• Unfortunately, we have experienced significant hard drive damage that requires urgent maintenance and rebuilding. The forum will be a state of read only until we install our new drives and rebuild all the configurations needed. Please follow our Facebook page for updates, we will be back up shortly! (The forum could go offline at any given time due to the nature of the failed drives whilst awaiting the upgrades.) When you see an Incapsula error, you know we are in the process of migration.

[C++] Other C++ private server games?

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
This may seem like a noobie question, but what other games have been coded in C++ for a private server?

I have a feeling Maplestory is the only one, but i'm just checking ^_^

-Thanks
~Joshdaazn

Elite Diviner
Reaction score
This may seem like a noobie question, but what other games have been coded in C++ for a private server?

I have a feeling Maplestory is the only one, but i'm just checking ^_^

-Thanks
~Joshdaazn

No its not.. theres a LOT MORE.

WoW for example.

Extreme Coder - Delphi
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Some games are coded in more than one language

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
MuOnline..

p.s C++ is the most used because it uses less system resources than others >.<

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
c++ most used because its been around longer, nothing else.

c# is slowly gaining acceptence in game dev communities now, specially for company's for tool creation (map editors, resource editors ect) because its fast to code in and has a really nice garbage collector.

only reason i can see why they dont make the actual game exe in it, is because the exe's it create isnt protected very good, tho XNAGS and SlimDX (soon to have framework), will most likely change that a bit (my guess anyways).

i would guess:

c++ emu's - 60%
c - 10%
java - 8%
c# - 5%
vb (if you wanna call that programming) - 5%
rest to linux and other wierd programming languages.

just a approx guess.

If you wish to know what emulators is c++, spends some time yourself finding out.

Download PeID, and then download emulators and check the exe files yourself.

Extreme Coder - Delphi
Loyal Member
Reaction score
XNA studios uses C# to make PC and Xbox360 Games :D

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
C++ is widely used for pretty much all games.

1. Most developers have an understanding of C/C++
2. Companies have large codebases of C/C++
3. It does the job

You can just aswell use other languages (some companies start doing that)...it won't make much of a difference...

Probably all those MMORPG's are programmed in C++, point is...not all of their sources are available. For MU you need to dissassemble it for example...

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
C++ is widely used for pretty much all games.

1. Most developers have an understanding of C/C++
2. Companies have large codebases of C/C++
3. It does the job

You can just aswell use other languages (some companies start doing that)...it won't make much of a difference...

Probably all those MMORPG's are programmed in C++, point is...not all of their sources are available. For MU you need to dissassemble it for example...

LoTR online's patcher and some dll's is made in C#
Most inhouse tools lately is made in C# (microsoft, AAA titles).

Its like, even tho IP phones are cheaper to use, most people still use old analog telephones, same goes for c++ vs c#

My point was, even tho C++ is most used, its not faster then C#, if we talk speed (atleast time to take to make programs) C# is way faster then c++ (alot less debugging and errors in your program).

Speed vs execution i highly doubt anyone will feel any kind of difference.

For mmorpg emulators, people just tend to use what they know, i programmed c++ for along time, but moved to C# when i did a couple of "adds" programs, and i was impressed by the speed i could do it and the stability of the program.

the garbage collector is awesome and the memory management and access is frikkin fast, its quite amazing.

I tried loading 200 mb of 4 byte blocks into my programs memory, and it did it in a few seconds, and accessing it felt like realtime (searching for keys in array for excample).

The issue with game programming is most AAA engines is coded in C++, so it would be ALOT of work and manhours to reprogram them to C#, thats the problem they are facing right now (notice also that microsoft is searching for C# developers for nextgen engine/reprogramming of a engine) atleast thats what i heard.

Guess time will tell :)

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
most C++ games you must buy like Wow as some one said

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
LoTR online's patcher and some dll's is made in C#
Most inhouse tools lately is made in C# (microsoft, AAA titles).

Its like, even tho IP phones are cheaper to use, most people still use old analog telephones, same goes for c++ vs c#

My point was, even tho C++ is most used, its not faster then C#, if we talk speed (atleast time to take to make programs) C# is way faster then c++ (alot less debugging and errors in your program).

Speed vs execution i highly doubt anyone will feel any kind of difference.

