• Unfortunately, we have experienced significant hard drive damage that requires urgent maintenance and rebuilding. The forum will be a state of read only until we install our new drives and rebuild all the configurations needed. Please follow our Facebook page for updates, we will be back up shortly! (The forum could go offline at any given time due to the nature of the failed drives whilst awaiting the upgrades.) When you see an Incapsula error, you know we are in the process of migration.

DOTA trademark resolved

Reaction score

The two companies have finally come to an agreement over the trademark dispute. Valve’s to retain the DotA commercial trademark and will be allowed to go through with titling DotA 2 as such. Blizzard will retain non-commercial use of the trademark, meaning that Blizzard will be allowed to continue promoting DotA material with its community. However, since it cannot use the trademark commercially, Blizzard has decided to rename its DotA sequel Blizzard All-Stars.

I'm a happy man, i am truly surprised that this was resolved in such a way. Big fan of both parties, glad Blizzard managed to push the Activision half away and put the community first, though i did have a lol at their All-Stars renaming.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Great to see that both companies came to a understanding. When I first heard about this i thought it looked bad for Valve.

i sell platypus
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Would have ended up badly for Blizzard if they pushed through with it I think. A lot of stuff in DotA 2 is still being changed due to them still having copyright on Warcraft III. Example of this is Obsidian Destroyer getting renamed to Outworld Destroyer, since it's a mob in Warcraft III. Also the reason they turned Storm Spirit into a fat man rather than a panda.

Back