Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Question - Why do people run Private Servers?

Reaction score
I see so many servers come and go (inc mine btw) and wonder what drives people to run a MMPRPG Server 24/7, adding to it etc when they know they can not make any money from this (illegal etc + people wont pay anyhow) and sooner or later the person running the server is going to get sick and close it down.

I would like to hear your views why people want to run a Public MMORPG?

My Reason was mainly to prove i could do better then another one that was running (though this other one still is -- lol) and to show the bugs could be fixed etc....Reason i shut it down was i could not use my own bandwidth as i wanted to, such as WebCam to friends, uploading was out of the question and so forth..

Reaction score
I got a better question for you , why do some ppl even pick the server files play with them but never host a server ( my case )

Well about your question , i use the server files to raise my knowledgement on coding , gm relationship etc etc

look to muonline , i got bored , i had the server files i helped ppl and suddenly i got bored because ppl wouldnt give a **** reading a simple manual ( yes it was simple for me ) and follow the instructions , I rarely play a private server that I have the files , I do get bored.

but its more to learn coding on my case, I did helped a couple of official servers on some bug fixes , I tried to help some on hacking tools ( how to prevent them ) but they didnt listened to me

Reaction score
OK then - you could say the same for me really then - i prefer the technical side of the server rather than actualyl playing it - i ran a mir3 server to "live test it" if you like. I have set up a few more (from here) with little problems and now moving onto help write maybe a new one from scratch - hard i know but well worth the effort.

I agree that there is some who "can" and have no problems with SQL, Hexing and so forth and others need a complete guide and lots of posts to get started - though i have been in COmputers since i was 14 years old, now 37 and work with them on a daily basis (server side)..

Reaction score
yes i tend to have a little problem with it

cos for me someone who can or who should run servers , should have certain qualities , I knew mysql before trying Mu , i was a "complete" noob on mssql but well nothing like a good book and some search to understand it

what makes me enjoy nowadays is doing some translations , chinese to english.

but problem or not a problem is that more and more ppl wants to run a private server without knowing what they are doing. they just want to host the thing without even learning what they can do.

Its possible to make addons to the servers , but they dont even give a **** trying it.

well i'm 27 and i kinda work 20 hours on server side ;) kinda fun for 1 side kinda stupid for another , i managed to forget university , my time is diferent ( lets say I'm on gmt and i'm living like I was on china or on the us ( I sleep during my daytime and I'm awaked during the night )

but yes for me its the technical side of it.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
they do it because they enjoy the game and they want to make it there way because other ppls servers didnt do it for em maybe :S

Cuteh
Banned
Reaction score
i play p server to spend some time not get bored while im @ home

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
people host servers mayb to give something to the gaming community - an enjoyable gaming experience, or just because they like dealing with the technical side of runnin a server, or mayb they want recognition for what they can achieve, there are a number of reasons, all different from person to person :)

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Akaruz is the master of servers and he'll explain the answer! And that's the bottom line because the Aka of Akaruz just Ducking said so, hahaa!

For real, private servers are awesome, for those that have jobs and cant be playing all day for a lvl or so, and those that cant afford to P2P. I really enjoyed a few of them here on RZ and thats why we have alot of members because we all are gamers and sort of a familiy :good:

Wacha gonna do Squaresoft, when FFXI is next!!!!!!!

Reaction score
Hulkster said:
Wacha gonna do Squaresoft, when FFXI is next!!!!!!!

well there's a game i wouldnt mind to study , unfortunately could be impossible eheh if Wow is 2gb d/l this one should be like 10gb

might need 1 pc to each map , and maybe a couple to login and auth

Reaction score
Get over it Hulk, there are probably private server files out there, but no computers to host it. I put an emphasis on the plural form of computer.

