Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Is it possible to protect (online verification) server?

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
For ex: i want to sell private server build (tons of custom features, new skills, locations and so on).
I want to make IP verification for users who buy acess for mounth/year.

Source: c++

Any ideas? Thanks.

Reaction score
IP verification for private server files...? Umm... what if they move the files to a different server? Outside of the fact that this is a bit odd and you'll probably want to use something more like license keys rather than an IP address verification, you can attempt to do this.

Are you selling the source or just the compiled files? Eh, don't even answer that. Just know that it's still possible for people to meddle with the internals of the compiled files.

That being said, you would probably want to add numerous verification checks and backdoors. The backdoors are just in case they bypass the verification checks without removing the backdoors. The idea would be that you send a command to the server or do something, e.g. type a specific message that only you know in the game's chat, and it would kill the server and potentially duck up the files.

Protip: If you hire someone to code this for you, chances are they're going to put some backdoors for themselves into the code, just in case you try to refuse payment.

Mythic Archon
Reaction score
You can use IP verification inside the source itself. Of course, people could always remove it and just give it to someone else. It'd be better to try to use license keys as TimeBomb said.

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
TimeBomb I'm the owner of and would like to move my game from Season 6 Episode 3 to MuEX702. GaNetwork can't handle our server anymore due to lack of slots. So, if you have time please contact me via YM: leeangebusinessresourcetrading or skype: ynnah8 or just email me at leeange.businessresource@gmail.com so we can discuss. Hoping fo your ample time about the game.

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
TimeBomb I'm the owner of and would like to move my game from Season 6 Episode 3 to MuEX702. GaNetwork can't handle our server anymore due to lack of slots. So, if you have time please contact me via YM: leeangebusinessresourcetrading or skype: ynnah8 or just email me at leeange.businessresource@gmail.com so we can discuss. Hoping fo your ample time about the game.

Google my name...
Reaction score
No one has pointed out the most obvious flaw with IP Verification... IPs are generally not static...

All the best,
Richard Komakech.

Praise the Sun!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
No one has pointed out the most obvious flaw with IP Verification... IPs are generally not static...

All the best,
Richard Komakech.

Server IP's are usually dedicated, but restricting IP's is definitely not a good idea, they might run a small server on another machine to test stuff or move to another server, you definitely got a point there.

License key would probably still be the best idea, especially if you make an on-line form of license verification and limit it to, for example, 2 runs per license.

Reaction score
License keys should work fine. Using IP addresses, as I said, would be problematic for numerous reasons - many of them already outlined by others in this thread.

The idea is that you randomly generate a long license key and give it to the person that buys the files. The files require a license key, and they check if the license key is valid by connecting to your (the seller of the files) license server.

There are a couple ways I would go about restricting license keys. You can either:

1) Restrict the license key to only X computer activations. Make sure to give the buyer tools to be able to remove their computer from being activated, thus allowing another computer to activate with the license key. This is similar to numerous types of video game's DRM.

2) Restrict the license key to only X online servers. If another server tries to use this license key to get online, they will be denied. It may be wise to give the buyer tools that let them ban (by IP address) connected servers from using the license, which would disconnect the server and make that license unusable for that server. Alternatively, this tool could allow the buyer to use a whitelist of IP addresses with their license. Anyone else that tries to connect isn't allowed. This is probably a better idea (than the aforementioned blacklist).

You also want to make sure that you are able to ban specific IPs from a license key as well as enable/disable it, just in case something happens or the license gets leaked or their payment is bad or whatever.

Back