For mmorpg emulators, people just tend to use what they know, i programmed c++ for along time, but moved to C# when i did a couple of "adds" programs, and i was impressed by the speed i could do it and the stability of the program.

the garbage collector is awesome and the memory management and access is frikkin fast, its quite amazing.

I tried loading 200 mb of 4 byte blocks into my programs memory, and it did it in a few seconds, and accessing it felt like realtime (searching for keys in array for excample).

The issue with game programming is most AAA engines is coded in C++, so it would be ALOT of work and manhours to reprogram them to C#, thats the problem they are facing right now (notice also that microsoft is searching for C# developers for nextgen engine/reprogramming of a engine) atleast thats what i heard.

Guess time will tell :)

Hmm, C# is not *way* faster then C++. C++ has it's strong points and C# has them too. None of them is faster then the other really, and thats not what you should look for.

C# is just more advanced/new. It has a lot of features which come with a price, but at the same time the compromise that with JIT and other technologies to speed it up.

But lets not make it a speed discussion (which are endless and based heavy on opinions) ^^. Fact is, most multiplayer games (~95%?) is C++, which doesn't make C++ the best language...just the most used in (multiplayer) games.

most C++ games you must buy like Wow as some one said

Urm? What are you talking about?

Supreme Arcanarch
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Urm? What are you talking about?

He wanted to say that he's dumb.

Anyway, programming language is like religion for peoples who believes in gods, so debates like "What's better" will never end. :)

Supreme Arcanarch
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I don't think the guy was talking about game engines, just homebrew server emulators.

In which case, he should just ****ing look, 'cause most of them are on these forums.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
i loled hard @ the reasons why ppl say c++ is used and why its not used,

nowdays many companies are shifting towards higher lvl languages (visual basic!? c#!? etc)
bet ya c++ will be around after those, why? its not assembly and its not "higher lvl language", anyone that knows programming should understand what i'm trying to say.

even if you use c# to develop "games" or anyother stuff, but the engines will prolly allways be based on c++ (engines aren't only 3d!)

Supreme Arcanarch
Loyal Member
Reaction score
i loled hard @ the reasons why ppl say c++ is used and why its not used,

nowdays many companies are shifting towards higher lvl languages (visual basic!? c#!? etc)
bet ya c++ will be around after those, why? its not assembly and its not "higher lvl language", anyone that knows programming should understand what i'm trying to say.

even if you use c# to develop "games" or anyother stuff, but the engines will prolly allways be based on c++ (engines aren't only 3d!)

I would love to see how smooth Crysis would run on VB. ^^

Supreme Arcanarch
Loyal Member
Reaction score
there you go, thats my point.

Well sort of :) game development ain't has simple has chosing a language and making the game.

btw wrong terminology, you don't run crysis on VB, you compile/develop in vb.
And there is always better language for something different. For instance...

You can build some kind of DB Employee application in C++ and C#. But of course the wise choice would be C# because it would be faster to build, slower to run, ultra speed is not important in simple apps like media players, calculators, etc, etc, etc...

Of course if you will build Crysis 2, wise choice would be C++ because ultra speed is important there.

Reaction score
And there is always better language for something different. For instance...

You can build some kind of DB Employee application in C++ and C#. But of course the wise choice would be C# because it would be faster to build, slower to run, ultra speed is not important in simple apps like media players, calculators, etc, etc, etc...

Of course if you will build Crysis 2, wise choice would be C++ because ultra speed is important there.

thing in games, its not just an app.

for example, say you trying to develop the next gen 3d engine, i'd guess you go for c++, but once your done, the tools your artists, modellers and etc are gonna use to build the graphics (level editors and etc) would be done in c# since development time would be faster and in games, at least professional, time is almost everything.

if you finish something faster then it was planned then you can improve it even further or switch to something else that could be improved further.

and about C/C++/C#
try to understand the pattern

c -> base
c++ -> c+1 -> extension of c -> addition of Object topology
C# -> extension of c++ -> Object envoirment development

with its perks and quirks but its the guist of it. and btw... you should use the language thats suits better your purposes...not the other way around.

Supreme Arcanarch
Loyal Member
Reaction score
My point was that the engine would be built on C++, not the editors 'n stuff.

Back