• Unfortunately, we have experienced significant hard drive damage that requires urgent maintenance and rebuilding. The forum will be a state of read only until we install our new drives and rebuild all the configurations needed. Please follow our Facebook page for updates, we will be back up shortly! (The forum could go offline at any given time due to the nature of the failed drives whilst awaiting the upgrades.) When you see an Incapsula error, you know we are in the process of migration.

[Discussion\Question]Another tech jump

(oO (||||) (||||) Oo)
Loyal Member
Reaction score
In past few decades there was a huge jump in technology, it's a fact. Computers, tv, internet, phones, etc.

Today people have invented shitload of new or improved stuff. I.e. quadcore mobile cpu while a year ago we had one core 500mhz. More and more transistors are being crumbled into cpu.

Just go to any nerdy blog/news website and see yourself.

But it feels like something is stopping is from technology. IMHO old generation does; people in congress; old people; and just older generation overall.

Added: Just thought of another example. I work for delivery company and most of high-end staff are over 40-50. We (drivers) use scanners like any other delivery company. Problem: scanners outdated, slow and software is really poor. If they could replace their main tech guy with someone more modern we could have something better. Scanner messages can be sent through data instead of sms, customer can have features like auto notify, api for shipping. And whole-lot more
I made a tool that takes txt file with stops (addresses) and simply shows in on the map (mappoint, gmaps, bing maps...) If you have 200+ stops trust me, typing all the addresses is not fun and that's what everyone was doing until I made a tool...

In about 50 years most of them will be gone... Does anyone else think there will be another huge jump in technology?

Last edited:
(oO (||||) (||||) Oo)
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I wasn't talking about specific things, but just used them as an example.

Tho who knows maybe in few years someone will make a transistor on atomic level, and then cpus will grow in size. You wouldn't be able to go any smaller, or at last for now.

Not working on UnitedFlyf
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Many believe bioengineering will progress more than computer technology in the next decade. Should be interesting.

A hard working geek :-)
Loyal Member
Reaction score
They are experimenting with light based processors right now. Using Fiber optics to transmit data through the motherboard instead of standard NB/SB links and all that jazz. Lots of changes on the horizon. The real question is, can we afford it, and will the government help push it?

Do you realize just how far behind the technology tree America is? Look at our average internet speed compared to say.. Japan. We are literally in the dark ages over here, paying over $100 in many places just to get a simple 5mb DSL connection.

(oO (||||) (||||) Oo)
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Fiber optics on motherboard? :scared:
I see why it would work on long distance (for usage like internet/network), but on motherboards o_O Link please?

But yea, america (duck yeah) is behind. America is the place where unlimited means 2GB. America is place where ...

Tho I just got my 25/25 optic fiber lowered to 44 a month.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
if america is behind then you need to get a load of this :

that's where I live, Luxembourg it costs 66€ to get a 20 mbit connection with less than 1 mbit upload speed that's 90 usd + you need a PHONE LINE (forced) which is another 20€ a month

also my 650 mhz single core 3 year old phone wasn't even high end when I bought it, yet you say a year ago we were at 500 mhz for phones

A hard working geek :-)
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Fiber optics on motherboard? :scared:
I see why it would work on long distance (for usage like internet/network), but on motherboards o_O Link please?

But yea, america (duck yeah) is behind. America is the place where unlimited means 2GB. America is place where ...

Tho I just got my 25/25 optic fiber lowered to 44 a month.

Quantum Engineering, yes.. it is real - No doubt the government has prototypes in use.. but they are working on chips and processors using that based theory.

Back