• Unfortunately, we have experienced significant hard drive damage that requires urgent maintenance and rebuilding. The forum will be a state of read only until we install our new drives and rebuild all the configurations needed. Please follow our Facebook page for updates, we will be back up shortly! (The forum could go offline at any given time due to the nature of the failed drives whilst awaiting the upgrades.) When you see an Incapsula error, you know we are in the process of migration.

Building my first computer - Need help with the parts

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am planning to build a budget gaming computer. - I intend to use this computer for games like Minecraft, possibly Garry's Mod (for some fun) and any other low resolution-non recourse hungry games. I intend to be recording my Minecraft gameplay at the same time, and also skype at the same time (Minecraft, Recording & Skype) - And I will also be using the computer for video editing, and using software like Cinema 3D. The specs I have chosen are as follows:

Intel i5 3570 3.4Ghz - LGA 1155 - $235.00

ASUS (H61M-K) - S1155/2DDR3/mATX Motherboard - $55.00

8GB STRONTIUM DDR3 1333 DIMM - $90.00

Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB - $68.00

Aerocool Syclone II - Black Case - $149.00

Aerocool VP-Series 750w PSU - $89.00

LG (GH24NSB0) 24x Dual Layer Super Multi DVD Burner Black OEM - SATA - $24.00

EVGA nVidia GeForce GTX 650 2GB (02G-P4-2651-KR) - $135.00

Now, those are just specs I gathered from in a custom build. They are quoting: $845 Australian Dollars for that build. Now my main questions are:

As stated above, will it be suitable to do such things?
Is this build decent, and worth the price?
Is there anything I could change? (Upgrade/downgrade)
Is there a build you could suggest (using centrecom.com.au/buildpc computer builder) that is more suitable/under $1, 000?

I appreciate the replies, since this will be my first proper computer. I do have the knowledge to build the computer itself, so no worries there! Just need some advice!

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Well, It would depends on what type of things or day to day tasks you would be using the system for? :)

Reaction score
Perhaps you can get a 650w power supply and save some cash and add an SSD. The SSD will change the whole experience if you install windows on it. Also a couple of your parts seem very expensive like the memory for $90. Here's ram thats $60 and slightly better then what you're paying for

Perhaps you should look on newegg as well?

Evil Scottish Overlord
Legend
Reaction score
Save $70 on your case and use it for an SSD by getting an Antec Three Hundred Two

Pessimistic butt@%&!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I know this will spur a debate...but I have to say it anyways...if using a 64bit OS (Which being your already getting more than 4GB I'm assuming you are)...go more RAM...it will make a difference with the 3D software and switching Windows between games, Skype, and recording software.

As for the rest...looks good but do concur on the before mentioned advice...SSD for sure...makes the WORLD of difference in load times.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I know this will spur a debate...but I have to say it anyways...if using a 64bit OS (Which being your already getting more than 4GB I'm assuming you are)...go more RAM...it will make a difference with the 3D software and switching Windows between games, Skype, and recording software.

As for the rest...looks good but do concur on the before mentioned advice...SSD for sure...makes the WORLD of difference in load times.

I agree with Monolith on SSD part. It would save you a lot of time in terms of transfer speed as well as loading times.

Reaction score
That power supply is way too much, anything in the 500-550 watt range would be more than enough.
The case is way too expensive, I agree with getting a cheaper case to get an SSD, which would be much more useful, especially if you are gonna be editing stuff. Samsung 840 evo's are quite good.

Depending on whether you also want to play some newer games, you might want to get a better card.

Reaction score
Yeah I cut down and chose a different case that costs $70. I downgraded to Core i3, but I'm not sure of the differences of Core i3, i5 and i7 :/ Also, with a SSD - What would it be used for? Would the operating system be installed on it, or what?

Reaction score
An SSD has a very quick access time, which is perfect for things such as Windows, which has loads of small files. The same goes for video editing, it should do wonders there because going to a certain part in the file, should go extra quickly. Aside from that it can be nice for certain games which require you to constantly load things, for example MMO's with things such as loading new armors etc.

As for the i5, I would keep it if you want to do some editing, personally I just bought the 3350p, so if that's cheaper, than get that.

