• Unfortunately, we have experienced significant hard drive damage that requires urgent maintenance and rebuilding. The forum will be a state of read only until we install our new drives and rebuild all the configurations needed. Please follow our Facebook page for updates, we will be back up shortly! (The forum could go offline at any given time due to the nature of the failed drives whilst awaiting the upgrades.) When you see an Incapsula error, you know we are in the process of migration.

Amd FX-8350 and dual 7970

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
I am trying to build a computer for my little brother he really likes gaming with ultra settings and I promised him to get one soon :p

So as for the build I decided to go with amd platform:

• CPU: $179.99
  • MOB: $179.99
  • RAM: $124.99
  • GPU: 2x449.99
  • PSU: $129.99
  • CPU cooler: $95.99
  • HDD: $90.73
  • Case: $154.99
Total:$1,856.65

My question is,will the FX-8350 bottleneck the dual 7970? I searched the web and some say it does?
Should I switch to intel instead?

Reaction score
Yes it will, only thing that won't is an i7 3770k.

But why? You can play on Ultra with just one 7970.

There's "playing at ultra" and then there's "maxing out everything even though i can't see any difference just for bragging rights".

If 1 card is already playing it at Ultra that 2nd card is sitting there purely maxing out the anti-aliasing to a point beyond what you can physically notice. More heat, more power, more noise, higher electricity bill. For what?

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
Yes it will, only thing that won't is an i7 3770k.

But why? You can play on Ultra with just one 7970.

There's "playing at ultra" and then there's "maxing out everything even though i can't see any difference just for bragging rights".

If 1 card is already playing it at Ultra that 2nd card is sitting there purely maxing out the anti-aliasing to a point beyond what you can physically notice. More heat, more power, more noise, higher electricity bill. For what?

Thanks! I was just about to buy the parts :p

Back