Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

!(@&*(!@&*( PC freezes

Reaction score
My PC is as good as brand new, got 100% revamped like 1 or 2 months ago.

Specs...:
Code:
Intel DQ35JO Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz
ASUS EAH4890 1GB DDR5
4GB (2x2GB) Kingston DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
HuntKey 550W PSU (cant remember if its 500 or 550. Ducking sucky brand afaik. but hey, the ppl at the store say they've successfully installed it in PC's that run heavy drawing applications and such...)
Nothing's OC'ed, all just standard. It was completely assembled by a professional at a store.

The first time it froze up, I was playing Counter-Strike, I was like wtf :?:
Stuff that happen:
- Audio loop
- Can't move mouse
- CAN turn monitor off/on without probs
- Keyboard loses all functionality (so turning caps lock on/off doesn't make the light go on/off), can't alt-tab, ctrl-alt-delete, etc.
- Can only be solved by forcing a shutdown (just pressing the button on the front of my PC for a few secs)

They happen completely randomly, without any error messages or stuff like that. It's happened while browsing just on my desktop, MSN, games, firefox, photoshop, etc.
I've recently turned off my page file but I also got freezes before that so that won't be the problem.

I've googled for this issue and I found that I need to do a 'MemTest86' thingy as soon as I get a hold of an empty CD. But I don't suspect problems with my brand new RAM :*:

Temperatures are also fine on my PC, only when heavily gaming my CPU tends to get 70+ C but that's because it has a suckass heatsink. My GPU never overheats and the fan speed just increases when necessary.

I'm completely clueless because this is basically a brand new PC and it already cost my dad a lot of money (at least, I think it's a lot) :<:

I'll be happy to give out information if it's required. This just shouldn't be happening!

WHOOOOOO
Loyal Member
Reaction score
try reseating your RAM or switching the slots. works sometimes. probably a bad seating issue.

WHOOOOOO
Loyal Member
Reaction score
yep, likely to be a ram issue. if reseating doesn't work, try using only one stick. test both out. see if it is the socket that is faulty or the ram. send it (ram or motherboard if socket spoiled) in for warranty if possible.

Reaction score
memtest runs now, i tried an earlier version. Wait for results now..

---------- Post added at 02:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:34 PM ----------

duck damnit!
So I was using an earlier version, it all went well up to the first 'Pass' was at ~67%, Test #8 (modulo 20 -blabla- or something), about 1 hr 2 mins in. It rebooted again T_T, just like it does immediately with the latest version.

EDIT:
So now I took one RAM stick out (it was: 2gb-empty-2gb-empty, now it is: 2gb-empty-empty[removed 2gb from here]-empty. the single RAM stick that is left HAS to be in slot 0, the first RAM slot). Now I wait for it to happen again. if not, I know who to blame :p

Last edited:
WHOOOOOO
Loyal Member
Reaction score
if memtest doesn't work, it indicates faulty RAM. test the ram on another system. don't touch this com for now. i recommend changing the PSU to a more respectable brand, hell, you wouldn't know what can get fried with a cheapo lookin/ sounding PSU.

if the RAM works, you motherboard's ram socket's fried i guess. since its relatively new, i suggest sending it down to the shop and then asking him to change to a different PSU (coolermaster, corsair, seasonic) top up a lil if needed. its worth the buck.

of course, my info might not be totally accurate. you may want to either wait for more comments by the more experienced guys around or send it down to the store.

Reaction score
70 degrees is too hot, and heat has strange and varied effects.
major effect being freezes.

use riva tuner to max out your fanspeed, open the case up and stress test in css or some other game that crashes your computer.
try to recreate the problem in ideal conditions.

Reaction score
70 degrees is too hot, and heat has strange and varied effects.
major effect being freezes.

use riva tuner to max out your fanspeed, open the case up and stress test in css or some other game that crashes your computer.
try to recreate the problem in ideal conditions.

I have to agree, 70 is too hot for a CPU.

Either:
1. Get a better CPU cooler
2. Get better thermal paste (ie. Arctic Silver 5) and re-apply
3. Get more case fans

Reaction score
70+ degrees even, but only while I like, run Mirror's Edge on max quality 1440x900, or in a heavy MW2 firefight.

