Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

God spoke to me...

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
... and told me that i must reroll to Linux.

First of all... Hi!

So my situation is like this, i started studding at university IT technologies, and we will be using only Linux this year, and from the first my encounter with linux... i fell in love with it! I decided to try out distribution Ubuntu (did not install it on hdd, just downloaded
LifeCD version). I have encountered few not nice things...

1) How do i configure my 5.1 speakers? i mean how do i make all of them work, not only 2 of them
2) How to launch stuff via terminal? i mean stuff like mp3 files and etc? Because the only stuff i know now is g++ and ./a.out :S
3) I know that there are no viruses on linux, but still i need a good firewall, any suggestions?
4) Is there any version of skype for linux?
5) I want to keep windows for gaming stuff, but what will happen if i will install linux? Will it automatically load Linux or OS selection screen will appear?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. new RZ layout is cool :D haven't been here for ages!

Elite Diviner
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Personally, I like Linux as well, but what about MAC?

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
well i need Linux for my studies, because all the PC's and stuff like that in my university is related to Unix OS'es (and most of time we work in linux). I know that Mac OS is based on unix as well, but somehow I see penguin guy more attractive

★★★★★
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I haven't used linux for a month or so but I can answer some of the questions.

3- A good free firewall for gnome: Firestarter
4- If I remember correctly, Skype is available for linux and comes installed by default on the latest ubuntu distribution.
5- If you install linux and overwrite the windows partitions then you'll only have linux. However, you can have both operating systems on the same computer by .

If you're using ubuntu, then I'd recommend asking these questions in their community as it's large and most users there are usually very helpful and may be able to give you better answers.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
ty for reply

bah! i have some strange problems with ubuntu, it seems i cant install it because its contantly whining about /root dir

★★★★★
Loyal Member
Reaction score
If things don't work well when you're using the LiveCD then try installing ubuntu from windows with an application called Wubi.

For more information about Wubi visit their site at

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
If things don't work well when you're using the LiveCD then try installing ubuntu from windows with an application called Wubi.

For more information about Wubi visit their site at

ty for help

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Beginner’s Guide: Run Linux like any other program in Windows

Back