Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Upgrading CPU/Motherboard - Medium range gaming.

Reaction score
Hey, I screwed up my CPU/motherboard when removing the stock cooler, the CPU was attached to it and I didn't notice it until I picked it up off the table, anyway I was looking for a new CPU and motherboard, I'm currently running (or was running) a HP/Compaq machine which has restrictions on it eg. my RAM can't go max, 4GB max etc anyway I'm looking for a new board and CPU under basically $300aud including P&H.

I can basically only get from online stores since there's no decent and cheap PC store(s) around where I live and I don't think I would be able to get to any places out that way unless it was after work (I finish @ 5pm around Mascot area), anyway what I'm looking for is something for a bit of performance but not over the top where I'm bu

Uses; watching DVD's, some gaming (I'm pretty much addicted to Battlefield 2, a bit of COD:MW2, and some other games I might get), and that's basically as far is it goes in terms of my higher usage, I don't do any video editing or anything like that.

What I was thinking originally was getting below and that would take me close to $300aud I believe (just over with P&H)

CPU ~ .
Motherboard ~ .

I have pretty much everything else I need.

Stuff from previous rig I can use.
Code:
Memory - DDR2 PC2 8500 ~ 1066MHZ.
Case - Thermaltake v3.
HDD;
 - 1 x 250GB 7200rpm.
 - 1 x 1.5TB 5400rpm.
 Fans;
       - CPU fan ~ Blue Orb II
       - Case fan ~ 2 x 120mm fan
 - couple of 80mm fans.

Any suggestions? I don't really want to go higher then $300.

oh and as an added incentive I believe I can unlock the fourth core and bring it to 3.0GHz safely, even 3.2GHz probably.

Last edited:
WHOOOOOO
Loyal Member
Reaction score
at that price point, amd chips are good. look for reviews for chips and motherboards. look out for features you want and not want (multi gpu, IDE etc)

Reaction score
at that price point, amd chips are good. look for reviews for chips and motherboards. look out for features you want and not want (multi gpu, IDE etc)
Yeah there's mixed reactions to the motherboard, some have trouble OC'ing and some find it easy, I'm a nub, I've never overclocked so I haven't lost my cherry but with this board and CPU I think I'll give it a go after reading up on it a bit.

Motherboard reviews were good, a user of newegg wrote about not being able to have a aftermarket CPU cooler since the ram lock is in the way, and that's one of the problems I was facing with my CPU/motherboard, I was about 7mm off being able to add a 120mm fan at the top of the case, but none the less, I'm fairly sure I'm going to give it a go at the end of the month depending if I find something better or not.

Reaction score
Sorry Park, on my way out atm so not able to run through specs ect, i'll do it when i ge home.

Howeer, look up PCCG -

I always order my PC stuff from them if i can't get it locally, the prices are competative and shipping to Perth takes roughly 3 days.

Reaction score
No probs Rish, checked PCCG first (brought other hardware from them), but they don't have much stock at the moment (only 7 AMD CPU's :(:), plus Megabuy has been getting good rep from the guys over at Whirlpool & they accept Paypal as a payment option which is an added bonus.

Last edited:
Back