• Unfortunately, we have experienced significant hard drive damage that requires urgent maintenance and rebuilding. The forum will be a state of read only until we install our new drives and rebuild all the configurations needed. Please follow our Facebook page for updates, we will be back up shortly! (The forum could go offline at any given time due to the nature of the failed drives whilst awaiting the upgrades.) When you see an Incapsula error, you know we are in the process of migration.

Apple's New iPad

Mythic Archon
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Its here, the new iPad from Apple.

After months of wild speculation, Steven P. Jobs has finally given Apple fans exactly what they have been asking for — a new iPhone-like tablet computer called the iPad starting at $499."We want to kick off 2010 by introducing a magical and revolutionary product today,” said Mr. Jobs, Apple’s chief executive.

Some models of the product will be available in 60 days, he said.

Mr. Jobs appeared energized but gaunt as he unveiled the iPad at a press event in San Francisco on Wednesday.

Its features and specifications, which have been grist for the Internet rumor mill for months, are finally sharply in focus: It will feature a 9.7-inch screen and a full virtual keyboard. It is a half inch thick and weighs 1.5 pounds. In addition, the iPad screen is multi-touch, meaning content on it can be manipulated with swipes and taps of the fingers.

The iPad is outfitted with Wi-Fi and Bluetooth Internet connectivity, and is powered by a 1-gigahertz Apple A4 chip and has 16 to 64 gigabytes of flash storage. Mr. Jobs described the iPad as “so much more intimate than a laptop and so much more capable of a smartphone with this gorgeous, large display.”

The most advanced model will cost $829 with 64 gigabytes of memory and connection to a 3G cellphone network.

The company also said AT&T will offer an unlimited data plan for $30 a month. It said the Wi-Fi-only models will be available in 60 days and those with cellphone connectivity will be available in 90 days.

During the event, Mr. Jobs demonstrated the iPad as a platform for watching video, streaming music, reading e-books, browsing photographs and playing games. The company also said third-party applications would be a big draw on the iPad.

The iPad will run “virtually every one” of the current catalog applications for the iPhone, numbering around ****000 “virtually unmodified,” Scott Forstall, a senior vice president, said.

Mr. Forstall also noted that developers can modify their apps to take advantage of the large touch-screen display, just as Apple did with its calendar, iTunes, e-mail and YouTube apps. The iPhone SDK, a set of programming tools for developers, will be enhanced to support development of the iPad, and the new SDK will be released today.

“We think its going to be a whole other gold rush for developers as they build apps for the iPad,” Mr. Forstall said.

Among the partners at the San Francisco event that showed off new software compatible with the iPad: Gameloft, a game developer, which demonstrated a first-person shooter game on the iPad; Electronic Arts, and The New York Times.

Apple has been working on such a tablet computer for more than a decade, according to several former employees. But early prototypes, which used PC microchips, quickly drained batteries, and Apple executives could never figure out how or why people would want to use such a device, which lacks a traditional keyboard and computer mouse. Other companies, such as Microsoft, have sold tablet computers for years, but the category has never caught on with consumers.

But advances in technology have since made tablets more feasible. Battery technology has improved. Mr. Jobs said the iPad would have ten hours of battery life, enabling a user to “take a flight form San Francisco to Tokyo and watch video the whole way.”

Traditional QWERTY keyboards have also, to many people, become expendable. In 2005, Apple acquired Fingerworks, a company founded by two researchers at the University of Delaware to develop gesture-based computer interfaces. Their work has been integrated into the iPhone and now, the iPad. At the same time, an expanding class of smartphones like Google’s Nexus One and the BlackBerry Bold have abandoned keyboards altogether.

The remarkable success of the iPhone and its cousin, the iPod Touch, have also shown a path forward for tablets. People have been willing to pay to customize those devices with a large pool of third-party tools, called applications, turning them into video game machines, compasses, city guides and e-book readers. There are now over ****000 applications for the iPhone and iPod Touch, which are expected to generate $1.4 billion in revenue in 2010, according to an analysis by Piper Jaffray.

Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/28/technology/companies/28apple.html?hp

It looks really sleek, like everything Apple does :p

Looks to me like a more sophisticated iTouch.