Reaction score
An SSD has a very quick access time, which is perfect for things such as Windows, which has loads of small files. The same goes for video editing, it should do wonders there because going to a certain part in the file, should go extra quickly. Aside from that it can be nice for certain games which require you to constantly load things, for example MMO's with things such as loading new armors etc.

As for the i5, I would keep it if you want to do some editing, personally I just bought the 3350p, so if that's cheaper, than get that.
I'm thinking of saving up more, and getting a core i7. I just don't understand the differences between them all, because there's so many different types. There's like different types of i3's, i5's and i7's :/

Evil Scottish Overlord
Legend
Reaction score
The higher the number typically the better the processor. Intel have simplified their processor branding, so for video editing you want an i5/i7. Typically an i5/7 3xxx. Don't go for one that starts with a 4 or a 2. The 2 indicates an older generation. The 4 is the newest but I'm hearing about loads of overheating issues.

Reaction score
The higher the number typically the better the processor. Intel have simplified their processor branding, so for video editing you want an i5/i7. Typically an i5/7 3xxx. Don't go for one that starts with a 4 or a 2. The 2 indicates an older generation. The 4 is the newest but I'm hearing about loads of overheating issues.
Alright, well I highly appreciate your support during these tough decisions ;) But you only indicated video editing, I will also be playing Miencraft, recording the sessions and Skyping at the same time! So would this be fine?

Buy everything from
I'll take a look, are they cheap? Thanks a lot :)!

EDIT: What mother board would suit the Intel Core i7 3820 - I'm not sure how parts are capatable, because I don't want to buy let's say a graphics card and it isn't capatable!
EDIT2: I saw in the motherboard specs, it says "Two PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots, Supports AMD Quad CrossFireX, CrossFireX and NVIDIA Quad SLI, SLI" - Does this mean it only supports those types of cards, or what? I'm lost :/

This is my new build: http://prntscr.com/2bthz9
Could someone check over all the parts and tell me if they're all capatable, what I could change/downgrade/upgrade? I will invest in a graphics card later on once I get enough money.

Last edited:
Evil Scottish Overlord
Legend
Reaction score
Minecraft and skype will be a breeze to run on something that can handle video editing as they're much less processor/memory consuming tasks (well, Minecraft is filled with memory leaks but aye, it'll run no prob).

The Core i7 3570 uses what's called a "socket 1155" processor socket. The pins on the underside of a processor can only fit into one type of socket (where the processor sits). The motherboard you have chosen can take your choice of processor. PCIe 3.0 slots are where you put your graphics cards. They're always backwards compatible with PCIe 2.0 which is still commonplace. The CrossFire/SLI stuff afterwards means it supports you using two of the same graphics cards to boost your graphics performance.

For your memory I'd use these Corsair sticks instead:

Try to avoid having your desired RAM allocation all on one stick. The bigger the RAM, the longer it takes to read the content of the RAM. Having two smaller sticks improves read times. Albeit not by much, but it will be of some benefit to you. Furthermore if your RAM is faulty then you're screwed with only one stick. If one stick dies, you can RMA it and still have your system running off a 4GB stick quite comfortably.

Reaction score
Try to avoid having your desired RAM allocation all on one stick. The bigger the RAM, the longer it takes to read the content of the RAM. Having two smaller sticks improves read times. Albeit not by much, but it will be of some benefit to you. Furthermore if your RAM is faulty then you're screwed with only one stick. If one stick dies, you can RMA it and still have your system running off a 4GB stick quite comfortably.

Dual channel also allows the RAM to be read almost concurrently rather than sequentially.

Reaction score
Minecraft and skype will be a breeze to run on something that can handle video editing as they're much less processor/memory consuming tasks (well, Minecraft is filled with memory leaks but aye, it'll run no prob).

The Core i7 3570 uses what's called a "socket 1155" processor socket. The pins on the underside of a processor can only fit into one type of socket (where the processor sits). The motherboard you have chosen can take your choice of processor. PCIe 3.0 slots are where you put your graphics cards. They're always backwards compatible with PCIe 2.0 which is still commonplace. The CrossFire/SLI stuff afterwards means it supports you using two of the same graphics cards to boost your graphics performance.

