Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Deconverting maps using q3map2?

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Hey! First-time poster here. I was just wondering what methods there are for decompiling maps into something you can edit or view in gtkradiant. I'm actually trying to see if I can convert the maps into something the source engine (half life 2) can use.

I'm only really interested in a few of the old default maps like Town, Mansion, and maybe Lost Shrine.
My first roadblock was decompiling the maps.mrs file, because it turns out every single game version has their own encryption.
I solved that by just using the old ijji version of gunz. so now I have all of the .bsp files, leaving me with decompiling those.

Now, from what I gather you need to use q3map2 to decompile these bsp files, but the only .bsp files I have seem to be .RS.bsp, which aren't being detected as a working IBSP file.
4zcLbfk - Deconverting maps using q3map2? - RaGEZONE Forums

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong now. If anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it

Update: So from what I can tell, these files are not able to be imported back into gtkradiant, but are instead "Realspace scene files (.rs)", which I believe only the old Worldedit program hosted on archive.org can access. From my research people generally import this data directly to 3ds max and never really bother with bsp formats.

Which sucks for me, because that means my quake 3 to source engine pipeline doesn't work.

So right now I'm trying to see if there's a way to retain the bsp data in a way that source can edit somehow.

pADTp27 - Deconverting maps using q3map2? - RaGEZONE Forums

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
Last edited:
Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
It's literally a bit hard because gunz uses his own version of bsp just a little editedthere are .max (3dsmax) of those maps if you want use that

Oh there is also a blender plugin if I remember correctly

https://forum.ragezone.com/f245/release-gunz-1-5-artwork-1201744/

Back