Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Which firewall to use with PT server

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hello,

I wonder which firewall is comfortable with PT server.
I tried windows firewall and it made my host restart every time. also tried comodo firewall pro and it made it restart every time.
is there any firewall that can be comfortable with PT server?

Also I tried PeerGuardian and after i putted IP there it didn't block it from enter in the server.

Thank you

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
PeerGurdian development stopped years ago... development has restarted under the name .

It's not ideal for PT, and you certainly don't want to use any of the pre-defined lists... but to manually block a hacker, it's fairly reasonable. Probably best for a little temporary blocker on your Game Server... of course, your primary firewall should NOT be installed Game Server PC, but on your local Gatway server.

A lot of the choice depends on what your Dedi provider uses, unless you work from home... in which case, it's a matter of what OS you use on your gateway / domain controller PC. If you use a Windows Domain Gateway server, then probably the best choice is one of the modules for ISA server. If your gateway server is Linux or BSD based (or any other *nix) then is probably your best bet.

OpenBSD provides a built in "pf" command line, and can be FreeBSD provides command which can be more comprehensive, but less "hidden" from attackers. is pretty comprehensive and operates in so simple a way as to be difficult to break (externally) and works on any *nix platform. For Linux ONLY, is supposedly pretty all encompassing.

The general answer is... NO FIREWALL which will operate on non-server editions of Windows OS, and very few which work on Windows Servers. ISA is the only one that is worth using on Windows, and then ONLY with something like a Symantec ISA plugin... by which point the system is so complex that it is far too easy to leave holes for hackers to compromise.

However, there is a hardware firewall built in to even the most simple of home Routers. A CISCO business router is the most advanced and fail-safe hardware firewall, but Linksys routers are very competent, and are now owned by CISCO so for a cheap hardware solution, you can go with that. Personally, I prefer the control panels provided by Netgear routers... especially the Small Business models, the 12-25 port gigabit Ethernet ones. Additionally, you can install Linux on a , and have the best of both worlds. :wink:

If you are still adamant that you want something on a Winblows box, I would recommend going back and finding an OLD OLD copy of BlackIce Firewall Pro, (no longer available since IBM bought out the ISS system it was based on) and running it on Win2K. is done by the same team, under a new name, but I really don't rate it as anything better than Commodo. Which is to say, it's great for personal users protecting a single workstation while browsing, playing games and running office products, but no good for protecting a server which is hosting internet services. :wink:

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Just have every single port that you are not using blocked. Many dedicated servers come that way already and you actually have to enable ports instead of disabling them. Still, you don't really need a firewall. Just keep everything up2date, do not run services you do not need, keep passwords complex, disallow remote access to DB's if you can, and things of that nature.

<irrelevant story> Lol @ BlackIce. I used that one ages ago because I thought the name was cool. End up resource editing the system tray icons because the blinking was so annoying. Afterward, I switched to ZoneAlarm...and end up resource editing the crap out of that interface to change it from "ugly schoolbus yellow" to a blue color :x </irrelevant story>

Last edited:
Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Ahh... maybe I should still be more specific about the version then. The copy of BlackIce I used ran as an NT Service in the background with NO user interface what-so-ever. Not even in the system tray.

It did have a GUI you could use to edit the filter lists, or you could just change them in a text editor, which is what I did most of the time.

I sadly don't remember what version number it was I used.

Anyway... the port blocking is about right, and should be the way any router comes... it's also the way server versions of Windows come, and the way any Mac comes, which is largely why you don't need a firewall on a Mac, or Linux, or BSD, or if you connect to the internet via a router instead of plugging your PC straight into the modem. BTW... many modems are now Router/Modems, and have the Routers port / IP blocking built into them, at which point even that is okay.

SME routers can be administered easier via a secure remote connection... which allows your server application to add and apply IP blocks from the logs produced by the game server. That is always a plus. But you will have to write your own script / program to interface between the two, as there is no standard at either end.

Last edited:
Back