• Unfortunately, we have experienced significant hard drive damage that requires urgent maintenance and rebuilding. The forum will be a state of read only until we install our new drives and rebuild all the configurations needed. Please follow our Facebook page for updates, we will be back up shortly! (The forum could go offline at any given time due to the nature of the failed drives whilst awaiting the upgrades.) When you see an Incapsula error, you know we are in the process of migration.

Any motorcycle riders here?

Elite Diviner
Reaction score
Recently turned 21 and decided it was time for a vehicle, and decided to set off on a journey to find one. After looking around with a bunch of my dealer friends, I found the 2015 Kawasaki Ninja 300SE ( ) MSRP'd at 5,200$, insurance with full coverage hovering around 125$-129$. So that has all be settled, but now I actually need help learning how to ride, handling my Survival Reactions, and such on.

Ive been watching alot of "HuskerzGBR" on youtube and taking alot of Practice Motorcycle License tests, but was wondering if I could tips from real drivers, if there is any.

The practice tests I have been taking are all pretty much on this website: .

Thats about it, I do not know much at all about driving a motorcycle, as I found the bike I wanted today, and just started learning, so really any tip at all is much appreciated!

Reaction score
First off, that is one bad butt bike. I would ride that myself if I must say.

First thing I must say is always use the right gear when you're riding. My cousin was racing on his bike with his friends. He was up at 170 MPH/273 KPH, and all he was wearing was his helmet. A truck pulled out right in front of him and there was a short, but really small turn. He ended up hitting the curb, and his head hit the curb. If it wasn't for his helmet he wouldn't be alive today. That made me never to ride without my gear, even if I am just going 10 MPH/16 KPH down the road, a car can hit you and seriously hurt you.

One of my main tips is, try not to grab the front brake and making the fork dive, yanking the throttle and launching ahead, and taking a turn by cutting four imaginary apexes when only one is necessary. Try as much as you can to make the transitions smooth, last thing you want to do is look like you don't know what you're doing and mess up your motorcycle.

Here is two important reads that I learned from when I first started riding;

Oh! The one thing I really had trouble in was doing slow turns and slow riding. It's very tempting to just go fast and speed on through those turns but that is what gets you killed. It takes more skill then you think to do those slow turns. Try going into a big-ish parking lot and practice figure 8's and just turning going no more than 13 MPH do it like for a month or so, so you get use to riding slow. It also helps out on those u-turns.

Also, try not to buy a 800 pound bike if you can only ride a 250 pound bike. Also try and invest in Anti-Lock brakes, cause there are stupid and dumb drivers out there. Avoid really bad weather, and try not to ride when it's like 15 MPH winds out, that will knock you off your bike and or make you swerve into a different lane and most likely cause an accident, and watch out for the railroad tracks and pot holes. I actually got a flat tire from a railroad track. Was not fun.

I hoped I helped you out a bit, if not oh well.

Edit: I noticed on the site you posted of the bike, when you get your license go on that site and request a test ride to see if that is the bike for you.

Elite Diviner
Reaction score
First off, that is one bad butt bike. I would ride that myself if I must say.

First thing I must say is always use the right gear when you're riding. My cousin was racing on his bike with his friends. He was up at 170 MPH/273 KPH, and all he was wearing was his helmet. A truck pulled out right in front of him and there was a short, but really small turn. He ended up hitting the curb, and his head hit the curb. If it wasn't for his helmet he wouldn't be alive today. That made me never to ride without my gear, even if I am just going 10 MPH/16 KPH down the road, a car can hit you and seriously hurt you.

One of my main tips is, try not to grab the front brake and making the fork dive, yanking the throttle and launching ahead, and taking a turn by cutting four imaginary apexes when only one is necessary. Try as much as you can to make the transitions smooth, last thing you want to do is look like you don't know what you're doing and mess up your motorcycle.

Here is two important reads that I learned from when I first started riding;

Oh! The one thing I really had trouble in was doing slow turns and slow riding. It's very tempting to just go fast and speed on through those turns but that is what gets you killed. It takes more skill then you think to do those slow turns. Try going into a big-ish parking lot and practice figure 8's and just turning going no more than 13 MPH do it like for a month or so, so you get use to riding slow. It also helps out on those u-turns.

Also, try not to buy a 800 pound bike if you can only ride a 250 pound bike. Also try and invest in Anti-Lock brakes, cause there are stupid and dumb drivers out there. Avoid really bad weather, and try not to ride when it's like 15 MPH winds out, that will knock you off your bike and or make you swerve into a different lane and most likely cause an accident, and watch out for the railroad tracks and pot holes. I actually got a flat tire from a railroad track. Was not fun.

