• Unfortunately, we have experienced significant hard drive damage that requires urgent maintenance and rebuilding. The forum will be a state of read only until we install our new drives and rebuild all the configurations needed. Please follow our Facebook page for updates, we will be back up shortly! (The forum could go offline at any given time due to the nature of the failed drives whilst awaiting the upgrades.) When you see an Incapsula error, you know we are in the process of migration.

Error generating .RS files. GTKRadiant and 3DS Max 2010 x86

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hello, I'm new in forum. 5 years ago I created maps in GtkRadiant, there was no Worldedit or anything. I always wanted to edit maps, but it was impossible to open .RS files.
I can create maps on my own, but what I want is to edit them.
I was wondering if you could import a
3Ds Max 2010 RS file, as well as the plugin for exporting.
Anyway. My procedure is:
3D Ripper x + / with / in Worldedit, and capture the .obj of map, (Shower Room in this case)
then open It With Milkshape and export to
.map for GtkRadiant 1.5
For
3Ds Max 2010 open directly .obj
The problem is that
GtkRadiant says, "lightgeneration failed!" And if I use build with -nolight and without FSRad the .MRS neither is created. It looks like a 3D problem, I just import obj and add textures only.
And in
3Ds Max 2010 x86, an error occurs.
I leave the pictures and I hope you can help me please. Thank you!
:*:

bstlCBU - Error generating .RS files. GTKRadiant and 3DS Max 2010 x86 - RaGEZONE Forums
S0MbRvC - Error generating .RS files. GTKRadiant and 3DS Max 2010 x86 - RaGEZONE Forums

GTKRadiant. http://i.imgur.com/S0MbRvC.jpg
3Ds Max 2010 x86 GTKRadiant. http://i.imgur.com/S0MbRvC.jpg

Ninja Goblin
Loyal Member
Reaction score
You cant just willy-nilly import ripped mesh and expect to be able to export it ezpz.
3d rips always require medium-heavy editing, draw calls contain unassigned/unused verts from other drawcalls.
The plugin cant do jack-poop with verts that dont belong to a polygon, therefor -> crash.
Same goes for radiant, besides that light wouldnt illuminate anything realy.
Also, max isnt like radiant where its wysiwyg* collision wise, read mine and wucas's posts.

Theres no map import plugin, why? because its not needed when you have the scene's max file since you created that scene.
This is logic, which is why maiet never bothered to make one, its just obsolete and not needed.

Oh and id say come up with your own content instead of editing existing content.

*WYSIWYG - Wikipedia

Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
You cant just willy-nilly import ripped mesh and expect to be able to export it ezpz.
3d rips always require medium-heavy editing, draw calls contain unassigned/unused verts from other drawcalls.
The plugin cant do jack-poop with verts that dont belong to a polygon, therefor -> crash.
Same goes for radiant, besides that light wouldnt illuminate anything realy.
Also, max isnt like radiant where its wysiwyg* collision wise, read mine and wucas's posts.

Theres no map import plugin, why? because its not needed when you have the scene's max file since you created that scene.
This is logic, which is why maiet never bothered to make one, its just obsolete and not needed.

Oh and id say come up with your own content instead of editing existing content.

*WYSIWYG - Wikipedia

Thanks for the reply HellSniper , much respect to you and wucas.
That I do not agree with a plugin to import gunz maps.
In 2007 , almost six years ago , I had an idea, make a Stairway 2 because I love the map.
I made basing on images of Stairway , but not the same.
My idea was not to make a different map. Otherwise, modify Stairway, in night, with lanterns, grass, torches, crystals as dungeon, etc. . I wanted to make it as original as possible, so here was illogical and made ​​no sense to do it from the beginning, if what I want is modify, because I still want to make a Stairway 2, based on the original.
Below pictures, my Stairway that I leave for a few bugs and the same error in GtkRadiant , lightgeneration failed.
Its very hard for one person. The map took me seven months. So I insist five years later on wanting to import the maps, and will continue to do .
On the other hand I think GtkRadiant easier to use, but not better .
I find it very difficult to build the map correctly capture editing 3D Ripper x because do not really understand how it works.
What would you do if you were me ?
Send me the Original Stairway.map functional is my dream xd (? :D

X9s58l7 - Error generating .RS files. GTKRadiant and 3DS Max 2010 x86 - RaGEZONE Forums

Sbwr3Sr - Error generating .RS files. GTKRadiant and 3DS Max 2010 x86 - RaGEZONE Forums

6IMVN7x - Error generating .RS files. GTKRadiant and 3DS Max 2010 x86 - RaGEZONE Forums

B71Pr44 - Error generating .RS files. GTKRadiant and 3DS Max 2010 x86 - RaGEZONE Forums

AHjrNOM - Error generating .RS files. GTKRadiant and 3DS Max 2010 x86 - RaGEZONE Forums

pcpiVyd - Error generating .RS files. GTKRadiant and 3DS Max 2010 x86 - RaGEZONE Forums

Upvote 0
Ninja Goblin
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I dont have the map file as it was never leaked.
However, stairway is one of the most easily replicated from scratch due to its rather uninteresting and uncreative level design.
Now people will differ to that opinion, those mostly are medstylers and people that flip camp the map.
Anyways, the ingame draw distance is 100 meter, not what you want if you want to rip the mesh.
Worldedit deosnt have a view distance but does use the defined occlusion.
So when ever you want to rip map data youd go with worldedit.

Your radiant brushwork is heavily flawd in many ways, its more than obvious why you run into problems with it.

After you rip and import something you have to clean it up.
Join the drawcalls based on material and merge verts, dont forget to delete unused verts.
Then create the collision hull, put a global illumination setup and maybe if you want to be fancy a sun with shadowcast.
Places the spawn dummies and export it, generate the light with worldedit.

Oh and ps, thats basically every person ever "oh i just wanted to make "<randommapname> 2" ...
But i wont condem them just for that.

Upvote 0
Reaction score
Hello, Eze Garcia your Idea and imagination is quiet amazing. Ok so your problem is "error on worldEdit (gtk)"? I just want to ask? why your using world edit? FSRAD can generate lights like worldEdit. All you can do is build your map on -flashlight and change your light intensity to 5000~7000 or even more lower so that you can control lights/shadows. If you want to put some decoration on it all you need to do is to make it on 3Dmax and make it an elu files(exporting) then put it on your map.xml. But you need to put the exact position on your decoration files on 3dmax.
And also I suggest try to stop your brushes intersecting each other so that your FSrad can generate perfectly.
This map is made by GTKradiant.

Eze Garcia - Error generating .RS files. GTKRadiant and 3DS Max 2010 x86 - RaGEZONE Forums

Eze Garcia - Error generating .RS files. GTKRadiant and 3DS Max 2010 x86 - RaGEZONE Forums

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Back