Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Best PCI Express card?

Fell In Love Without You
Loyal Member
Reaction score
My friend wants to upgrade his pc graphics card. He has integrated graphics card. His motherboard supports PCI and PCI Express only. whats the best graphic card for them? no price range.

Reaction score
Right now?

Either Radeon HD 4890 x2, or nVidia GTX295

If you can wait maybe 1-2 more months, you can wait for Radeon HD 5870 (x2) and nVidia GT300, both using the newest AMD RV870 and have GDDR5 frame buffering up to 900MHz. GT300 probably does still have the better clock, but 5000 series has 40nm technology which will keep your gpu cooler for more clocking, compared to GT300's 55nm respective refresh.

Rumors that they will come with DX11

Master Summoner
Reaction score
Right now?

If you can wait maybe 1-2 more months, you can wait for Radeon HD 5870 (x2) and nVidia GT300, both using the newest AMD RV870 and have GDDR5 frame buffering up to 900MHz. GT300 probably does still have the better clock, but 5000 series has 40nm technology which will keep your gpu cooler for more clocking, compared to GT300's 55nm respective refresh.

What about asking about the processor and the motherboard? I've heard the new range of cards are going to be using PCI-E 2.0 which means only new mobos will support the bandwidth (although I dout this as there hasen't been a card to utilize the 1.0?) You don't want a bottleneck and unless you've got an i7 you're definatly going to get one with either of those cards.

Lewis.

Reaction score
Right now?

Yeah... What stupidity... New cards wont be out until October/November time... They haven't even been tapped out yet and once that happens it's still another 3 months before release.

Also there is no such thing as a 4890x2. The fastest AMD card is the 4870x2. They just released the 4890 which is a little faster then the 4870.

Right now the fastest card out there is the GTX 295.

What about asking about the processor and the motherboard? I've heard the new range of cards are going to be using PCI-E 2.0 which means only new mobos will support the bandwidth (although I dout this as there hasen't been a card to utilize the 1.0?) You don't want a bottleneck and unless you've got an i7 you're definatly going to get one with either of those cards.

Lewis.

Umm.... The gForce 9 series were PCI-Express 2.0 and all the cards since have been. The only real difference between 1.0 and 2.0 is the amount of power that is sent over the interface.

Also, for a bottleneck it depends on your resolution. I run a 19x12 resolution and I have no bottle neck from my cpu and I am running a QX6800.

NoPeace - out

Reaction score
Pretty sure you can check it in the BIOS, but as an alternative you could download (basically tells you alot of information about your computer).

An example;
LightWarrior - Best PCI Express card? - RaGEZONE Forums

Reaction score

There is 4890, my mistake, they arn't release yet though
They are available to vendors and partners

About the newer cards,

Rumors have been around since last year, and that article claims it will be here in mid-2009, so maybe July, august
but who knows

Reaction score

There is 4890, my mistake, they arn't release yet though
They are available to vendors and partners

About the newer cards,

Rumors have been around since last year, and that article claims it will be here in mid-2009, so maybe July, august
but who knows

Rumors are just that rumors. The R600 was rumored for ages before it was released. In the end it wasn't even what the rumors said it would be.

Try using sources with concrete facts and not just rumors. That's the best way to go by without looking stupid.

NoPeace - out

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I suggest ATI, why? cheap, reliable, and very very flexible. BTW i'm using NVidia cards. ^_^

Reaction score
But I dont know if he has PCI or PCIe...The program says it has Express. but when I open the case I dont see the port.

Google for pictures of interface slots and then look at the board to see if there is one that matches to a PCI-Express 16x. If there isn't then you are out of luck.

NoPeace - out

Fell In Love Without You
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I just found out he only has PCI, So I went deep into finding the best PCI card, and this is the bestI could find.

Anybody got any better suggestion for a better overall price card, let me know

Reaction score
I just found out he only has PCI, So I went deep into finding the best PCI card, and this is the bestI could find.

Anybody got any better suggestion for a better overall price card, let me know

Tell him not to waist his money. Just save up and buy a new machine. Those cards don't do crap. It might be a little better then interegraded but in reality, it's better to not waist the money.

PCI just doesn't have enough bandwidth to support graphics.

NoPeace - out

Back