I hoped I helped you out a bit, if not oh well.

Edit: I noticed on the site you posted of the bike, when you get your license go on that site and request a test ride to see if that is the bike for you.

Ive actually already rode it. I was going 15MPH in first with the help of a budy riding along side me on a pedal bike(lol). I havent smiled that much in a long time, so I decided to buy one of my own. The bike was his, and I did it in a very secluded road.

But what you posted is extremely information, and will definetly take a look at what you post! Thanks :)

Pessimistic butt@%&!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I have been riding for about 8 years....started on a Katana 600 and now own a CBR 954RR.

First off...NEVER buy a new bike for your first bike....you WILL crash it....I crashed my Katana 4 times in the 5 years I rode it....nothing major...just enough to scrape my skin in places and scare the poop out of me.

Buy yourself a good used bike....I spent $1000 US for my Katana and it never let me down. But when I crashed it...it also wasn't a big deal.

Second....unless you weigh less than 100 lbs...never go less than a 600CC bike. 250's, 300's, and even 500's all struggle to maintain highway speeds in a strong wind. Most riders that buy less than 600CC bikes are bored within a year and want to trade up. Buying a 600 to start off with not only sharpens your skills better but keeps you entertained much longer.

GSXF 600's, ZZR 600's, YZF-R6S's, and SV650's are the best beginner bikes you can buy....they have the power to entertain you for a while and are also forgiving of mistakes you will definitely make while you are learning to ride. And most of them can be found pretty cheap used.

I told myself when I go 1 year with no incidents on the Katana, I was ready to upgrade to a bigger and better bike...that's when I bought the 954RR...been riding it for 3 years with no incidents at all. (knock on wood)

Third...and most important...do not ride without gear. The money you save buying used with cover the cost of your gear....helmets gloves and jackets are not cheap but will save your life. Do not chance your life on a cheap helmet...it will fail in an accident and you will either die or be a vegetable. Jackets and gloves can be skimped on to an extent....the higher costs ones will be more comfortable but pretty much offer the same safety options.

I have 2 helmets...my main helmet cost me $300 US...my backup helmet cost $200 US. My jackets were more expensive but I bought them both 8 years ago and they both still look good and work perfectly....I have gone through about 8 pairs of gloves in my 8 years...at about $100 US a pop.

As for riding tips...I could spout off a bunch of stuff you won't remember when your behind the handlebars...I do the same thing...First hand experience is the only way to learn....the only thing you have to remember is ALWAYS assume that car, deer, dog, whatever WILL do the one thing you don't want it to.....so always prepare for the worse in every scenario. After a while of riding, took me about a year, you will gain a second sense about things and automatically prepare for the worse in every situation.

Last edited:
Elite Diviner
Reaction score
Little update; after studying for about 48hours straight, time to either go and buy it, or find someone to help me learn on theirs. Havent decided which I am going to do.

Also; I need to find the metal pegs that stick out the side of a bike so if you do fall on it it does not scratch the bike.

Current setup:
Helmet: Bell Revolver Evo Motorcycle Helmet Large Matte Black
Jacket: Motorcycle Jacket for Men VikingCycle Ironside
Gloves: Fox Reflex Gel Gloves

Pessimistic butt@%&!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
The metal pegs are called frame sliders and they are made of Delrin Acetal....unless you go for a full stunt cage then they would be metal.

Frame sliders and bar ends will save your bike from a slide....you can even add sliders to your rear axle to save your exhaust if you so wish.

As for your gear list....you do know that Bell Revo Evo is not Snell or ECE certified right? $200 for only a DOT cert is a little high....I personally have never liked Bell...they are fit more towards an oval head and the top presses on my crown....I prefer Icon and Shoei....but they do make good helmets.

Now you do know Modular helmets do tend to open during a chin impact crash...just a heads up.

Jacket looks perfect for a beginning rider.

Gloves look good for a beginning rider because they have leather stitched into the palms...first thing a human does during a fall is put their hands out to catch themselves so palms take a worse beating....in the future you might want to look into a pair that offer knuckle protection..taking a rock in the knuckle at 70 mph does not feel good :)

Last edited:
Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Yeah I rode a 1995 ninja 250 for a bout a year. Now I've ridden like 3 GXSR Yamaha R1, Yamaha YZF600, 2 CBR600RR, katana. Now my dream bike is either a 636 or a S1000 BMW

Pessimistic butt@%&!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I had an S1000R for a week...friend went out of the country and let me use it....it was amazingly fast...loads of technical settings...but after a week...it was just like any other bike. I actually began to miss my 954...all liter bikes are pretty much the same...can't see spending $20K on one.

636...greatest bike ever made...and this is coming from a Honda fanboi....