If the issue isn't in my RAM sticks, I'm surely replacing my cpu heatsink. Thermal paste has been reapplied very short ago and should be optimal.
Adding a case fan is also a good option perhaps. Any suggestions on placement?

Reaction score
70+ degrees even, but only while I like, run Mirror's Edge on max quality 1440x900, or in a heavy MW2 firefight.

If the issue isn't in my RAM sticks, I'm surely replacing my cpu heatsink. Thermal paste has been reapplied very short ago and should be optimal.
Adding a case fan is also a good option perhaps. Any suggestions on placement?

Was it re-applied, or is all this stuff just new? The reason i said to re-apply it is because the "OEM" paste that comes with the Heatsink is horrible.

Reaction score
if your cpu overheats, and then crashes the computer, then any memory tests will be useless. since any excess stress on the cpu would overheat it and the instability could create false positive bad memory results.

btw how DO YOU KNOW that your graphics card isnt overheating ?
i have had 4850 and 4870 and 4870x2 and all of them are really hot.
i had to go with non standard design, because stock hsf is inadequate.

give us some temperatures.

Reaction score
Okay, temps (not completely averaged out or anything, just after a few hours it's been on and playing a maxed out game for ~2 hours):
Idle GPU: 44C, 1600RPM. Stressed GPU (gaming on max all): ~60C max. >2100RPM.
Idle CPU: 44C, 800-900RPM (this rpm never changes, even with:) Stressed CPU: 65-75C (75 is the utter limit it goes).

I keep temps & RPM's measured all times with Everest Ultimate edition. I've seen my CPU get >75C and NOT causing one of these freezes. I'm quite sure that cpu/gpu heat is not the issue...

I could replace my CPU heatsink just for to keep temps <60, but I don't think buying a new one solves these freezes.

I haven't had any with the 2 sticks seperate btw, both were in (with PC on of course, and a game running on max settings) for roughly 14 hours each.

I've now put them both back in and I'll see when I get another freeze.

Reaction score
After I took them both out seperately, had them in seperately, put them both back in again. So ~20 hours of uptime after putting them back in together it froze again.

EDIT:
Just happened again T_T. ~9 hours now. I might be able to get an old 3GB of RAM together and stick it in.
I already found 2x512 old mem now, gonna try the 512's+one stick of 2GB now, see what I get >.>

EDIT2:
Got 2 freezes with [2gb|512mb|empty|512mb] overnight, all after not even 90 minutes. trying the other 2gb stick now.
I must say that when I took the 2gb stick out it felt kind of (too?) hot... Not that it'd burn my fingers but it just felt more than warm... IMO it's because of the heat produced by my GPU and CPU together... Would getting a new heatsink for my CPU take care of it? (read up a few posts)

Last edited:
Ginger by design.
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Volatile RAM gets warm. Electricity has to flow through it constantly to maintain the state or else it's useless, and the resistance of the transistors and wires warms it up, though not nearly as much as a CPU or GPU core.

I'd just suggest open airing the thing, and if you don't feel comfortable removing everything and tabletopping it with a nice fan, just take the sides of the case off and getting a huge box fan blowing the coolest air you can through the case while testing. If things start working properly because of the extra airflow and lower temps, it's because something is overheating.

Also, 70c is way too warm for a CPU. As I've read, quad core 2 duos get quite warm, but the stock cooler with decent air flow in the case, if it's seated properly with a thermal agent applied CORRECTLY, it should be able to keep it well under 55c even under stress (my i7 at 3.5GHz barely touches 55c under extreme stress for 10+ minutes). Professionals usually don't do a great job because they aren't always experts, and a lot of the times they get sloppy while trying to make a buck. The thermal compound used should completely cover the contact surface with a very thin coating (not super thick and gunky), also the HSF should be very well secured and firmly in place (even one of the snaps not being properly engaged can cause poor contact).

TBH if your system can run at 90 minutes and play games without crashing, your CPU isn't overheating (though it's getting hot, the HSF is almost certainly not properly seated), it sounds more like a memory issue.

Back