Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Processor Upgrade Possible?

Legendary Battlemage
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I recently bought an HP dv4-1551dx.
I'm pretty satisfied with all the specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo T6600 2.20GHz
Intel 4 Series Graphics (4500)
4GB RAM
320 GB HDD Space
Broadcom 802.11b/g

BUT, I want to upgrade the processor, since it doesn't support Intel-VT.

For the dv4t (customizable version on HP's online website), you can choose between the T6600, some other processor, and the P8700, which has a clock speed of 2.53, and supports Intel-VT. I also want to upgrade my WiFi card to the Intel Wifi Link 1000 BGN

However, HP says that the P8700 and the 1000BGN most likely won't be compatible, since it isn't listed in Partsurfer.

But then again, my current processor isn't listed in Partsurfer either, so I guess HP is telling me that my current processor isn't compatible either.

What do you guys think, compatible or incompatible (for the processor and wifi card)?

Reaction score
One of the CPU's are intel, the other one is AMD. The WIFI chip slots into the motherboard. One of the CPU's will require a different motherboard, which may not accomodate for a WIFI card.

Are you actually asking us if we know more about Dell's products than they do?

Legendary Battlemage
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Huh?
I'm talking about my HP dv4-1551dx...not a dell PC.
I'm just saying that if you look under the parts for Pavilion dv4-1551dx in the HP partsurfer, you'll find that the Core 2 Duo T6600 (the default processor that came with my PC), isn't listed.

And since HP says that any part that isn't listed might not be compatible...PartSurfer must be really unreliable.

I was just asking, that since the dv4t allows you to choose between some Intel processors, including the P8700, which I want, shouldn't the my dv4 also be compatible?

WHOOOOOO
Loyal Member
Reaction score
wouldn't changing your processor void your warranty?

Legendary Battlemage
Loyal Member
Reaction score
HP says that if you get the processor "professionally" upgraded, like by Geek Squad or something, it won't void your warranty.

Anyways, I did some researching, and I share the same motherboard with the dv4t, which can use the Core 2 Duo P8700: the Compal 30F7.

And yet HP still tells me that it might not be compatible with the motherboard...is this possible?

Legendary Battlemage
Loyal Member
Reaction score
The dv4t only allows intel processors...

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Big question: What is the socket for the motherboard?

Answer: Because your current processor uses a PGA478 socket, theoretically any processor that fits a PGA478 (aka Socket 478) could be used. There are other factors (like can you cool it), but I'd consider that the big one. You shouldn't have any problems with any 478 unless your BIOS is stupid. The P8700 fits a 478, so it should work.

Last edited:
Master Summoner
Reaction score
Big question: What is the socket for the motherboard?

Answer: Because your current processor uses a PGA478 socket, theoretically any processor that fits a PGA478 (aka Socket 478) could be used. There are other factors (like can you cool it), but I'd consider that the big one. You shouldn't have any problems with any 478 unless your BIOS is stupid. The P8700 fits a 478, so it should work.

This dude is right :thumbup1:
By the way most HP computer suckz,
Just make your own pc i prefer "alternate"
Good LuCk with :D

A tip :
Make sure if you gonna build the processor onto your computer
you dont mess thing up XD .

Legendary Battlemage
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

HP gave me a link to their parts store...

It basically looks like a P8700 they tuned down or something... 2.2GHz and a 35 watt TDP...

Is there some difference between that $400 and this one?

I see a lower TDP and the normal 2.53GHz.
PLUS a $195 discount.

Reaction score
Dont upgrade your laptop processor, just dont.
laptops are notorious for overheating, i have personally replaced 3 hp motherboards in the last 2 years, because the graphics card or the cpu burned the motherboard.
its a pain in the butt to disassemble and to reassemble.

unlike pcs, laptops dont have custom hsf, so when you pop in a processor that produces 80~90 degrees you just enjoy the heat and watch things cook.

Legendary Battlemage
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Dont upgrade your laptop processor, just dont.
laptops are notorious for overheating, i have personally replaced 3 hp motherboards in the last 2 years, because the graphics card or the cpu burned the motherboard.
its a pain in the butt to disassemble and to reassemble.

unlike pcs, laptops dont have custom hsf, so when you pop in a processor that produces 80~90 degrees you just enjoy the heat and watch things cook.

Lol, you should turn your laptop into a cheap heater. :p

But what causes the overheating?
If you use thermal grease, a fan, and a heatsink, shouldn't everything be ok?

Oh, and can the P8700 use my current heatsink and fan, or does it need it's own?

Reaction score
The heatsink for the CPU is fixed for that motherboard. Get a new CPU which runs hotter, and it will run hotter, there is no getting a new heatsink to make it cooler. This is because the cpu coolers for each motherboard are attacked to the heatsinks of the other major chips on the motherboard.

Higher clock speeds, more cores, more cache... it all makes it hotter.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Now I'm not entirely certain how that laptop is setup, but for instance with mine, I did upgrade, but I was able to upgrade the main fan which happened to pull air across the processor's heatsink, and didn't have any problems.

However I would recommend getting it done professionally if you want it done, because most laptops are as tight to get to as getting to a Porsche 911 Turbo's engine. Most of them even have glued parts, though those are usually faceplates. And be real sure that the guy touching that laptop is HP Hardware certified. If you want to do this on your own you'll need a static mat, and keep track of where every screw went, because missing one is almost certain to happen if you don't, and it usually ends badly.

Reaction score
Now I'm not entirely certain how that laptop is setup, but for instance with mine, I did upgrade, but I was able to upgrade the main fan which happened to pull air across the processor's heatsink, and didn't have any problems.

However I would recommend getting it done professionally if you want it done, because most laptops are as tight to get to as getting to a Porsche 911 Turbo's engine. Most of them even have glued parts, though those are usually faceplates. And be real sure that the guy touching that laptop is HP Hardware certified. If you want to do this on your own you'll need a static mat, and keep track of where every screw went, because missing one is almost certain to happen if you don't, and it usually ends badly.

unless you have details of your specific laptop model and from what to what you upgraded.
how much you spent and so on, your post is invalid.

Back