Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Windows Virtual PC

Reaction score
I've installed windows virtual PC on my pc with specs:
Intel DQ35JO Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz
ASUS EAH4890 1GB DDR5
2GB (1x2GB) Kingston DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM (only 1 of my 2 2gb sticks in atm for testing purposes)
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 (GENUINE!)
HuntKey 550W PSU

And I have a virtual OS running (windows XP) with 256mb of ram and 16gigs of HDD space, all goes well... Sort of then :p

The CPU usage on it is 90%+ really fast, even with just 2 programs on. I have a quad-core CPU, can't I 'give' the virtual os some CPU speed or something :$:?

Before this I've also tried using Sun VirtualBox, but that gave a 100% CPU usage with even less programs on, so that made it unbearable to use.

So, what's the problem? Is my quadcore not supported by either of them or something?

Another remark: running one application on my host OS (the one with windows media center) takes my CPU temp 70+, while running it on the virtual OS it's way lower (still too high, but getting better cooling by mail in 2 days or so :p:)

Thanks,

~Elite.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Quad cores count for nothing, XP can only use 2. So unless you are using Vista or Win 7, you may as well have a dual core CPU.

CPU usage will jump up fast, depending on what those programs were, 90% with 2 programs is normal for a single core PC with 256MB of RAM. Which is pretty much what it is.

Reaction score
Ah, I get it, it's just treated as single-core. But how is the processor speed decided?

And what do you mean 'count for nothing'..? I'd swear I had a performance boost when I went from dualcore 1.86GHz (oc'ed to 2.1GHz) -> Quad core 2.83GHz

E:
The weirdest thing, I installed 'Virtual Machine Addons' to my vm and I got a huge jump in performance boost + some other handy things so you can just go from host -> guest os with your mouse PLUS there's an 'hidden' mouse to still fulfill the role of guest os mouse.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yea, you got the boost by going from 2.1Ghz to 2.83Ghz. Plus the boost from increased cache. That's it.

What i meant by that, is XP can only read 2 cores. You can have a quad core, or you could have an 8-core CPU. Doesn't matter, XP only sees 2. Just like XP x32 will only see 3GB of RAM.

When you use a VM, it divides your CPU power between the two. Different programs do it differently; some will give 1 core to the host and 1 core to the VM, while others will just share the CPU according to who needs it. I'll be honest here - i've only used VMWare and that was a while ago, so i'm not going to pretend like i know it all, but this is just stuff that i either remember, or i'm certain of.

//Edit: Try increasing it from 256MB of RAM to maybe 512MB or even 1GB. If it doesn't have enough RAM, it will go into your page-file. Because it's a virtual machine, i think that MAY be what's causing the access CPU usage.

Last edited:
Reaction score
It isn't VMWare that I'm using, it's Microsoft Virtual PC, but I guess that it's mainly the same.

It seems like it gave the virtual os my core #3, it's used most by far with only firefox on on the host.

E:
On 2gb of ram, my current PF settings are 1024mb-3072mb, is that good?
Also, if you say XP only recognizes 2 out of 4 cores, I might better be thinking of switching to Windows 7? (me and vista don't go together, so that's out of the question). Btw, in task manager it shows all 4 cores.

I just don't want to go over the hassle of having to format all my stuff and I don't think I have any backuping devices atm (like usb hdds). I'mma need to make a list of programs that I want to install back on windows 7 after everything goes away. Plus there's no way in hell I can pay €200+ for an O.S; so it'll have to be pirated *shame* but what if I get into crap with that..?
I could test windows 7 out on a VM of course..

E2:
Would this be of use to me?

Last edited:
Back