• Unfortunately, we have experienced significant hard drive damage that requires urgent maintenance and rebuilding. The forum will be a state of read only until we install our new drives and rebuild all the configurations needed. Please follow our Facebook page for updates, we will be back up shortly! (The forum could go offline at any given time due to the nature of the failed drives whilst awaiting the upgrades.) When you see an Incapsula error, you know we are in the process of migration.

boot issues (I hope ;_;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
ok so for the first time in like never, i reformatted my old laptop hard drive. Then, i installed XP on it, but for some reason, now it only boots to XP. I have tried to boot from the win7 drive only, but it just skips to the xp drive. i've checked out all the files on both drives, and there are xp files on xpdrive, and win7 files on the win7drive, so I'm POSITIVE I didn't overwrite win7 with xp. Help me please, i'm a Driverless PC and i'm using a mac! :*:

Found a place to live.
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Reset your MBR...

Easy way;

- Set your Win7 drive first in the array of drives and XP after it. (or just change the boot device order in the BiOS)

- Boot into the windows 7 drive and enter the recovery menu. (can't remember the function key to press to get there off the top of my head since I don't use windows much at all anymore, but I think it's F9)

- Select command prompt

- Type out;

bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot
bootrec /rebuild bcd

Can also be done through the windows vista/7 install discs.

The only bad thing about installing windows XP on top of others is that it doesn't detect other OS's, it just completely wipes and rewrites the MBR to it's needs.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
oh emm geee that sounds like it could work!
just one question: what's MBR?

Also i try to boot win7 drive and it says BOOTMGR missing o_O
looking for my disk atm

also here are some ss' of the drives and content and such
rice - boot issues (I hope ;_;) - RaGEZONE Forums

Last edited:
Found a place to live.
Loyal Member
Reaction score
MBR = Master Boot Record

You can also try a program called EasyBCD, haven't used it since it's early stages but it use to be a good one, not sure anymore.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Damn, i ended up beingn forced to back up my files through network, and using an ol bootleg of win7 :| thanks for the help though blackbox, much appreciated :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back