Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

[Guide] Functional Portal/Custom Medkits

Reaction score
Requested by Randy.
Introduction
Quick and easy way of adding a portal (or any other custom model) as a functioning medkit on GunZ. This tutorial is completely done client sided. I do not have any server files to use on showing any more work on this -- Don't ask me how I can add them into shop and anything server related!

Server: CreativeGunZ
Preparing & Setting Files
Get the portal files from /model.mrs/worlditem

Create a new folder inside model/weapon/, name it "fun" (end result: model/weapon/fun/)

Put the portal files inside said folder. The files are:
ef_portal.elu - model itself
ef_portal.elu.ani - animation file
ef_portal.bmp.dds - texture

XML Changes
Now that you have the files all set, it's time for some xml changes.

Open up zitem.xml (system.mrs), put the following item in:
Code:
  <ITEM id="2300" name="Portal Medkit" mesh_name="portal" totalpoint="0" type="custom" res_sex="a" res_level="0" slot="custom" weapon="medkit" weight="1" bt_price="0" delay="150" damage="0" ctrl_ability="0" magazine="15" reloadtime="10" slug_output="false" gadget_id="0" hp="0" ap="0" maxwt="0" sf="0" fr="0" cr="0" pr="0" lr="0" color="#FFFFFFFF" image_id="3" bullet_image_id="0" magazine_image_id="0" desc="Hey look! It's a portal!" snd_fire="we_grenade_fire" maxbullet="5" />
Remember to change the item id number!

Save, and close zitem.xml.

Open up weapons.xml (model.mrs/weapon.xml), and put in the following code:

Code:
        <!-- Custom Portal Model -->
    <AddWeaponElu name="portal" weapon_motion_type = "8" weapon_type = "11" >
        <AddBaseModel name="portal" filename="model/weapon/fun/ef_portal.elu" />
    </AddWeaponElu>
Save & close.

Time for the last file, open worlditem.xml (system.mrs), and put the following codes in:
Code:
            <AddWorldItemElu name ="portal">
                <AddBaseModel name ="portal" filename="model/weapon/fun/ef_portal.elu"/>
                <AddAnimation name="play" filename="model/weapon/fun/ef_portal.elu.ani" motion_type="0" motion_loop_type="loop" />
            </AddWorldItemElu>
Scroll down to the part where you need to give it the stats, add these in:

Code:
        <WORLDITEM id="100" name="portal">
            <TYPE>hp</TYPE>
            <AMOUNT>125</AMOUNT>
            <MODELNAME>portal</MODELNAME>
        </WORLDITEM>
Note: remember to use a new WORLDITEM id number.

Save, pack, and test them out.
Result
`Styx - [Guide] Functional Portal/Custom Medkits - RaGEZONE Forums

Posted for those who don't know how to add custom models. I know there are some of you out there. You can also change the .ELU files and use other models, for example: Superion Medkits, as silly as that may seem.

Questions? Suggestions? Errors? PM or write in this thread. I have not tested out this tutorial, this was all due to experimentation.

Last edited:
Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Always wondered how to do this, thanks for the tutorial, Styx.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
-sigh- i knew this already, seriously this is kinda like a captain obvious post, if you see it has an animation then you include the animation with the file.
besides how hard is it to ctrl+f and look for where the med is called for in every file on the system.mrs

Reaction score
-sigh- i knew this already, seriously this is kinda like a captain obvious post, if you see it has an animation then you include the animation with the file.
besides how hard is it to ctrl+f and look for where the med is called for in every file on the system.mrs

many beginners do not know this kinda stuff. Being in a community like this we are suppose to try to help others not just pshh I knew that.

Nice tut 'Styx keep it up

Reaction score
Yes, I know. But there are a few out there that don't know, so I decided to post it to the public.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Nice.

I remember I seen the Portals on Trinity Gunz, but they weren't meds, just for looks lol.

Interesting though.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Few month bump :D
But i have question and you have somethings wrong....

I tryed to make my customs meds and repairkits.
And i fails... of course i have few questiuons...

<!-- Custom Portal Model -->
<AddWeaponElu name="portal" weapon_motion_type = "8" weapon_type = "11" >
<AddBaseModel name="medikit" filename="model/weapon/fun/ef_portal.elu" />
</AddWeaponElu>
Umm why there is medikit ? it should be portal i guess...

Next question...
<WORLDITEM id="100" name="portal">
<TYPE>hp</TYPE>
<AMOUNT>125</AMOUNT>
<MODELNAME>portal</MODELNAME>
</WORLDITEM>

Why there is id 100 ?
100 is already used by normall medikit... and can you explain what is AMOUNT ?

And i must add my new custom medikit into zitem.xml ?

Last edited:
Legendary Battlemage
Reaction score
isnt possible to make the portal move you from place to place like rerespawning.. in other place when you get into your portal =] this idea is cool :D:D

Reaction score
Few month bump :D
But i have question and you have somethings wrong....

I tryed to make my customs meds and repairkits.
And i fails... of course i have few questiuons...

Umm why there is medikit ? it should be portal i guess...

Next question...

Why there is id 100 ?
100 is already used by normall medikit... and can you explain what is AMOUNT ?

And i must add my new custom medikit into zitem.xml ?
First question: yes it should be 'portal', my mistake. Thanks for scoping that out.

Second question: IDs are different from server to server, depends on what ID you used and what you haven't already used. Just used a new ID code if you want to create a new separate medkit. AMOUNT = how much points it heals by (in the tutorial, the portal medkit heals 125 health points). The TYPE determines where the AMOUNT value goes into (TYPE = hp in tutorial).

Last edited:
Back