Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

First Web Design

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
So, I've barley learned to code so far and I think I'm doing well. I'm taking web design in school(High School) and we recently got a project to make a webste all about us. So, I thought I'd share my progress with you guys. Sadly, there's no live demo but there are pictures and the pastebin of the code if you guys want to look at that.

Reaction score
I love your self confidence. There are a few things to point out here though : Nobody uses inline css, nobody uses embed css. Your code seems clean , but there isn't much to show of either.

The page barely goes to half of my browser even when I look at it , so i doubt you'll need a "to top" link.

You could have done so much more if you have put more time in it , but instead you made a 5 minute work website , it lacks colors , it lacks an overall layout , and it looks like something anyone could have done by simply using div's without even styling it.

Keep up trying , and you'll actually will be good at html css

Reaction score
wait...so you're studying web design without the knowledge of Designing?
You're trying to show us your design or the codes itself?

advices:
Please separate your CSS codes + the way you align the codes are messy, Google to the Rescue!!

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I love your self confidence. There are a few things to point out here though : Nobody uses inline css, nobody uses embed css. Your code seems clean , but there isn't much to show of either.

The page barely goes to half of my browser even when I look at it , so i doubt you'll need a "to top" link.

You could have done so much more if you have put more time in it , but instead you made a 5 minute work website , it lacks colors , it lacks an overall layout , and it looks like something anyone could have done by simply using div's without even styling it.

Keep up trying , and you'll actually will be good at html css

Dude, please, why dont do some tutorials teaching how to make a professional website? o-o'
I think you're professional on this area ! (:)

Reaction score
@Robert Mile - Thanks for the advice. The teacher actually wanted us to use that since we're just learning. I'm just a Web 1 student :)
@NubPro - Thanks for the advice as well. We are learning HTML, then XHTML, and lastly DreamWeaver.
@Lunerica - Sorry about that, just new to this section.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Instead of focusing on code, why not just learn how to use Photoshop or some other painting program to work on design skills? I think that would be the right direction to go.

Reaction score
Instead of focusing on code, why not just learn how to use Photoshop or some other painting program to work on design skills? I think that would be the right direction to go.
It's fine. I started on basic web codings at first since I really got interested in that field back in 2009, then later I improved my website with great design and now CSS are ezpz but designing is hard :(

Nevertheless, no matter what you tried first, please do your very best and in the end, you'll learn :)

• ♠️​ ♦️ ♣️ ​♥️ •
Reaction score

It's not necessary to learn to use Photoshop to create good websites. I lack on Photoshop, too, so I made simple websites and still could design them cool with static colors and some easy PNGs made in Paint.NET.

I found some good example how cool websites without much images look, just the math and programming skills should not lack when creating such:

@Takeoverkyle: When I started with HTML like you do, I learned the basics about designing first. It's the art to split your pages in more areas, like a top header, top navigation, left column, center column and right column, letting them stay centered in your browser view.
This website ( ) helped me alot in this case.

Also you should learn how colors match the best in harmony. Font has to be readable easily (not like your showcase).

Compare colors and how they match ( ) and avoid too hard contrast that hurts your eyes as well as too low contrast that you lose the font inside the background easily ...

The last to say is, learn to split CSS from HTML. =)

Reaction score
@Wafuz - I'm actually learning Photoshop by the same teacher for Digital Design. So, I'm 1 step ahead of you :)
@שเ๒єtгเ๒є - Thanks for the website, I'll be sure to use it. We're actually learning from the book and going from that. We're now learning how to make tables on a website.

Reaction score
It's not necessary to learn to use Photoshop to create good websites. I lack on Photoshop, too, so I made simple websites and still could design them cool with static colors and some easy PNGs made in Paint.NET.

I found some good example how cool websites without much images look, just the math and programming skills should not lack when creating such:

@Takeoverkyle: When I started with HTML like you do, I learned the basics about designing first. It's the art to split your pages in more areas, like a top header, top navigation, left column, center column and right column, letting them stay centered in your browser view.
This website ( ) helped me alot in this case.

Also you should learn how colors match the best in harmony. Font has to be readable easily (not like your showcase).

Compare colors and how they match ( ) and avoid too hard contrast that hurts your eyes as well as too low contrast that you lose the font inside the background easily ...

The last to say is, learn to split CSS from HTML. =)

What's wrong with people doing half screen headings nowadays ...

• ♠️​ ♦️ ♣️ ​♥️ •
Reaction score
What's wrong with people doing half screen headings nowadays ...

Did I say anything against half screen headings?
Or better to say: Did I say anything against people who do half screen headings (as you said)?
I guess not.
My tips targeting to people with not much experience. And in my own memory, I did very well in complete div headers instead of any further experiments in the beginning.

At the end, you can do everything, it just depends HOW you do it, and HOW it looks at the end. Learning the basics is necessary to reach this, however.

Reaction score
Did I say anything against half screen headings?
Or better to say: Did I say anything against people who do half screen headings (as you said)?
I guess not.
My tips targeting to people with not much experience. And in my own memory, I did very well in complete div headers instead of any further experiments in the beginning.

At the end, you can do everything, it just depends HOW you do it, and HOW it looks at the end. Learning the basics is necessary to reach this, however.

You posted two demo links. You don't need to say anything if you post it there for anyone to see.

• ♠️​ ♦️ ♣️ ​♥️ •
Reaction score
You posted two demo links. You don't need to say anything if you post it there for anyone to see.

Why? The demo links where referring to Wafuz why you do not need Photoshop to make websites. That's all.
The rest was referring to Takeoverkyle how I started learning to build websites.

