Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Is Python pointless?

r63

Elite Diviner
Reaction score
I've been looking at the syntax of Python 3.3 recently and can't help thinking the language is a bit pointless and limited, am I wrong or is it really that limited?

Pee Aitch Pee
Reaction score
I have no experience with Python yet, but I know that Google uses it for many of their projects.

• uses Python for many tasks including the backends of web apps such as , , and , as well as for some of its search-engine internals
  • is using Python to implement a / / repository and model management, integration, and transformation system which will be the core infrastructure for its next-generation collaborative engineering environment
  • was originally written in , but was rewritten in Python in 2005
  • uses Python "to maintain its discussion groups"
  • uses Python "to produce maintainable features in record times, with a minimum of developers"

So no, I don't think you can say it's limited and pointless.

Reaction score
I've been looking at the syntax of Python 3.3 recently and can't help thinking the language is a bit pointless and limited, am I wrong or is it really that limited?
Python isn't limited, it just forces you to format your code consistently- which is a good thing.

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I wouldn't say pointless at all.

At the very least, it's a teaching language. It's easy for starters because of the non-strict syntax (although you better learn how to line-indent, because it's what's going to be taking up most of your time).

Aside from that, it's also very widely used because of its stability, and the fact that it is a very low level language.

r63

Elite Diviner
Reaction score
Thanks for all the posts, maybe I've just not looked into the functions enough to use Python to its full potential

Watching from above
Legend
Reaction score
Strictly speaking, the function libraries available have little to do with the design of the language itself. So I wonder whether your real question was about if Python is something you should look into in your current situation considering available libraries and support rather than properties of the language.

r63

Elite Diviner
Reaction score
Functionality* not functions, woops.

Reaction score
Not at ALL.

python is a more flexible lang then others. its completely original aswell. im still learning and its very functional and awesome, but i still go C# over python.

Reaction score
Not at ALL.

python is a more flexible lang then others. its completely original aswell. im still learning and its very functional and awesome, but i still go C# over python.

C# is pretty cool. I was just checking this out, and I'm like, niice...

The thing about python put up against C#, python is almost always more expressive (or dense, lol).

Given their differences, C# is better than python at windows programming, and python is better at linux programming. They are both the golden standard for their purpose, so respect them both. They are also both so much more than helper languages for their favorite OS- they both work cross platform.

Since Python has implied type-casting and C# usually enjoys strict type-casting, the syntax of the two are night and day. C# follows C and Python follows Lisp/Scheme and that.. other side of the programming world. It is amazing that C# adopts ideas from the Lisp side of things, too. But then again, Python has classes. I guess these languages are not so different after-all.

Last edited:
Reaction score
C# is pretty cool. I was just checking this out, and I'm like, niice...

The thing about python put up against C#, python is almost always more expressive (or dense, lol).

Given their differences, C# is better than python at windows programming, and python is better at linux programming. They are both the golden standard for their purpose, so respect them both. They are also both so much more than helper languages for their favorite OS- they both work cross platform.

Since Python has implied type-casting and C# usually enjoys strict type-casting, the syntax of the two are night and day. C# follows C and Python follows Lisp/Scheme and that.. other side of the programming world. It is amazing that C# adopts ideas from the Lisp side of things, too. But then again, Python has classes. I guess these languages are not so different after-all.

every language has classes, they are all built on the same structure giving that if they didn't do it that way the code would be useless.

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Python is VERY flexible..
C# not SO flexible...

Python is cross-plataform.
C# = Windows :)

Their two have classes.. with both you can do OOP
I guess that's it!

Best Commu NA
Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of Python, although I don't know it enough to say I'm content with my Python Knowledge.
One thing I notice about Python that makes it stand out is its speed.
Supa' fast for specific tasks/scripts.

I made this little program all in Python, hoping to turn it into an online server one day:
http://forum.ragezone.com/f705/rel-pokecmd-v1-1-lan-910769/

The code in that release is awful, I started it when I was just learning Python, and updated it as I learned more, so the script is longer than it should be, but it runs flawlessly, with no errors and really fast. (Which as I mentioned before, is why I lurv it)

Elite Diviner
Reaction score
I worked with Python for half a year and I was delighted with it. Unfortunately I have not gone through with the language as I got addicted to PHP somehow, but it is really a very nice language. It is easy to use and learn.

Recommended!

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
What do you say about the difference between 2.7 and 3.3 ?

Back