Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Item Enhancement Information

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
I want to preface this by saying that I have searched the forums high and low about information regarding this. I've taken all of the information I have learned from the posts, and I looked at all of that information, and I compared it to my knowledge of the game and I think I've come to some sort of conclusion or understanding about item enhancement and I need the community to give me a sanity check (again).

So I have been trying to not just figure out how to modify the enhancement rates, but, I have been really trying to understand what makes the enhancement system work and what makes things tick. Now, I know I can go in there and set things in ItemUpgrade.shn to 0 hamfistedly and wheeee my server leet yo. But that doesn't teach me anything except what happens when you 0 a value out. My biggest deficit came from my previous understanding of how the game worked.

For the longest time, and up until earlier this morning, I believed that the game based success or failure on a seed pool system. X amount of available success and failures available to the players base. The more players online enhancing, the more in flux the seed pool is. Every success for a player removes a success from the pool, and same for failures. The pool constantly renews, but, if this were true you could see how playing on a populated server would make enhancing a headache.

My experiences on my own servers have only reinforced that belief because enhancing equipment on my own server by myself was easy as pie. Very little resources consumed. However, I've been talking to people about enhancement rates and they've been asking questions that raised some red flags for me. The biggest one being that, why is it from +8 to +12, the normal fail and down fail rate drops to 3% to 5%? Don't you think that the higher level the item is, the higher that rate should be?

Something wasn't adding up for me. So I did what I always do: I come here and start digging. I came across a post ChubbyCrab made (The absolute legend that they are) that explained what the columns meant. CritFail, Fail, Down Fail, LuckySuc, all of that was pretty self explanatory.

There was just one thing left: nCon.

Knowing what I know about game and server configuration, EVERY value in a file has some sort of purpose and meaning, even if it's a 0 meant as a place holder. So it puzzled me that there was no information on what nCon was. So I opened iteminfo.shn, itemupgrade.shn in the shn viewer and then started recording the UpSucRatio's for the stones. I found it interesting that the stones added a base value for success, but when I looked at the normal fail column for the tier1 +1 rating, the normal fail was 26.8% But, what the hell is that being run against? What are the UpSucRatios being added to? all of that information was just... baffling.

nCon consistently has a pattern of being 50, 45, 40, 35, 30, 25, 20, 15, 10, 5, 5, 5.

So I got to thinking: What if that columns value wasn't 10 = 1%, but 10 = 10%, and the nCon was the base chance of success and there was some kind of formula involved? My idea would go something like this

nCon - FailRate + Stone UpSucRatio + Gold Nine UpSucRatio = % chance of success.

So a T1 0 to +1 would be 50 - 26.8 + 15 + 13 (Let's use regular nines) = 51.2% chance of success

This is the only thing I can think of that would explain why the % failure rates decline the more you enhance the weapon. They go down because the nCon goes down. The only exception to this is the critical failure rate, because the game is designed to force you to lean on the cash shop and buy those Red eyes, so, the 100%+ break rates make sense.

So is there anyone out there who still frequents these boards that can tell me if I'm just crazy, or if I'm on to something? How do you properly read the ItemUpdate.shn chart? What does the UpSucRatio of stones/gold nines stack up against? How is success/failure truly determined?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Back