• Unfortunately, we have experienced significant hard drive damage that requires urgent maintenance and rebuilding. The forum will be a state of read only until we install our new drives and rebuild all the configurations needed. Please follow our Facebook page for updates, we will be back up shortly! (The forum could go offline at any given time due to the nature of the failed drives whilst awaiting the upgrades.) When you see an Incapsula error, you know we are in the process of migration.

AMD or Intel

Reaction score
Ive been planning to upgrade my old pc for games..I just want some opinions if what is better so that i can spend my money on the right one...Amd six core or the i5 Quadcore of intel..budget 300$

butt > Tits
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Personally, I would go for the i5 2500K (Btw why the K? You planning to overclock?)

I read somewhere windows isn't even capable of fully using 4 cores to it's full extent, let alone 8 of 'em. Plus, it's not like you will use 8 cores for gaming, must games only make use of 2 of 'em. If you plan to go video/photo editing or some other heavy duty programs, then you might want to consider the 8 core but meh, I'd get the i5.

If you're unsure which i5 to get, I'd pay $50 more and get the 2500 one. This way there's no way you'll ever have any regrets about it and 4 x 0.30 Ghz more is kinda something lawl =3.

Hope I somewhat helped, if anybody asks. I do not have any sources about the windows-cant-use-all-cores thing, thought I'd read it somewhere and I'd be happy if anybody could tell me wrong ^^,

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
windows is able to use way more than 8 cores, what those people call "not fully able to use 8 cores" is simply that most software is single threaded and for those who find those words too complex they dumb it down and say "windows can't fully use 8 cores", because regular users never manage to even get to 50% CPU Usage on 8 cores, but that doesn't mean that windows has any trouble using 8 cores

and yet the point remains valid : why 8 cores? Running some huge overlord processing in your basement? 4 Cores with more performance each are more valuable than 8 cores if you're not planing to use more than 4 cores at the same time

Reaction score
would this be ok?..

or this

The one and only!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
You can get the i5 2500k cheaper at NCIX.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
2500k.

also you should get a z68 theyre cheaepr and can use the integrated graphics if your card goes b00m.

All is well...
Loyal Member
Reaction score
The crowd fav for price and performance is the 2500k. It's an awesome cpu and AMD sucks. Intel blows any comparable AMD cpu away.

If you live near a Micro Center we sell 2500k for $179.99 and $50 off your mobo.
My work has the best price I've seen yet. If you're a retail electronics employee you can register on retailedge.intel.com and get awesome deals on processors around the holidays. You woulda just missed the 2700k for $80.

Flyff Developer
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Go for Intel because Intel is the best kind of processor I've seen in my life. And, im going to stay in this brand until the end !

That's why my name is inteL :wink:

Evil Scottish Overlord
Legend
Reaction score
Go for Intel because Intel is the best kind of processor I've seen in my life. And, im going to stay in this brand until the end !

That's why my name is inteL :wink:

Please expand your point a bit more before I delete it as spam. That's fair enough you think Intel is the best but expand on why it's the best.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Quite depends on what you're going to do with it. Do you got a mobo already btw? Because AMD socket ain't intel's.

Also for your question:

It provides performance on what program it runs. :)

What the duck 2500k for 180 bucks?! Get one and ship it to me bro :O It's 200 EUROs here

I only bought the 2500 (not the K) for 110, lol. It should have been the K version though.. Then I paid 20 bucks more for it. And that was in 2011. Too bad though that it wasn't the k.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Got a AsRock atm, and you sure can tell the difference between te quality. :p Overall it's a nice board though (the one I have).

Asus mobo's are worth it. Both personal and for a good reason.

Back