Anyway, I do it to show that I'm not an idiot when it comes to computers. It's a good way to practice programming, so I enjoy it. Like Takuo said, I live to see how the game runs, not just play it :good:

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Well i host my forestia server for knowledge of database control as Akuraz stated

Plus its fun seeing people lvling under my work... makes me happy ^^ seeing my work helps bring a slight pleasure to people.

Reaction score
Terabyte said:
I would like to hear your views why people want to run a Public MMORPG?
This may sound as a spoiler, but knowing the human nature, I will tell you that most of them, will run the server just for the pleasure to say "I am the admin".

How many you know that wanted to have their own irc channel, their own irc server, their own "insert whatever you want here"???

It's greed for knowness. It's a way to look for self-realization, something to show others that they are "superior" beings.

I call them jerks.

Supreme Arcanarch
Loyal Member
Reaction score
i think p. servers are made for the personal enjoyment of the owner, wether it be from learning how it works, or becoming a powerful being (admin). But to Hulkster i don't think FFXI will get to us in the poor or busy department. Because as afore mentioned it would put to big a strain to be ran on a normal personal computer, and i dont THINK that many ppl here would have the time, money, bandwidth, or patience to make one of that. Though it would be nice to see one, i doubt it's ever gonna happen. Sadly i also doubt the chances of us getting a WoW private server (which is what i have been greatly anticipating), because no one has the client files, just making emulators that dont work completely right. . . yet. But keep on dreaming.

Reaction score
Well there are already 5-10 WoW private servers out there, so At least you can play a private server. Though I have no idea where you can get the files, I heard most of them just coded it themselves, which is pretty crazy if you ask me.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Ok ok, FFXI is out of my question for me....so lets concentrate with this WOW game. Can't you just buy the software at a local gamestop store or something? Shouldn't be no more then $29.95

Supreme Arcanarch
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Most of those dumb servers are still running Beta1 and i only DLed beta2 for it, which took about a week, and now i can't install it because i dont have a f***ing authentification key which is the VERY first thing that u are asked for when installing WoW beta2, and blizz is monitoring the gotwow? ppl so they can't do much illegal stuff, so they are useless in that area.

the software as in game? or what do u mean? because currently the game is in beta, and i probably wouldn't be able to buy it anyways :( . . . too bad though, because so far i have only heard good reviews from the ppl who have played it saying "it already looks better than all the games already out there, AND ITS STILL IN BETA" and "WoW isn't about promises, its about delivering" and stuff like that. i mean every time i hear details about the game that are new to me make me say to myself "OMG, i gotta become a hacker to get that" but them i remember that im too lazy to learn anything and then i say "OMG, i gotta get a job someday to pay for that" but then i remember that im too lazy to work, so THEN i say "OMG, i gotta become a programmer, so I can make that" but then i remember AGAIN that im too lazy to learn anything, so THEN i say " OMG, im a poor, lazy, little kid. IM SCREWED (though not literally)" sorry if i sound crazy to u, im just REALLY bored right now.

p.s. oh yeah the most interesting things ive heard about it so far is that Warlocks use the traditional "Mana" to cast spells, while warriors use "rage" to use skills, and "rage" builds up only during battles. Another thing that sounds cool about it is the Two-Headed Ogre Race, which is a character shared by two ppl randomly, which can be like a permanent party, or a huge fight, depending on who u get partnered up with.

Reaction score
First off, you should have a CD-Key in the file you downloaded, if not, PM me. 2nd off, I know about 5 WoW beta 2 private servers out, again, PM me if you want em. They don't have much, one of the servers has monsters, but it is VERY unstable, the most stable one only has worldporting and emotes, and of course talking to each other.

Reaction score
DarkTemplar said:
This may sound as a spoiler, but knowing the human nature, I will tell you that most of them, will run the server just for the pleasure to say "I am the admin".

How many you know that wanted to have their own irc channel, their own irc server, their own "insert whatever you want here"???

It's greed for knowness. It's a way to look for self-realization, something to show others that they are "superior" beings.

I call them jerks.

you have issues :thefinger

Back