Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

[General] Career Paths and Future plans

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hey all, I have been thinking about this alot lately and was wondering 2 things.

They are:

1. Once you become competant in PHP, is there really a solid career path to take?

2. After PHP, whats the best language to move on to, to either simply advance your knowledge or to have alot better change of a decent career path?

For me, I know precedural programming with PHP, starting to learn OOP right now and I am also pretty competant with css and html. I would love to get a job doing web development full time, both to have a job doing something I enjoy and to learn more whilst doing the said job.

Problem is, I can't seem to find alot of job vacancies for that I know.

NOTE! As this is titled general, please, answer the questions in your partical laguage.

Look forward to some replies.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Web developers are very popular these days, I'm sure you'll find a job which could be either in your city (or the near) or via the net (so you work virtually with your boss). The last option is best for free lancing.

Next language to move onto...well if you want to be webdeveloper, it'd be usfull to know SQL (MySQL, Postgre, MSSQL, etc...), AJAX, JS, Flash, CSS, HTML, XML, PHP, ASP. With these languages you can make almost every possible website.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Don't forget about JAVA. JSP is getting more and more popular lately.

As for getting a webdevelopper job, if you're just starting with OOP you will need to train more. There are, at least in the Netherlands, many jobs for PHP developpers, but there are also a great many beginning developpers that know nothing of correct programming styles and professional development. It's hard to get a job without any certificate or education, and even if you do you'd better make sure you're good. I had neither when I started looking for one, took me almost a month to find a decent spot to work.

Luckily for me most of my collegues where of the beginner type so I could climb up to a senior developer spot within months. With that as work experience it has become a lot easier for me to find new jobs (got a few offers when I last looked around) since there still is the huge demand for good developers.

A way to get around this is getting a ZEND certificate, they're obtainable in most countries and, while not actually proving you'd make a good programmer, can seperate your CV from those around you. Once you've gotten a few months of actual work experience behind you there are a lot more companies that will take you on, work from there.

As for further carreer plans: personally I'm going back to university in a month to study Artificial Intelligence (did 4 years of astrophysics before that, I'm not really sure what I want yet :icon6:) but if you'd want to advance in webdevelopment learning a few other languages won't hurt. Try also to work on your social and management skills so you can get a position as lead developper, it's a lot less frustrating. From there you can try to climb up to software architect or IT advisor if you want, but that's about it as far as programming jobs are concerned :smile:

Super-Moderator
Staff member
Super-Moderator
Reaction score
Next language to move onto...well if you want to be webdeveloper, it'd be usfull to know SQL (MySQL, Postgre, MSSQL, etc...),
No, not useful. This is mandatory. You must know SQL. I don't know anyone using postgre, but certainly MySQL is very popular as well as MSSQL, I deal with both.

I'd add .NET either c# or vb.net stuff is becoming more popular for web stuffs.

A way to get around this is getting a ZEND certificate, they're obtainable in most countries and, while not actually proving you'd make a good programmer, can seperate your CV from those around you.

I got my ZCE, and I have to say that test is not for the weak. I'm a pretty good test taker but.. you really have to memorize a lot of functions to do this. They do have a pretty good book for studying for it, if you decide to do it, it is very possible to study for it on your own (I did with the study book) I think there is only one study book so its not hard to get.

Also I believe the test was $250 or $200 in the us to take when I did it like 2 years ago.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
well I've just left school and I got a job at a small design studio the main business of the company is web design and development. When I say small there's basically 3 people working in the office.

My boss designs but he doesn't know css ... and knowledge of slicing and tables thats how he codes his clients site... until now I code them in CSS.

We get all the big jobs though he has a good name on the island so alot of business.. They aren't much people in this field down here which are good.. I should get a pay raise lol

He often hires some people from canada to do coding like php.
so there is work for coders trust me. And it makes alot of money aswell (even though after completing a full website designed and coded I only get 10% comission)

Back