• Unfortunately, we have experienced significant hard drive damage that requires urgent maintenance and rebuilding. The forum will be a state of read only until we install our new drives and rebuild all the configurations needed. Please follow our Facebook page for updates, we will be back up shortly! (The forum could go offline at any given time due to the nature of the failed drives whilst awaiting the upgrades.) When you see an Incapsula error, you know we are in the process of migration.

DVD ROM Not working with DVD-R CD's?

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Ok well a couple of weeks ago I tried to burn a movie with a DVD-R and it worked fine. The other day I tried to burn a game for my friend it worked fine. Just 3 days ago I try to put another game for my friend on a CD since I do not have enough room, and when I put the DVD-R CD it just doesn't respond. Like it makes noises weird noises I have never heard coming from my laptop before. I tried 3 different clean empty ones but they don't work. So I try a CD-R and it works just fine... I even updated my drivers with Driver Genius 2008 Professional and it still doesn't work. I even tried using Registry Editor from a tutorial when I used to have this problem and when I tried it, it worked fine before, but two days ago I try again and restart my computer and it doesn't work... Anyways I need some sort of help cause my computer is specially made for Windows XP Media Center Edition It is an Acer Aspire 3100 Mobile AMD Sempron processor 3400+ 1.8GHz ATI Radeon Xpress 1100 DVD/CD-RW Combo, came with 512MB of ram DDR2 I bought some more and made it 3 Gigs. Anyways I appreciate anybody that can help me. Thanks.

,Alan

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Mine did not work too yesterday. I had 10 Imitation's DVD-R and 10 Sony's DVD-R, but only Imitation work. I just cleaned the surface of the disc a little and done, Sony's worked.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Mine did not work too yesterday. I had 10 Imitation's DVD-R and 10 Sony's DVD-R, but only Imitation work. I just cleaned the surface of the disc a little and done, Sony's worked.

Hmm well thanks for posting but this doesn't really solve my question I have cleaned the disc multiple times and still nothing? Anyways thanks.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
the porblem is your useing DVD "-R" and not DVD "+R"

mabe your dvd roms dont suport DVD "-R"

whats the DVD modle?

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
I checked up Acer Aspire 3100. It supported DVD-RW. Even my oldest laptop do. I think you should just replace it with a new internal burner. They are pretty cheap now.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
No really, has nothing to do with registries.

Back