Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

[Java] Getting Started with games & building your first game with LWJGL 3

◝(⁰▿⁰)◜Smile◝ (⁰▿⁰)◜
Developer
Reaction score
[Java] Getting Started with games & build your first game with LWJGL 3

So I've recently discovered book written for people who want to get started with writing games in OpenGL in LWJGL 3. It's a good book. It's easy to read and understand.

If you want to start developing games then I recommend reading this book / tutorial.

Note; I didn't write any of this, I'm merely sharing this since this is a good book and it is released under license.

The book contains:
  • Getting started
  • Audio
  • Shaders
  • Shadow mapping
  • Texturing
  • Lights
  • Cameras
  • Terrains
  • Collision
  • Particles
  • Skeletal Animation
  • 3D Object Raypicking
  • More..

I hope you'll enjoy this book.

Summary:

Book:
Source Code:

Last edited:
Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Great!
Have you finished reading? We came to apply something?

◝(⁰▿⁰)◜Smile◝ (⁰▿⁰)◜
Developer
Reaction score
Have you finished reading?
I haven't finished everything, but it seems promising for what I've read so far. It's fairly easy to understand and it gives you a nice break down on how things work. You can learn how to implement Skeletal Animation for example that isn't so easy, but the book has it.

It's just a pdf so you can download it and give it a read when you've got the time :)

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)
Reaction score
awesome, i was looking for material like this since i wanted to learn about opengl i guess its time to start learning java.

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Re: [Java] Getting Started with games & build your first game with LWJGL 3

If you want to start developing games then I recommend reading this book / tutorial.

You should mention that it is good for developing small non-windows games.
I personally develop game engines. It would be and is a really bad practice to write 3D games in Java. Memory Allocation is important for games, you can't handle that by yourself when you're using Java and that leads already to a bad way of producing games. People saying, "I use Java so I don't have to worry about the memory allocation/dellocation", don't listen - If so, you failed. Also that Java is or could be faster than C++ is wrong... A high language can't beat a low level language - Only if you set the C/C++-compiler flags false/wrong or messed up the code so heavy that the compiler can't optimize right. You want to be a successful game developer? Sit down and learn C++.

Now you're asking maybe why C# is used then by some people... Well... It's the huge difference between the Common Language Runtime (CLR) and the Java Virtual Machine (JVM). Most developers and users here will already reckon that the CLR is faster than the JVM. The CLR supports different languages, different DLL versions and much more. Java doesn't support the interaction between value and reference types what shows us already its not suited for game development.

Let's talk about OpenGL... It's a nice API but "The Industry Standard for High Performance Graphics" doesn't match the reality when we compare it against DirectX3D on Windows/Xbox. DirectX gives you access to the low level (Hardware), which is awesome, really! Love it! You can handle almost everything. Windows has the majority of the game market. DirectX comes always with better tools and most features are just ported to OpenGL after a few months. Also its easier to port PC games to the Xbox. DirectX3D on a PC would also win against PS4s Graphic API (GNM) - Just watch the rendering detail distance... But it's a console we don't compare them, sure in the future! Xbox One and Ps4 are again another topic, different consoles (Ps4 clearly wins). For small games OpenGL is fine, but when it comes to huge games, with high detailed graphics and great performance pick DirectX11/12 tools (using the Intel C++ compiler if you got cash).

Its important to have the right knowledge and skill for game development.

Last edited:
◝(⁰▿⁰)◜Smile◝ (⁰▿⁰)◜
Developer
Reaction score
@RockstarNorth thanks for the information.

I just want to tell you that this is just an article posted for people who want to build small games. I never claimed it is good for building massive AAA games. So it's fine for the people who have the knowledge of Java and want to use it.

Btw there are some techniques that avoid using the garbage collector by re-using objects. Plus you have to do your own memory management anyways if you are going to use OpenGL in Java due to the Texture loading, VBO & VAO usage etc. These resources need to be disposed after usage. It's often the wrong mindset that makes Java games so bad. New'ing up an object every frame is just bad practice but a lot of people just don't know it.

I'm not going to go into this huge what is better discussion since this is an end-less loop. I agree that compiled C++ can be better performance wise than Java but it all depends on the implementation.

Back