I don't get what's the problem.

Reaction score
The correct and right way to design a website includes more then just one step. First comes the planning , second comes the "sketching" , 3rd comes the designing , photoshop or whatever , third comes the css and html , 4rth comes the php or other server side programming.

You don't teach a beginer to start with html , and stick to it , just because you could do it. You teach a beginer to start doing it the right way , so he get's used to it. He can just start with two out of the steps described above , and thus html css , and psd.

You don't see people on tutsplus , youtube , or any other site on the whole web teaching people to design in HTML / CSS only!

THERE ARE STEPS TO LEARN , AND HTML CSS IS DEFINITELY NOT THE FIRST!

So that's the problem.

• ♠️​ ♦️ ♣️ ​♥️ •
Reaction score
The correct and right way to design a website includes more then just one step. First comes the planning , second comes the "sketching" , 3rd comes the designing , photoshop or whatever , third comes the css and html , 4rth comes the php or other server side programming.
Look at his page and tell me he is ready for all that. There is no master from today to tomorrow, everybody starts small. Let him explore the world, perhaps he will maybe get the idea to design his website with tables and realize it's not recommend to use tables to design a page structure by himself. But it's a hard way to a good programmer, and this includes to get far step by step even making mistakes to learn out of it.

You don't teach a beginer to start with html , and stick to it , just because you could do it. You teach a beginer to start doing it the right way , so he get's used to it. He can just start with two out of the steps described above , and thus html css , and psd.
Nobody sticks to the first thing he/she learnt usually. I.e. the first aim is to learn the harmony between HTML and CSS, but this will not mean he will never code JS or do PSD. About PSD I just say you can get things done looking nicely without using Photoshop, but I do not say he should never go for PSD. It's everybodys own decision.

You don't see people on tutsplus , youtube , or any other site on the whole web teaching people to design in HTML / CSS only!
Because it's the lowest and first step maybe? For that there are enough newbie tutorials on many pages written down (i.e. SELFHTML). But again, look at his first post, he is on the start, so I suggest something that is reachable without getting stressed out. Or did you learn EVERYTHING asynchronously when starting with programming? No, so don't say poop.

THERE ARE STEPS TO LEARN , AND HTML CSS IS DEFINITELY NOT THE FIRST!
So what's the first (for him)? I do not care what's the first for you, but I do not say what I did first was the right. It's a personal decision. And even when this thread is called First Web Design, he just posted HTML and a screenshot. So think yourself about what this thread is in the first view.
At the end he said he learns both at school, that's pretty fine, but do not decide whats the best to learn for everybody, people are different.

So that's the problem.
Problem? I do not see any problem. Perhaps you got a problem here, but that (again) does not mean it's everybody's problem. haha.

Reaction score
There is no personal perference in designing , you either design it for yourself only , in which case nobody cares , because it' designed to fit your needs , or you design it for the public , in which case you follow a basic set of rules. Sure you have a choice to do whatever you want , but don't expect people to spam you with likes , and rep , for something YOU LIKE , and they don't.

What you teach him is not designing , is coding , and it shouldn't even be in the portfolio section.

Designers/artists , first make a sketch/design/psd or whatever you want to call it , so they can get a glance on how it will actually look when it's live. You can't just imagine and brain-fart colors , shapes , layouts , logos , icons on your site out of pure html css. NOBODY is able to do that , maybe you are. But YOU could do it , it doesn't mean HE CAN do it. So shut up and go back to your Coders Paradise section. Case closed.

Also if you will to debate more , I can remind you that I have coded / designed several websites from scratch , while I don't see any of yours. So debate about something you ACTUALLY KNOW , not something that you THINK YOU KNOW.

• ♠️​ ♦️ ♣️ ​♥️ •
Reaction score
There is no personal perference in designing , you either design it for yourself only , in which case nobody cares , because it' designed to fit your needs , or you design it for the public , in which case you follow a basic set of rules. Sure you have a choice to do whatever you want , but don't expect people to spam you with likes , and rep , for something YOU LIKE , and they don't.
I don't know what you do exactly here, but I'm here to help, and not to earn rep + like. Stop accusing me.

What you teach him is not designing , is coding , and it shouldn't even be in the portfolio section.
Alright, we are in the portfolio section, and I'm not a designer. But coding HTML + CSS and designing with PSD walks hand in hand, and I tried to help him on the first hand, coding. As I said above, I did not say he shouldn't use PSD, it was not addressed to him, neither to you!

Designers/artists , first make a sketch/design/psd or whatever you want to call it , so they can get a glance on how it will actually look when it's live. You can't just imagine and brain-fart colors , shapes , layouts , logos , icons on your site out of pure html css. NOBODY is able to do that , maybe you are. But YOU could do it , it doesn't mean HE CAN do it. So shut up and go back to your Coders Paradise section. Case closed.
You don't get it. He wasn't posting a simple image, he was? So what's wrong to lead him to structured HTML? Then he would even get the idea how websites can be done on the easiest way with a layout structure. Even when it does fit to 'portfolio' it was quite helpful, because he thanked me. Ofc he cannot do it right now, but that's not a reason why not showing him it can be done, it's called learning progress, and it's easier than you think.

Also if you will to debate more , I can remind you that I have coded / designed several websites from scratch , while I don't see any of yours. So debate about something you ACTUALLY KNOW , not something that you THINK YOU KNOW.
There is no need to release anything to prove it can be done by me. By the way, there are images showing stuff I made, I just do not wall it on any own thread, because I'm not here to prove jerks like you I can do websites. Learn to accept other suggestions you do not like, ego.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back