• Unfortunately, we have experienced significant hard drive damage that requires urgent maintenance and rebuilding. The forum will be a state of read only until we install our new drives and rebuild all the configurations needed. Please follow our Facebook page for updates, we will be back up shortly! (The forum could go offline at any given time due to the nature of the failed drives whilst awaiting the upgrades.) When you see an Incapsula error, you know we are in the process of migration.

Upgrading Laptop Video Card

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I just bought a Gateway MX6927 on Ebay, and now I am wondering if I will be able to throw in a Geforce Go 7 Series (preferably 7600GT+). I have been pretty much unable to find legitimate motherboard specs/pictures for the model. I will note that it has an Intel Graphics Accelerator 950 which leads me to believe (due to some articles I have read) that I will be unable to do the upgrade.

Assuming there is a slot open, or that I can remove something non-essential to insert the card, will I be able to fit the card inside the case? Will there be too much heat? What will this do to battery life (the 7950GTX Go runs at 45W, I am assuming the 7600GT would be the same or less)?

And last, has anyone done upgrades/mods to their laptops? I have been to a few other forums with people talking about making modded heatsinks and such... I have never opened a laptop lol.

Any advice would be appreciated.

(Stats)

Core Duo 1.73Ghz, T2300 I believe
2GB DDR2 (speed not recalled)
160GB HDD
No OS
Intel Graphics Accelerator 950 (yuck)

Reaction score
The thing with laptops is that upgrading GPU is very very limited.

If you have intergraded video then you can't. In your case. That is what you have.

If you had a PCI-Express slot for a GPU on your laptop. Then you are limited to the ones that the manufacture has made for your model as each one is made for a specific housing.

NoPeace - out

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
That is very disappointing. What are the chances that the motherboard would have onboard graphics as well as an open PCI-E slot? lol... not much eh?

Is there any way to add on PCI-E slot---through modding and such? I need to be able to play WoW and such games on the laptop...

Or what about that external video card adapter thing? Is that available yet? Any info on cost?

Better yet, is there any PCMCIA slot graphics card out there?

Basically, what are my chances of getting an acceptable graphics card on this laptop?

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
i know this is off topic, Nopeace,i think you should make an laptop buying guide. that would be nice, for people that wanted buy laptops.

just a thought

Reaction score
i know this is off topic, Nopeace,i think you should make an laptop buying guide. that would be nice, for people that wanted buy laptops.

just a thought

dont see the need tbfh.

its a laptop, if you r buying one then its most probably not for gaming. if it is, then look for one that has a good gfx card already built in.

not that hard o_O

Divine Celestial
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Short answer: You can't, lol.

Long answer: With a LOT of time and money and some 1337 soldering skillz... maybe.

Reaction score
That is very disappointing. What are the chances that the motherboard would have onboard graphics as well as an open PCI-E slot? lol... not much eh?

Not with your board.

Is there any way to add on PCI-E slot---through modding and such? I need to be able to play WoW and such games on the laptop...

Yes. Learn computer engineering and gain 1337 soldering skillz as username1 said.

Or what about that external video card adapter thing? Is that available yet? Any info on cost?

It's not available yet and wont be for a few months. Cost would be probably $100-200 + the cost of the video card.

Better yet, is there any PCMCIA slot graphics card out there?

Not as far as I know.

Basically, what are my chances of getting an acceptable graphics card on this laptop?

Little to none any time soon.

just a thought

Get a Dell.

NoPeace - out

Back