Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Software engineer ego boost

Reaction score

Recently read this article, and I find it pretty interesting. I'm not too sure about the survey's validity (some of these stats are insane), but I do think some of these results are spot on. After reading some of the comments, I think others agree as well.

What do you think?

Reaction score
Food for thought: Software engineers in the Silicon Valley are very exposed to startups. I believe you will find that a lot of software engineers in the silicon valley are more than just face-value software engineers, but aspiring entrepreneurs, which would make the survey's findings more understandable. Note that being a millionaire isn't all that far from reality, at least in the Silicon Valley. Budget smart and you can do it in umpteen years. Multi-millions are where it's at nowadays :p. Even that is seemingly within reach... if the startup you're gambling on (by working at) becomes massive.

Elite Diviner
Reaction score
The methodology of the study wouldn't hold up to scientific standards, but it gives you a good idea about the mentality of a lot of devs. I think there are a lot of contributing factors, not least the fact that we often end up at companies where the majority of our coworkers are vastly below our IT expertise, so it doesn't come as a surprise that devs get it into their head that they ought to be on a pedestal, despite the fact that they probably aren't that great compared to other devs. Some supplemental reading.

Ask me about Daoism
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I think they should feel this way. I mean look how dependent most people are on the services developers build.

Denis Richte didn't get as much recognition as he should have. He built C which basically created like, Perl, Python, PHP, C++, C#, Java, Objective-C, etc. Compared to Jobs who basically made poop look pretty, but everyone sucked his penis when he died.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I agree with fullmetalpride, I work for a company who makes money by delivering websites to people, editing the content and such too and everything. They know nothing about technology, no one. I dont know how they have website up and functioning. They hire another company (based in india, the company itself and me are in the UK) to setup the website and such, i don't even get access to the server/control panel for that side of things.

They charge people an arm and a leg, they don't scam people, its just they are so slow and un-efficient. I told them about heartbleed on the 9th, they still not patched up. They remind me of kids trying to start a IT company using piczo or webs, thing that worry's me is they have made lots of money (not that any of it goes my way .-.). To be fair, they have to pay other employees, bills for things like the offices and such but they could open their pockets more.

The reason i think i have a big head sometimes, before i was into technology and programming i had no aims in my life. I did not think i was able to achieve anything. Now i know the only barrier is myself and motivation to spend time to learn.

Intelligent DoucheBag
Loyal Member
Reaction score
right now, I have a job at a hosting company, we develop ALL the internal applications.
As well for public, as for all my colleagues.

Everything is build by us, and managed by us.
If anything would break, needs an update or has a bug.
They depend on us to fix it, if something breaks, we have to fix it as fast as possible, or money will be loss.

Therefore I think developers have a high and important contribution to a lot of companies and still we are underestimated by people who only know about programs to drag and drop images to create a website.

As example;
The sister of my girlfriend was like; Oh creating a website is easy, You don't do anything...
She thought creating a website is like opening a program, drag and drop some images and edit some text would do the job.
Well, After explaining and showing off what I did, she never talked to me again...

Ask me about Daoism
Loyal Member
Reaction score
right now, I have a job at a hosting company, we develop ALL the internal applications.
As well for public, as for all my colleagues.

Everything is build by us, and managed by us.
If anything would break, needs an update or has a bug.
They depend on us to fix it, if something breaks, we have to fix it as fast as possible, or money will be loss.

Therefore I think developers have a high and important contribution to a lot of companies and still we are underestimated by people who only know about programs to drag and drop images to create a website.

As example;
The sister of my girlfriend was like; Oh creating a website is easy, You don't do anything...
She thought creating a website is like opening a program, drag and drop some images and edit some text would do the job.
Well, After explaining and showing off what I did, she never talked to me again...

I'm constantly asked if I'm a hacker, sometimes when people see me writing plain HTML. I'm barely a programmer. This is mostly by people who aren't close friends, but sometimes even these simple tasks are way over their head.

It makes me worried that we're entering this huge new age of communication but people don't even understand the concept of a black box being at the endpoint of a web request. It's like driving but not even understanding that they're propelled by an engine.

