadows to highest settings.. whereas with a 6800 series, youll drop a good 15-20 fps by enabling shadows.

So, drop yoru shadows, AA/AS, and any long distance buffering.. and you shoudl be fine.

Ok i will try it right now.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Actually, the pixel shader engines are all backwards compatible with older PS versions. Take Halo (PC Version) for example, the game was based off PS 1.2 or 2.0 (I don't recall) but the game allowed you to run it in any pixel shader mode below the max shader it's engine supported. If the game engine of the game you're talking about supports forcing it into a lower pixel shader mode, you will be able to. Graphics will get progressively and noticably worse as you go through older versions of the pixel shader.
Pixel shader settings are usually done by passing a parameter to the games executable.

Loyal Member
Reaction score
Actually, the pixel shader engines are all backwards compatible with older PS versions. Take Halo (PC Version) for example, the game was based off PS 1.2 or 2.0 (I don't recall) but the game allowed you to run it in any pixel shader mode below the max shader it's engine supported. If the game engine of the game you're talking about supports forcing it into a lower pixel shader mode, you will be able to. Graphics will get progressively and noticably worse as you go through older versions of the pixel shader.
Pixel shader settings are usually done by passing a parameter to the games executable.

And in Layman's terms.. just running RivaTuner and downsetting the version.

I was meanign the actual pixel pipelines on the older cards ;) they can handle those older game swell, but anythign new and its bette rto jsut disable shadows completely :)

Reaction score
Lol... Just read what you said in your first post.

You said it looks better on your computer but runs slower.

General rule of thumb. The better you make it look. The slower it will run.

So if you want your computer to run faster then your mates. Turn the settings as low as how he has it and at the same settings. You will be faster.

Nopeace - out

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
You can unlock one vertex shader and four pixel piplines on the 6800 like I have done. Should give you a nice performance boost over your friends card.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
You can unlock one vertex shader and four pixel piplines on the 6800 like I have done. Should give you a nice performance boost over your friends card.

Hmm... and how can i do that?

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Unless you have a spare. Don't bother doing it. It can mess up your card and will be a pain to fix without a spare.

NoPeace - out

ALready did. And made my FAN speed higher so that temperature is lower. Now 3d mark results are on 100 higher. =))))

Loyal Member
Reaction score
-nods- When I ran my 6800 on 3dmark05 I think I was scoring around a 6000ish.. since you seem to have enabled the extra pipelines, you are running the AGP version correct? My little brother is running the 512mb 6800 AGP version and he unlocked his pipelines as well.. it does work well with the right cards...

And no need to turn up teh fan speed, increasing the pipelines isnt going to increase the temperature.. the only time you have to worry about temps are if you are either increasing voltage, or overclocking the card... the new pipelines dont cause an increase in heat.

Reaction score
ALready did. And made my FAN speed higher so that temperature is lower. Now 3d mark results are on 100 higher. =))))

Which 3D mark? =P

01, 03, 05, or 06? 100 points more on 06 is amazing while 100 points on 01 and 03 is to easy to do.

-nods- When I ran my 6800 on 3dmark05 I think I was scoring around a 6000ish.. since you seem to have enabled the extra pipelines, you are running the AGP version correct? My little brother is running the 512mb 6800 AGP version and he unlocked his pipelines as well.. it does work well with the right cards...

6k isn't bad for such an old card. I remember my old x850XT only scoring about 5800.

NoPeace - out

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Which 3D mark? =P

01, 03, 05, or 06? 100 points more on 06 is amazing while 100 points on 01 and 03 is to easy to do.

6k isn't bad for such an old card. I remember my old x850XT only scoring about 5800.

NoPeace - out

05. How can you get such good results? =( I have only 3550 on 3dmark 05.

Reaction score
05. How can you get such good results? =( I have only 3550 on 3dmark 05.

Higher end video cards and CPUs will do that. =P

The most I've gotten on 3DMark 05 was just under 16k. Like 15,900 or so, but that was with a pair of overclocked 7900GTX's and a overclocked 4800+.

I got about 15,500 with a e6700 and a pair of x1900XTX's (at stock speed except the x1900MC was at XTX speeds).

A single stock speed 8800GTX with a e6700 will do about 13k and a single stock speed 7900GTX with a e6700 does about 9k-10k.

It's all about the power of the hardware. Then it comes down to how well you can tweak it. =P

NoPeace - out

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
NoPeace, as far as I know unlocking pixel pipelines doesn't screw up your card at all. It's just activating the pipelines/shaders that are turned off during manufacturing and if they don't work then simply disable them again. Problems solved.

Reaction score
NoPeace, as far as I know unlocking pixel pipelines doesn't screw up your card at all. It's just activating the pipelines/shaders that are turned off during manufacturing and if they don't work then simply disable them again. Problems solved.

Well if you flash with the wrong BIOS then the card is gone and you'll need to use another card to flash the old BIOS on the messed up card to fix it. =P

So yes, it can screw it up if you are not careful. Not to mention those pipes are disabled for a reason. Most of the time it's ok to unlock them and you won't see anything happen but some times the image gets really screwy since the opened pipes are to gone to even use. ;)

NoPeace - out

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Using RivaTuner there is no "wrong" BIOS. You simply check the pipelines/shaders that have "Disabled" next to them and they will be enabled. The pipelines are usually disabled for the simple reason that Nvidia wanted a lower priced board for people with a lower budget yet they used exactly the same technology they had. You really can't go wrong using RivaTuner :)

Back