What would i learn?

Supreme Arcanarch
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Well, its that time of year again. The time when all the hot chicks are on the beaches, the time when all the ppl wanna stay inside, yes its SUMMER!!!!! :evil: I wanna find something to do that will take up a lot of my free time, so im thinking about running a private server, because im thinking about becoming a programmer, and i heard that i would learn some programming by doing this. I dont really plan on making a server for ALL to enjoy, just to make on to say i made one. So please post what i knowledge gain by running a private server.

p.s. im sorry if this is wrong place to post this

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hmmm, ask akaruz, he knows alot about servers.......

Reaction score
What would you learn by hosting a private server? Depends on the game really. If you host a game, say like Aglaia Online, you would learn pretty much nothing, as nothing is modifyable. Say you host a game like Mir2 or something, there you can make maps, modify them, create new items (I think?). So your options are pretty good there.

My suggestion, if you really want to begin to learn programming, try out Ragnarok Online Hosting. As the game is very modifyable (can't modify maps, but pretty much anything else you can), so you can create scripts and stuff, which are pretty much an intro into programming. So I would reccommend that.

Supreme Arcanarch
Loyal Member
Reaction score
ok, i wanna run a server that is simple to run, yet (as you said) pretty modifiable. If anyone knows some servers like that i would also greatly appreciate it.

Everybody loves DTB
Legend
Reaction score
Elessar said:
Well, its that time of year again. The time when all the hot chicks are on the beaches, the time when all the ppl wanna stay inside, yes its SUMMER!!!!! :evil: I wanna find something to do that will take up a lot of my free time, so im thinking about running a private server, because im thinking about becoming a programmer, and i heard that i would learn some programming by doing this. I dont really plan on making a server for ALL to enjoy, just to make on to say i made one. So please post what i knowledge gain by running a private server.

p.s. im sorry if this is wrong place to post this

You Won't Learn To Program By Hosting Servers Much.

Get Visual Basic 6 And Start With That, Then Use Java/C++

Reaction score
Actually I think he would be better off with Basic, at least in my opinion. VB is so damn wordy, got on my nerves. Go from Basic to java to c++, because out of those three c++ is the hardest in my opinion, due to the fact that there are so many things not in there, a major thing is the String data type (I know there are a bunch of libraries for it).

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
No offence but don't make the mistake that many people (including myself) have done which is doing duck all but sit at a computer screen. Get yaself out instead and duck a private server lol. Just my opinion though. ^^

Reaction score
in my opinion if you r really new into programming u should first go 2 pascal, it's a pretty gd language 2 learn the basics of programming then go 2 c++ the most powerfull toy 2 play with memory ^^

Reaction score
Capricorn said:
No offence but don't make the mistake that many people (including myself) have done which is doing duck all but sit at a computer screen. Get yaself out instead and duck a private server lol. Just my opinion though. ^^
:good:

Back