For your memory I'd use these Corsair sticks instead:

Oh, right.. I think I understand, I appreciate all the help :) I will now know for the future. So let me understand;

The motherboard I choose (in my new build) says it has a: Socket 1155 ( ASRock B75M-R2 Motherboard )
The core I chose was under the "Intel sockets 1155" - Intel Core i5 3570

So that configuration, will work since they both have the same processor socket?

--------------------------

Also as for the RAM, I was planning to upgrade to 16GB in the future, that is why I choose a 1 8GB stick of RAM. But if you're saying to get x2 4GB sticks, then I'd have to buy MORE RAM and get rid of the old ones since there's only 2 ram slots. But my question is, is 8GB RAM enough, or could I go the extra mile and do 16GB of RAM?

Other question is; With the graphics card, how do I choose the best one for me? I want to do dual monitors, and just do things like Minecraft, Skype, Video editing, Cinema 4d, etc..

And.... As for the power supply - How do I know which would be the best watts to use for my system? Because in the future I do plan on adding more RAM, and adding a graphics card as I get more money! I have currently choosen a "Aerocool Strike-X 500W" - Would this be well enough, or am I looking for a more wattage or less wattage power supply?

Dual channel also allows the RAM to be read almost concurrently rather than sequentially.
Thus is why I choose a motherboard with Dual channel. Because I plan on adding x2 8GB sticks of RAM!

Oh sorry for all these questions, and one last thing.. Why not choose a core like: Intel Xeon E3 1230 v2? Is a i5 better than that?

Reaction score
Here, this is your best build for under $1,000 from PCCG -

Liam - Building my first computer - Need help with the parts - RaGEZONE Forums

Wanna keep that RAM to 1.5V sticks to keep temps down in high load especially for video editing and rendering, and 2x4GB is fine because with 4 DIMM slots you can just add another 2 sticks later. Just try and get the same kit again though to keep them matched.

Reaction score
Here, this is your best build for under $1,000 from PCCG -

Liam - Building my first computer - Need help with the parts - RaGEZONE Forums

Wanna keep that RAM to 1.5V sticks to keep temps down in high load especially for video editing and rendering, and 2x4GB is fine because with 4 DIMM slots you can just add another 2 sticks later. Just try and get the same kit again though to keep them matched.

Looks very decent, I will consider it for sure. But I don't have much money at the moment, which is why I'd rather buy things like a graphics card later on when I get more money :)! See, with the build I was talking about, I would just do 1 8GB stick f RAM for now until I get more money to buy another stick. And as for the voltage of the sticks, I'll take it into account! And as for the case, would I be able to use the one I was querying about with your build? I want to save as much money as I possibly can!

EDIT -- The motherboard you've specified, is it better or the same as the one specified in my recent build? (Mine is: ASRock B75M-R2 Motherboard)

I have: QS7215o - Building my first computer - Need help with the parts - RaGEZONE Forums
To be honest, I reckon this build is fairly good to start off with. Then as I get more money, I'll be buying a graphics card, and another set of the same RAM; to make 16GB in total! Thoughts on my overall build? Will it work?

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
Last edited:
Evil Scottish Overlord
Legend
Reaction score
If Rishwin makes a recommendation it's generally a better one, the man knows his stuff! Extra DIMM channels for RAM means should you really want 16GB, you can just buy another 2x4GB kit, which again as it can be read concurrently AND quicker is better. If you want something that's gonna stream, video edit and play games well you ARE gonna have to fork out a bit. $1000AUD is actually more of a "budget" PC build, for something that's gonna perform well for years you'd be looking at closer to $1500-$2000AUD. What Rish proposes is quite a good build, although I'm not mad about the choice of case :p:

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Well, I don't see why you would ultimately need an i7, i5 or i3 proccessor? If I were you I'd get either a four core AMD, six core AMD or an eight core AMD, they work just as well as an i7 or an i5. I'd invest into a graphics card if I were you. Take a look at PCpartpicker.com They're really good & cheap!

Thanks,
Unappreciated

Back