• Unfortunately, we have experienced significant hard drive damage that requires urgent maintenance and rebuilding. The forum will be a state of read only until we install our new drives and rebuild all the configurations needed. Please follow our Facebook page for updates, we will be back up shortly! (The forum could go offline at any given time due to the nature of the failed drives whilst awaiting the upgrades.) When you see an Incapsula error, you know we are in the process of migration.

[Article] Games and the not so evil skinner box hug

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
Okay so I cleaned up my grammar and spelling, sorted out my structure a little more, referenced my image, added less links, made it shorter, added a tl;dr, choose a simple subject, used less harsh language, made it less personal, and only said the word WoW/World of Warcraft twice.

I haven't posted in a while because I was really trying to figure out an interesting, simple, readable subject which I could really show I'm listening to readers.

I thought while I'm here I would mention why I'm not replying to criticism directly. It's because I tend to see those comments and end up going "RAGERAGERAGERAGERAGE MUST DEFEND ARTICLE AND WRITING I AM THE MOST AWESOME WRITER EVER YOU JUST DON'T REALIZE IT." Which is stupid, immature and well stupid. I am actually listening to what you're saying and trying to improve upon it, I just want to keep the raging to myself and take a step back. I know my work is perfect and I want to improve. By all means post your thoughts, I am reading them.

If you're interested and don't really want to read the whole thing, although I would like it if you did. Below is a condensed version: Skinner boxes are ways you can length a game by giving out random rewards to condition a behavior. They're used most in fetch quests or the quests were the item has a stupidly low drop rate. However they can be improved by rewarding people for doing something the game mechanics allows but don't sell as a feature, players doing what they would do anyway or players using the mechanics in fun and interesting new ways. MMO's are best thing to test this on as they are always updating and adding new things.

http://ragezone.com/2011/07/21/games-and-the-not-so-evil-skinner-box-hug/

I really hope you guys like it or at least notice an improvement.

Canadian
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I liked what I read. Although I felt it was too long, so I only read up to the third paragraph.

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
I'm trying to shorten them, but it's hard to properly explain things in. On a related note, what if it was in video form?

Last edited:
1/11/1995 ~ 23/11/2011
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Believe it or not, I read it all I taught it was very interesting, good job .

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I wanted to read it man, but then an ad came up from the bottom that took up half my screen and as a rule I don't stay on pages with insufferably obstructive ads like that. Just on principle, yknow.

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
I wanted to read it man, but then an ad came up from the bottom that took up half my screen and as a rule I don't stay on pages with insufferably obstructive ads like that. Just on principle, yknow.

Well it's nothing to do with me so I will take the comment as positive.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I guess it is positive. I think it's great that some people are actually contributing original content to this site. duck the haters.

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
Yeah, I guess it is positive. I think it's great that some people are actually contributing original content to this site. duck the haters.

Thanks, but I'm actually pretty happy people hate it. It gives me something to improve upon and get better at.

Reaction score
FEAR 3 did a great job of "skinner boxing" it's not just MMO's.

I played FEAR3 through 3-4 times trying to get all the damn challeneges done and the different endings and max my points and levels. And that's an FPS! So I was surprised it did a good job of rewarding you for endlessly playing.

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
FEAR 3 did a great job of "skinner boxing" it's not just MMO's.

I played FEAR3 through 3-4 times trying to get all the damn challeneges done and the different endings and max my points and levels. And that's an FPS! So I was surprised it did a good job of rewarding you for endlessly playing.

Skinner box techniques appear in loads of games, but they're important in MMOs because MMO's need you to play for hours just to make the costs worth it.

Reaction score
It's not horrible. But, well. Let me go through it from my perspective...

There are lot's of mistakes. Both typo's and grammar mistakes. Most of these are near the beginning.

Then there are at least a few area's throughout the article that barely make sense.

Then there's this. Pay attention to the bold:
Another way these techniques can be positive is a reward for achievements. World of Warcraft (shut up, I know),
Which is completely unnecessary in an article. Maybe in a forum post, but not an article.

And finally, there's this disturbing piece in the first paragraph. Pay attention to the bold:
very evil ways to drain money out of your virgin soul

All of the above put aside, let's look at the whole idea of the article, and how it plays out.

You are discussing how these "skinner boxes", or, from my perspective, essentially - random rewards, are both a good and bad thing for games, MMO's especially.

The article plays out oddly. First, it seems like the idea of "skinner boxes" is being complained about. Then, it seems like you go from complaining about it to defending it. Alright, fine I suppose - you are trying to look at the supposed 'issue' at hand from both sides.
It's just that this "looking at it from both sides" didn't really seem to make complete sense, mainly because, well, read on...

I don't really understand the point of the article. Or if there even is one. Are you trying to justify something? If so, to who? Me, all gamers, yourself, developers? Or is there another point? Maybe you are implying something should be changed, or improved? I am not really sure.

All in all, an interesting read, and I think you have a lot of potential. Good job, I am sure you will only improve.

Back