Reaction score
I think they should feel this way. I mean look how dependent most people are on the services developers build.

Denis Richte didn't get as much recognition as he should have. He built C which basically created like, Perl, Python, PHP, C++, C#, Java, Objective-C, etc. Compared to Jobs who basically made poop look pretty, but everyone sucked his penis when he died.

Apple has built their entire company by creating first class user experiences. If UX was unimportant, our applications would still look like they were in the stone age. You can thank Steve Jobs that they don't.

Ask me about Daoism
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Apple has built their entire company by creating first class user experiences. If UX was unimportant, our applications would still look like they were in the stone age. You can thank Steve Jobs that they don't.

No. Xerox created the UI. And Apple and Microsoft stole from them.

I'm not saying jobs doesn't deserve a hell of a lot of credit, but the mass recognition he does get shows how narcissistic the world is about tech.

Reaction score

I'm not saying jobs doesn't deserve a hell of a lot of credit, but the mass recognition he does get shows how narcissistic the world is about tech.

I didn't say Apple created UI. I said they built their entire company on creating first class user experiences. There is a big difference between UI and UX.

Ask me about Daoism
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Yeah. The first class user experience. Like having a phone that's far less capable than some androids.

Im using an iPhone to write this because it is presented in a form that makes me think it is far more advanced.

At first glance, I believe the iPhone is superior because of its external and internal appearance and consistency.

I'm making assumptions based on the sole factor of appearance.

Narcissism!

Reaction score

I agree that Dennis ritchie built one of the main pillars in this computer age industry. But I think it's understandable why nobody knew he died, because he kept pretty quiet. Steve jobs was always out there with his gadgets and people recognize him or know who created that ipod or imac that they own. In mainstream, nobody knows what the C programming language is, nobody knows what UNIX is, so that's why nobody knew about dennis ricthie's death. Even alot of developers that I talked to when dennis died, everyone had to google his name to find out who he was.

Ask me about Daoism
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I agree that Dennis ritchie built one of the main pillars in this computer age industry. But I think it's understandable why nobody knew he died, because he kept pretty quiet. Steve jobs was always out there with his gadgets and people recognize him or know who created that ipod or imac that they own. In mainstream, nobody knows what the C programming language is, nobody knows what UNIX is, so that's why nobody knew about dennis ricthie's death. Even alot of developers that I talked to when dennis died, everyone had to google his name to find out who he was.

You make a good point. Still, I wish more people would bother to care where these things came from, which, again, is why I'm concerned.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score

At the end of the day, most people care about the user experience rather than what's under the hood.
That's why his contribution may be inflated when compared to Dennis Ritchie's.

Reaction score
Yeah. The first class user experience. Like having a phone that's far less capable than some androids.

Im using an iPhone to write this because it is presented in a form that makes me think it is far more advanced.

At first glance, I believe the iPhone is superior because of its external and internal appearance and consistency.

I'm making assumptions based on the sole factor of appearance.

Narcissism!

You either have no Ducking idea what I'm talking about or what the difference between UI, UX, and feature/function even is or you're deliberately trying to derail what I'm telling you by changing the subject.

Ask me about Daoism
Loyal Member
Reaction score
You either have no Ducking idea what I'm talking about or what the difference between UI, UX, and feature/function even is or you're deliberately trying to derail what I'm telling you by changing the subject.

No no no you need to re-read what I said.

UX is the surface aesthetics.

Reaction score
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I just came back online and saw this.

My argument is that UX doesn't move beyond aesthetics to people, in terms of Apple. Should have worded that better.

Your argument is still false. UX also takes into account how easy/intuitive an interface is to actually use. I could create one of the most beautiful interfaces in the world for my application and the UX could still be poop.

Ask me about Daoism
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I just came back online and saw this.

Your argument is still false. UX also takes into account how easy/intuitive an interface is to actually use. I could create one of the most beautiful interfaces in the world for my application and the UX could still be poop.

How easy it is is a factor of graphic design. Aesthetics.

Back