• Unfortunately, we have experienced significant hard drive damage that requires urgent maintenance and rebuilding. The forum will be a state of read only until we install our new drives and rebuild all the configurations needed. Please follow our Facebook page for updates, we will be back up shortly! (The forum could go offline at any given time due to the nature of the failed drives whilst awaiting the upgrades.) When you see an Incapsula error, you know we are in the process of migration.

[News] RuneScape players decide PVP and trade in future update

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
UK-based developer is trying something new: letting players decide a future update to its online game, .

The developers set up an online petition this week asking players if they want to allow "unrestricted free trade," and the player-versus-player combat area called The developers say this move is part of its 10-year anniversary for Runescape.

"We want to celebrate RuneScape's 10th anniversary by offering our loyal community the chance to decide, once and for all, the future of Free Trade and the Wilderness," said , Head of RuneScape, in an announcement this morning."

"When considering game changing decisions such as this we always hold our players' ultimate game experience firmly in mind," added Mark Gerhard, Jagex CEO. "We have released a host of new content which provides a comparable PvP experience to the old Wilderness and mechanics to allow increased trade limits with long term friends but we are still regularly told by players that they want more. We want to find out whether the passionate voices we hear on this topic are truly representative of entire community or just a vocal minority. If the vast majority of our players support of the campaign then we will restore these features to the game as quickly as possible."

Jagex plans to reintroduce unrestricted trade should players approve it. This feature grants players the freedom to donate their wealth or trade items to friends without restriction.

The Wilderness is a player-vs.-player area described by Jagex as the "most dangerous area in RuneScape." The Wilderness gives players a place to fight each other to the death for loot and money using all the features added over the past 10 years such as creature summoning, new curses, more powerful weaponry, armor, and more.

I need money in RS. Help?
Reaction score
This is something that most of us already know. Mod MMG already said the Wilderness and Free Trade ARE coming back. You're just late to hear the news. It's been around for weeks.

I need money in RS. Help?
Reaction score
The vote ended today. They are restarting the server on Monday with free trade and wilderness. Look .

Reaction score
I don't think ALOT of players will rejoin RS.
Of course, the amount of players gets better but people have grown up, i guess.

Anyways, a great move from Jagex.

Back