Elite Diviner
Reaction score
Currently got four of my buddies who all also have no experience to join in on buying bikes. Teaching them tommorrow during our college class(lol) the textbook knowledge I have acquired, and we are all going to go and get our permits after class tommorrow.

As is, I am going to be buying this bike:

Went to a Honda/Kawa dealership today and looked at the 650 kawa, and almost fell in love. Went ot a Suzuki dealership too, only bike there I liked was a Kawa(Ironic as poop.).

Plan on taking the Motorcycle Safety Foundation Course for Beginners which teaches you not only how actually ride a bike but also be safe on one.

Didnt want to start on a 650, but due to my body set, and how fast I would have to upgrade with experience, decided just to buy the 650 and hope all is well.

"(still lacks brains)"
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Because of my age I've been limited to a 125, legally. However, I have rode a lot more powerful bikes... not so legally. Been riding for about 3 years now, so much fun to just cruise around with a bunch of mates or just you and a mate with a headset chatting to each other, especially when the weather is good.

Since you're starting with a 600 I'd recommend you don't go berserk on the throttle until you actually get used to the feel of bike and how it handles, even then just gradually build up to where you're comfortable with and once you're comfortable with that speed, go slightly over but not too much. We're all different though, when I was riding a 600 it took me a while to get used to it, since it was a lot larger than what I was used to at the time, before I could push it over 100mph with comfort. Wasn't even my bike and I still ended up crashing it! :D:

Pessimistic butt@%&!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Didnt want to start on a 650, but due to my body set, and how fast I would have to upgrade with experience, decided just to buy the 650 and hope all is well.

Smart decision....best part is that is not a "racing" bike...it's a sport touring bike..it will be near as powerful but more forgiving...more comfortable due to the more upright positioning...and cheaper with insurance and parts....

Slothstronaut
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I'm not so much into bikes as I am four-wheelers (I love four-wheelers so much, (wish they were street legal) although sadly I've never even owned one :(:) but there are a few ninja bikes that are pretty badass that I would ride.

Elite Diviner
Reaction score
Because of my age I've been limited to a 125, legally. However, I have rode a lot more powerful bikes... not so legally. Been riding for about 3 years now, so much fun to just cruise around with a bunch of mates or just you and a mate with a headset chatting to each other, especially when the weather is good.

Since you're starting with a 600 I'd recommend you don't go berserk on the throttle until you actually get used to the feel of bike and how it handles, even then just gradually build up to where you're comfortable with and once you're comfortable with that speed, go slightly over but not too much. We're all different though, when I was riding a 600 it took me a while to get used to it, since it was a lot larger than what I was used to at the time, before I could push it over 100mph with comfort. Wasn't even my bike and I still ended up crashing it! :D:

600 and 650 engines are largely differnet, just simply how they work. 600 have much more power, 650's have just about the same amout of kick that a 300 has, but with more speed in the long run. 650= much much more tame than a 600.

"(still lacks brains)"
Loyal Member
Reaction score
600 and 650 engines are largely differnet, just simply how they work. 600 have much more power, 650's have just about the same amout of kick that a 300 has, but with more speed in the long run. 650= much much more tame than a 600.

My bad, read it as 600 instead of 650. :p:

One more thing, it's better to not ride when the roads are slightly damp or it's raining slightly. My personal preference anyway, but hey - the drier the roads the less chance of crashing which saves money. :junglejane:

Pessimistic butt@%&!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I rode mine for 5 years rain, sleet, and snow....it's all about common sense....actually a bike is more stable than a car on slippery surfaces. Reason a vehicle slides is because it gets sideways....being the only 2 wheels on this vehicle are in line with each other it cuts through stuff a lot easier...

I remember one winter driving to work on the toll road with my feet out to the sides like skis...froze my butt off but damn it was fun.

Elite Diviner
Reaction score
@religion Justice For All Ron Monolith ησвяαιη

Just a followup, I did end up getting the 2015 Ninja SE Sport in Metallic Moondust Gray / Ebony.

Things fuckin amazing. THe gear I use is:

Vega Phantom Helmet(Black)
Levi's Faux-Leather Moto Jacket
Xelement B7466 Pants
Pursuit Stealth Gloves
As for the shoes, I normally just wear one of my older black Osiris's (Used for skateboarding)

Pics will be to come, just got the new Galaxy, will take them in the morning.

Its snowed a little here, and I didn't love the ride, but it was definitely doable, and wasn't scared. Was quite a bit cold though.

Reaction score
i have motorcycle, just be careful always when on the road. No matter how careful you are if the other driver will be careless then there is no such thing is safe. Don't let your guard down be a defensive driver and at the same time aggressive

Back