• Unfortunately, we have experienced significant hard drive damage that requires urgent maintenance and rebuilding. The forum will be a state of read only until we install our new drives and rebuild all the configurations needed. Please follow our Facebook page for updates, we will be back up shortly! (The forum could go offline at any given time due to the nature of the failed drives whilst awaiting the upgrades.) When you see an Incapsula error, you know we are in the process of migration.

3DSmax scripts

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
before I post my request here, I would like to thank ragezone for everything. I'm still in progress on becoming one of the developers of RF online soo yehey :D :D

So lets get back to the main topic, I focus my skills on graphics and thanks to likertuban's tutorials, i learned a lot about texture editing (but still im suck at editing weapons eff files). And I found 1 script from likertuban importing mesh files from 3DSmax, which is great so that I can test my textures there (since we cant edit the mesh and this is the only way to use the script). And also I want to test an animation of my eff files in 3DSmax but dont know how or its impossible. If you guys have a script like importing not only mesh and tex, but also importing eff files, you make my life happier and easier :D

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
i did not like graphic/texture editing that much. i didn't remember making any tutorial about texture editing.
and i didn't share any 3DSMax script, i'm not capable of making one...
I downloaded your file that contains some tools, tutorials of eff files, sql and etc. and I found a script their which I used today "RF_ripper script"

Upvote 0
Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
That wasn't Likertuban who released all the graphic related stuff and did guides.

Anyways particle systems are the most annoying graphic related thing to move/exchange between programs in general as there is not even a standard format for storing the data. For example game engines like UE4 and Unity have their own particle system built in and the the only dependable way to move 3DS Max particle effects to them is convert the particle systems to meshs then export as fbx. That feels like a hacked way to do it, not an actual solution.

For a max script to try making the effects it would involve using multiple files, not just an eff. I'm doubtful anybody would spend the time to view effects outside the game when loading changes is done pretty quickly using a dev account. When you have made enough effects you can pretty much get a good estimate value wise without needing to look at it in game.

Upvote 0
Leech feeder.
Reaction score
You cannot test the glows and animated effects. Those are rendered by the engine and run their own code and logic to do that.
You can get the EFF file from my release that explains what EFF file diff parts do. As for the particle files themselves - its just hit and miss and experience.
X y z is often used for diff values or RGB color codes, alpha for .. transparency, particle live time or time indexes when it changes, scale , growth, number of particles, rotation etc.
All mapped to a certain bone in the mesh as a 0 0 0 position for the effect - and its rotation and direction on the mesh is important.

There is a better tool available if you search for 3dsmax - that allows importing and exporting msh - good for aligning the bones for effects.
But noone is gonna make a plugin for the effects. HaterAids is pretty much the only one who still does any deep development (gfx side), i try to avoid it - i add what i need to gamecp for my server.... but the player numbers are just too low these days to be worth the time anymore - making me wonder why did i come back to the scene on the first place....

Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
thank you for your reply guys :) yea, players are getting low nowadays :/ but RF is life you know? well i think this is the end of the thread and i'll do my best to learn more about gfx side :)

Upvote 0
Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
@lifestream 3ds Max last i looked had one particle system with enough similar field input values CPU based ones might be worth exploring. If there was interest I wouldn't mind working with someone else to reuse R3Engine code to write an rendering app for comparing Max's Particle system and RF's. Results of the work would be used to determine if the CPU particles would behave the same assuming time was invested in writing a something for max.
I have no interest at all in writing a script or plugin for Max, no idea if anyone else would be interested do it but most likely would pay to have it done. Afterwords I would be more interested in developing the rendering app further to become close to UE4's Cascade Particle Editor.

Upvote 0
Leech feeder.
Reaction score
Doubt it's worth the time for the particle effects alone. It does not provide any real value that can't be done already - unlike being able to edit msh or animations.

Upvote 0
Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Particles effects alone might not be worth but could also use it to improve workflow depending on how working on it goes. For example add in a layering system so you can switch between upgrade level 0 - 7. Have it write out the .eff files and update the existing .ini files so it takes less time. Perhaps I write in render support for weapons so you can see exactly where the effects will be. The whole app is not needed at all but it might end up helping get rid of all the player-made ugly glows I seen.

Upvote 0
Leech feeder.
Reaction score
Particles effects alone might not be worth but could also use it to improve workflow depending on how working on it goes. For example add in a layering system so you can switch between upgrade level 0 - 7. Have it write out the .eff files and update the existing .ini files so it takes less time. Perhaps I write in render support for weapons so you can see exactly where the effects will be. The whole app is not needed at all but it might end up helping get rid of all the player-made ugly glows I seen.

That's mainly because they just copy paste existing effects usually.

Then again it may have some use - particle system is quite similar for skills and force attacks - just a bit more complex.

New unique skill effects would have a bit larger impact. But last i messed with those when i was dealing with the new custom turret + flying mau (for their attack effects) and even longer time ago when i actually had some custom attacks in RF Arcane 2.1.6.

Upvote 0
Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
That's mainly because they just copy paste existing effects usually.

Then again it may have some use - particle system is quite similar for skills and force attacks - just a bit more complex.

New unique skill effects would have a bit larger impact. But last i messed with those when i was dealing with the new custom turret + flying mau (for their attack effects) and even longer time ago when i actually had some custom attacks in RF Arcane 2.1.6.
Ya new skills effects could would be more interesting. Was either GC or RedFox that had an update that changed some magic skills. Can't say if it looks better or worse. There's old source code that would make for an useful base. Skype might be a better place to talk about it.

Upvote 0
Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
someone already made new weapons on rf. A new Sword, Spear, Bow, Dual Fire arm and launcher. i saw it on some server. Im not sure of the name but i saw it. I dont know how they were able to edit the mesh but they are good looking weapons. I think it was on RF World

Upvote 0
Reaction score
someone already made new weapons on rf. A new Sword, Spear, Bow, Dual Fire arm and launcher. i saw it on some server. Im not sure of the name but i saw it. I dont know how they were able to edit the mesh but they are good looking weapons. I think it was on RF World
it's available on the release section...
please check it first -_-

Upvote 0
Back