Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

F#ck xbox

Master Summoner
Reaction score
So today my xbox got a red ring... E74 error apparently.
So what do I do? well, I consider since I got my xbox back in December 2009 (Christmas present), that I would have my warranty still(E74 error has 3 years warranty!)!

So I log in to xbox.com, type in my serial number, only to find out my warranty apparently ran out in May 2007! WTF! not only has my xbox broke in less than a year of use! (Yes I only started using it Jan '11) But that now I can't even get it repaired!

Not to mention the fact the thing had insane problems reading discs all year long even on brand new games which forced me into buying a hard drive just to store the games on.

Xbox support told me there was nothing they could do about it, because apparently the serial number says it was purchased 2006, when it clearly wasn't as I bought it brand new and sealed in December 2009, which I think is BS.

Also the new ones are way to expensive for me just to buy a new one, and my old hard drive wont even fit in them. MW3 and 3 months of xbox live gone to waste. FML.

(Not sure if this is the right section, xbox modding didn't seem like the right section :/ )

WowIwasSuperCringeB4
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Looks like you've been screwed over.

Was it the original xbox 360?

Also, don't mean to start any debate or console wars, but... I still have my PS3 (The first fat PS3) since 2006 and it still works great.

I also have my awesome xbox 360 slim, and it hasn't had any problems.

I have a few recommendations for you:

1. Get a new xbox. (Too expensive? Get a part time job or something)
2. Get a PS3. (Too expensive? Get a part time job or something)
3. Wait till 2012/13 to get the new xbox. (Too expensive? Get a part time job or something)
4. Wait till 2012/13 to get the new PS4. (Too expensive? Get a part time job or something)

Or...
5. duck gaming on consoles! LET'S PLAY PC!

:D

Reaction score
Obviously your Xbox was manufactured before the RROD problem was fixed. The store you bought it from must have purchased it in May 2006 before selling you it 3 and a half years later. I bought mine brand new and sealed in December 2009 too and mine has been fine ever since.

Master Summoner
Reaction score
Yeah, the thing is, my serial apparently gets tied with the date of purchase, so technically I should be in warranty for the E74 thing... but I'm not :/

Also, I have a ps3 too, but I don't have mw3 with it... and none of my friends have ps3 to play with me, and yeah mw3 is the only game I play atm :L

Master Summoner
Reaction score
Good point, I looked it up actually, it seems pretty complicated and kind of all luck in fixing it.

duck You
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Call up 4myxbox..
You can send it in for free but you must pay shipping and handling. They will refurbish it for you and send it back.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Dude that sucks, really bad. I've had Red Ring 37 times(No Lie)

The only reason it still works, is because I have my Xbox hooked up to my Computer, and have modifications, and all sorts of programs, on it. Everytime I get the Red Ring, I keep it on for 20 seconds, to allow my Computer to repair it, and then turn my xbox off and on. It works again.

The programs I use were made by my best friend, and he isn't selling them anymore sadly. But, from what I hear you could find different ones on the internet, and do like me. It has always worked for me!

If you can't do that, do what Zeenon said, and Forget the Xbox, and play the Comp!

d.^.^.b
Loyal Member
Reaction score
yeah lol but i had the original and still ran great until gears of war 3 came out and was like I want that xbox lol

Aww, you looking here? <3
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Sure your xbox wasn't a resell... i.e. - "used" ?

I've had my original for 5years, til I replaced it with the Black S model + Kinetic device. Nothing wrong with the 360, per se.

Master Summoner
Reaction score
^
Xbox support told me there was nothing they could do about it, because apparently the serial number says it was purchased 2006, when it clearly wasn't as I bought it brand new and sealed in December 2009, which I think is BS.
is that enough? :LL

凸(ಠ益ಠ)凸
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Xbox usually fall apart quickly, i softmod xbox's and usually the DVD are the ones to fall apart first. As for warranty' i never bothered due to reasons like that. Just because you purchased it then, it doesnt mean the store bought it and stored it then either. For repairs i might suggest trying to get a small repair company to fix it or send it in.

Also if your thinking of throwing it out, i can always take it in. Since i could use it for parts. Better it being in someone else's use then in the trash.

Master Summoner
Reaction score
My cousin is apparently an expert on poop like this, and has fixed loads with no problems since :L, giving it to him to look at.

Back