• Unfortunately, we have experienced significant hard drive damage that requires urgent maintenance and rebuilding. The forum will be a state of read only until we install our new drives and rebuild all the configurations needed. Please follow our Facebook page for updates, we will be back up shortly! (The forum could go offline at any given time due to the nature of the failed drives whilst awaiting the upgrades.) When you see an Incapsula error, you know we are in the process of migration.

fan noise

Reaction score
The (intake?)fan on the window of my case started making this whiny noise today. First I thought it was my GFX card but soon I noticed it wasn't. I opened my pc up, gave it a good look and cleaning, put it back together but still, the noise continued.

It's not old at all; I've used fans for longer. This fan came with my Zalman Z9 Plus case.

So I decided to unplug it for the time being, noise went away, and now I'm debating on getting a new one, probably two to make my window look more symmetrical (this time without the flashy LEDs -.-) or just leaving it like this.

Haven't tested under load but idle temps are the same.

RZ's Personal Marine
Reaction score
its either the fan is just getting older, or its starting to vibrate more, you should try buying rubber o-rings to put between the case and the fan and see if that helps

The one and only!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Might as well just get a new fan? They are like 3$ now so it wont put a whole in the wallet if it wasn't the fan that was the issue :p

Looked at your case on the Zalman website and they are all 120mm? You can get new one with Blue LED's for 7$ :)

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Left side panel?
I've that time by time. Just a small hit or holding the side and release softly used to work here, hah.

But I've heard that Zalman are kinda noisy by themselfs.

RZ's Personal Marine
Reaction score
it mainly depends on how fast they go, the higher the RPMs the more noise they make,

i usually just wire all the fans through a voltage speed controller and turn em down and turn off the auto temp control on the case fans if im not playing any games

Back