Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

I'm a beginner and i want to know how to code?

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Help? at least explain to me what it is?

I'm sorry i'm completely lost.

Watching from above
Legend
Reaction score
I would suggest you to read this article: [ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_programming[/ame] for the relevant part, and any references you find interesting.
It should give you a good overview of what programming is, and after you've read it I'm sure you'll be able to make more detailed questions so you'll get what you want. So, read it, come back with questions, and I'll (we'll) be happy to point you into the right direction with whatever it is.

Last edited:
Legendary Battlemage
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Programming a computer is exactly what the name suggests:
Programming a computer to do what you want.

Of course, it isn't exactly easy all of the time, but if you're experienced enough, you can get almost anything working.

There are many "languages" of computer programming.
These include, but are not limited to:

C/C++, Java, C#, BASIC, J#, J++, F#, Perl, Pascal

There are also scripting languages, made for websites.
These include

PHP (PHP: Hypertext Processor; its a recursive acronym), JSP (Java Server Page), ASP (Active Server Page), JS (JavaScript), Perl

Here's a wikipedia pages to let you further understand the concept of computer programming:

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programming_language[/ame]

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Thanks i'll look over those!! And thanks for not calling me a noob or anything :D

---------- Post added at 10:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:15 PM ----------

I'm coding for my new maplestory private server.
I'm trying to learn how to java code. Any advice on java?

Saucepan
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Search the it for Google. You can find many tutorial there.

Zen

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
i would suggest that you learn some theory (yuck i know) before actually starting, like learning FOR loops and WHILE loops, functions theory etc, it will make your life a hell of a lot easier in the long run.

The World Is Yours
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Help? at least explain to me what it is?

I'm sorry i'm completely lost.

If you would like to learn the basics of Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 (aka 'VB6') I am more than happy to teach you it. I can also teach you the basics of HTML and PHP. - Just PM me ;)

As xSilv3rbullet said, there are many programming languages -- some are relevant to another programming language and some are not. For example, VB6 is relevant to VB.NET (simply because it was made by the same company, and it's possible to import a VB6 project into VB.NET directly through the program itself).

If you want to create your own website, then as a beginner I would suggest you start with HTML. When you are experienced enough with HTML and have alot of knowledge in it, you could possibly start with PHP... this is exactly how I got my knowledge in these "languages". But of course, it will be hard to understand PHP the first time you try it out.

Legendary Battlemage
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Also, if you're a quick learner, you can just look at a couple of open source programs.

That's how I picked up Java, Javascript, and PHP, which I am now using to develop a BB (in the showcase section).

:)

If you need any help with C#, Java, PHP, HTML, or JavaScript (for NPC scripting. :p), feel free to contact me.

I have a tutorial on my forum, and I can dig it up.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
I started out with VB.NET, and that was not a good idea (IMO!)

If you want a powerful, yet simple programming language, go for Delphi. Its very powerfull. :)

But again, thats just me. =)

Extreme Coder - Delphi
Loyal Member
Reaction score
start with vb6(compiles in native code not .NET), it got me where i am today

Infraction Baɴɴed
Loyal Member
Reaction score
i saw somewhere to start with like C++ > C# > other more complex engines.

they said that because the functions and feel of the script looks a lot like that of the functions in C++

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score

they said that because the functions and feel of the script looks a lot like that of the functions in C++

There is nothing like go to C++ first then C#, and C# isn't more complex than C++, I would say that C++ gives you a solid knowledge but the important thing is that you should use the language that fits the best to what you need to do.

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score

C# is more like java and VB than it is like C++.

Back