Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

What's the difference between the DCRs and Database?

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
I get the server side, but is DCRs (and it's contained in emulators, or am i wrong) the client side and database the content within the retro?

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I will try to answer your question, even though i am not 100% sure what you are asking.

DCRs and SWFs
DCRs are indeed the client which users play on, if the Hotel uses Shockwave. More modern hotels work with SWFs (ShockWave Flash). Those client files are embedded within a webpage (called client page or traditionally, "loader") with the parameters set to the ip of the host server. On that ip then a "server emulator" is ran, which is called emulator because it emulates the official servers it mimics.

The server emulator and the database
That server emulator is connected to a SQL database, where it stores all kinds of information such as user rooms, avatar looks and which badges you have. So the server both writes to that database and reads from it.

Very old emulators used to write down data like that in flat .txt files, but everyting got more fancy, and SQL databases have been the standard for a long time now.

CMS and database
Another way the database comes into play is with the CMS (Content Management System). That home page your hotel uses, which displays your character and your motto etc, that also talks to the SQL database. Not only for the fancier stuff such as retrieving and displaying information about your Habbo, but even more basic things such as logging in with your credentials. It needs that connection with the SQL database to compare if what a user types in is the correct username and password.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Reaction score
Those clients are "cracked" to talk not to Sulake's official servers, but an ip of a hotel owner's choice. On that ip then a "server emulator" is ran, which is called emulator because it emulates the official servers it mimics.

They're cracked in the sense that the encryption keys have been replaced / removed and that the game server host check has been bypassed.
Configuring which server to talk to is already done through the client page using the flash parameters.

Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
They're cracked in the sense that the encryption keys have been replaced / removed and that the game server host check has been bypassed.
Configuring which server to talk to is already done through the client page using the flash parameters.
Thanks for clarifying that. I have replaced the part about cracking altogether, as to not confuse the OP.

Upvote 0
Back