Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

The Thinnest Material Ever

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
Scientists have created the thinnest material in the world and predict that it will revolutionise computing and medical research.

A layer of carbon has been manufactured in a film only one atom thick that defies the laws of physics. Placed in layers on top of each other it would take 200,000 membranes to reach high enough to match the thickness of a human hair.

The substance, graphene, was created two years ago but could be made only when stuck to another material. Researchers have now managed to manufacture it as a film suspended between the nanoscale bars of scaffolding made from gold.

Such a feat was held to be impossible by theorists, backed up by experimentation, because it is in effect a two-dimensional crystal that is supposed to be destroyed instantly by heat.

Wow...not sure where else to post this..but wow. The thickness of an atom? What will we think of next? :O

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
wow to be thin thats THIN! man wtf can u do with that in your daily lives... well i hope it gets used for some good things!

image a PC and a PC structure that would be like 10x5x20 cmor less... that would be wicked!

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
wow to be thin thats THIN! man wtf can u do with that in your daily lives... well i hope it gets used for some good things!

image a PC and a PC structure that would be like 10x5x20 cmor less... that would be wicked!

If the Material is strong enough..It could be used instead of Latex in Condoms..!! :D

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
haha i was sooo gonna post something about that :p

:D --- But One question...!! If its as thick as the size of an atom.. how the fk are we gonna see it? They gonna provide a mag-glass along with it..?

Divine Celestial
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I'm not too surprised. Carbon does have some rather interesting structural properties. (Nanotubes, Diamond, Buckminsterfullerenes, etc.)

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I'm not too surprised. Carbon does have some rather interesting structural properties. (Nanotubes, Diamond, Buckminsterfullerenes, etc.)

bucky balls, i remember a lesson where we had a massive model of it which i put on my head, happy days

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Hope they make thongs and bras with this material....

*still exists*
Loyal Member
Reaction score
wouldent be transparent.... but would look damn weird... everything would look blury on its surface i guess..... It's not dense enough to provent light from going through it o___0

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Damn that's small, lol if they lost the only proof.. xD

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
or dropped it on the floor

duck you, I'm a dragon
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Does being as thick as an atom make it transparent..? Dont think so..!!

Depends, the thickness of material has nothing to do with the transparency of the material.

Divine Celestial
Loyal Member
Reaction score
It's not transparent but it's as thick as an atom. If you can see atoms in plain sight, you're a new step in evolution >_>.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
needs to be a few thousand atoms to see, even then its only a slight shimmer

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Its Atomic - Not Visible to the Naked Eye - Invisible
But its present there. So what do we see? We see through it? Not possible technically. Coz it aint transparent. WHAT DO WE SEEEE?

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
we see nothing, thats it, nothing at all.

Back