I Would buy it, its price is reasonable.

Last edited:
Goodbye
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Cool gadget, although I wouldn't buy it unless they managed to put a 500gb+ disk in there

Loyal Member
Reaction score
Finally!!!!! A good thing i didn't buy an itouch :D i've been waiting for something like this!

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Hoping it's better than all those other stuff :)
anyway if it's worth the money I will buy it maby ;)

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I love what Apple has done with the iPad, and I must say that it looks amazing! Everyone should watch the video on Apple.com.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Very expensive and i feel like Apple is running out of ideas. If i really felt like going through my E-mail and surfing the web then i might as well do that stuff at home on the computer.

- How will you be able to bring this thing outside? Its not on-the-go anymore
- I rather use $500 to buy a laptop that runs a lot more things than this

Last edited:
Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
An Iphone for people with chubby fingers. duck off Apple, you're just begging for our money now.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
An Iphone for people with chubby fingers. duck off Apple, you're just begging for our money now.
I realized this when they released the touch-screen Mac desktop.

Mythic Archon
Loyal Member
Reaction score
That giant thing is a phone too?

I can't wait to see people holding it up to their heads. LOL

Its not a phone, but it you can choose to buy it with 3G witch will

give you the advantage to connect anywhere (like a phone)

And it can be portable, just not pocket size...

Mini-Apple Laptop? x]

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
What? Between a laptop and a tablet in size....who the hell needs that, it's a seriously niche product, but that's not why they developed it, Apple already know it's completley useless. They've done this because they know they're going to get their money back at least tenfold because there are so many idiots that are actually willing to defend Apple 'till death because they've been stupid enough in the first place to jump on the name and spend so much money on an inferior system that's overpriced.

Mythic Archon
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Meh, its more like for travelers, people who dont have time to be in their houses to use a Computer.

I would buy it just because im tired of my old itouch(1st gen), So instead of buying a new itouch, i would buy this.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
No, that's what a laptop is for.

Mythic Archon
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Eh, yeah, i guess. No fun in that..

BTW, IM not an Apple fan boy...

So ill just stop here. If you wanna get a Laptop go ahead.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Hey no, I'm just trying to point out that Apple have deliberatley developed a useless piece of tech to take our money. I'm not trying to deter anyone from buying the thing.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Wow that's Ducking crazy yo i think its gonna be about 700-1500$ Dx

Ginger by design.
Loyal Member
Reaction score
A quick synopsis I wrote earlier in response to a coworker sending an e-mail announcing its arrival:

Justin's Synopsis: Blown-up iPod touch. No Flash. No keyboard. Truly the best web *browsing* experience you'll ever have. No keyboard makes anything but trivial and short message entry a chore for anyone who can type at more than 5 WPM with a full sized keyboard. Running iPod software, so that means you're heavily restricted by an app-store. I do imagine it'll be jailbroken soon enough but why buy a product that requires you to "illegally" hack it to actually get your money's worth out of it? I'd hardly call it "revolutionary." It's about as revolutionary as a drink with 3 shots of liquor instead of 2, a car with 8 cylinders rather than 6, a processor with 4 cores instead of 2. (We call those upgrades, not revolutions).

I predict that it will fail or just be a fad product like many other tablets that have come before (http://tinyurl.com/ya8dw7q). It fails to bring anything new to the table. And the choice to use the iPod OS was quite a bad one. I rather believe Apple likes the concept of taking 30% of the sales of any software written for their device and dictating what developers can and can't do with it. Paul Graham has a nice article I read a few months ago on the subject: http://www.paulgraham.com/apple.html.

This e-mail has been brought to you by 70% personal opinion and 30% skepticism.

Let's hope Apple next time actually DOES make something revolutionary. This was quite far from it, sadly. In the end, it's just a blown-up iTouch with some upgrades, and it's really expensive. I just think Apple is trying to make some money off of a rebrand here, and that's a very common business technique.

Legendary Battlemage
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Fairly suprised that they used the name iPad. Madtv did a skit on the "iPad" far before it was released.

[nomedia]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTzhXMbOWHE[/nomedia]

Back