• Unfortunately, we have experienced significant hard drive damage that requires urgent maintenance and rebuilding. The forum will be a state of read only until we install our new drives and rebuild all the configurations needed. Please follow our Facebook page for updates, we will be back up shortly! (The forum could go offline at any given time due to the nature of the failed drives whilst awaiting the upgrades.) When you see an Incapsula error, you know we are in the process of migration.

Best place to buy laptops/notebooks?

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
I need to buy a laptop for school next year, and i doubt my ability to construct one myself. What places/websites would people recommend for buying one? I would prefer websites that give you options to customize the system, but pre-made packages are fine, too.

SiK

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Dell,HP and Toshiba all sell nice laptops (Dell and HP allow you to fully customize their specs) If your looking for a insane desktop replacement, may want to check out a Vega.

Legendary Battlemage
Reaction score
how bout a voodoo ( high price) acer (mid range) dell ( low mid range price)

I'll take you all on.
Loyal Member
Reaction score
try ,

Reaction score
how bout a voodoo ( high price) acer (mid range) dell ( low mid range price)

Voodoo? Voodoo, Falcon NW, and other companies like that are joke. Especially when you can't get anything for less then $10,000 usd.

Anyways Dell laptops are great and make sure you get their protection plan. If anything goes while having it they'll fix it with in a matter of 2 days.

NoPeace - out

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
Well since your wanting it just for school Dell is the best bet...
Cheap and they are good for school.

However if you want to use it for gaming as well as school check out other kinds, newegg is a good place to look, but for a good laptop its $1,000+.

Initiate Mage
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Keep away from HP...they have got the worst customer service I have ever had to deal with....go to they have a forum section there where they can advise you what laptop would best suit your needs and usually where you can order it

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm thinking about a Dell XPS, because i would most likely be doing some gaming; and the voodoos and alienwares and such are a little out of my price range. Only thing is it seems like a lot of the dells only give you the option to have Vista installed, which ive heard is kind of crappy.

A hard working geek :-)
Loyal Member
Reaction score
We use Dell XPS for our work computers.. teh ones we lend out to customers, and for our own personal projector use (Late night movies on 200" screens.. gotta love em ;)

So I coudl recommend teh Dell XPS.. and as NoPeace recommended, get the customer care plans, will be lots better off for you.

SiK

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I hear a lot of those Dell XPS become so hot you can't really set one on your lap comfortable. Defeats the purpose for people who enjoy sitting down at a park bench or the such outside to enjoy a movie.

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
Yea sad thing is a lot of the Dell Laptops have vents on the bottom, but nowhere else...
Kind of like Alienware because they got them allover.

And I agree that HP sux, not only do their computers just plain blow but my sisters laptop broke and they told her to just buy a new one even though it was under warranty. >.>

SiK

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Eh, most Dell laptops have vents on the sides and bottom.

Reaction score
Well since your wanting it just for school Dell is the best bet...
Cheap and they are good for school.

However if you want to use it for gaming as well as school check out other kinds, newegg is a good place to look, but for a good laptop its $1,000+.

Dell makes great gaming laptops also.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm thinking about a Dell XPS, because i would most likely be doing some gaming; and the voodoos and alienwares and such are a little out of my price range. Only thing is it seems like a lot of the dells only give you the option to have Vista installed, which ive heard is kind of crappy.

XPS laptops are great. The desktops are poop but the laptops are great. Just make sure you get the protection plan with it.

Dells are not like Sony and IBM computers. One hard drop and it's done for. But with the warranty it'll be fully covered and quickly fixed.

I hear a lot of those Dell XPS become so hot you can't really set one on your lap comfortable. Defeats the purpose for people who enjoy sitting down at a park bench or the such outside to enjoy a movie.

That's how any high end laptop is. If you are running a desktop processor in it that is out puting 65w+ of heat. It'll burn you.

But with the low end XPS models using Core Duo / Core 2 Duo chips it wont be much of a problem. The hottest thing on those laptops is the HDD which always gets to about 40c regardless of what brand you get.

Yea sad thing is a lot of the Dell Laptops have vents on the bottom, but nowhere else...
Kind of like Alienware because they got them allover.

I beg to differ. Every Dell laptop I've seen had an intake vent on the bottom and an exhaust vent in the back and some air vents on top.

NoPeace - out

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
I beg to differ. Every Dell laptop I've seen had an intake vent on the bottom and an exhaust vent in the back and some air vents on top.

NoPeace - out

Really?

Crap... The one my sister just got, mine and both my grandparents all have vents at the bottom and a small one along the back.

Not sure tho, depends on the model I guess, can always change the case and add more.

Last edited:
Divine Celestial
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna suggest Dell, LG or Apple.

If I wasn't obsessed with OSX I probably wouldn't have got this MacBook, but I just love it ;O

Yeah I know about installing OSX on regular x86 computers but I actually wanted to go legit on the operating system for once.

Reaction score
Really?

Crap... The one my sister just got, mine and both my grandparents all have vents at the bottom and a small one along the back.

Not sure tho, depends on the model I guess, can always change the case and add more.

Well all of the business grade ones that I've worked on were like that and the new 1500 and 1400 series are like that.

NoPeace - out

Master Summoner
Reaction score
Thinkpads > all, at least when IBM owned em, my 760xl still runs like beast :)

Back