Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Gaming Marketplace/Social Networking

Canadian
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Hi,

For those of you who don't know me, I am Mike (in case you couldn't tell by my name). I am a guy who loves to create projects, and design, as well as do some HTML and a bit of PHP work in my spare time (huge noob in PHP).

I was making a project with Chrisdothtml that was going to be a gaming marketplace, where people could buy/sell/trade games, consoles, gold, items, etc. That project fell through due to an argument, but I'm thinking of getting back on track with that but taking a slightly different route.

There are no current successful "gaming social networking" sites, unless you count IGN and Gamespot, which I wouldn't because they're a bit different than what I'm about to describe. What if, there was a website, where when you first visited, it was like the Facebook login but with a darker theme to it (and completely different obviously), and when you login, it takes you to your profile, where you can add fellow gamers, change your status for everyone to see, write reviews for games (like the "Notes" section on Facebook - but more controlled), have a "gamer rep", where other gamers can add or take away from your reputation, have a wall for people to post on, and be able to send messages. It would be basically the Facebook for gamers who want to meet other gamers.

There may be a minor marketplace area where you could buy/sell/trade all kinds of things, a minor forum where you could discuss with other gamers, and stuff like that.

Basically, if this were to happen, who would join? Who wouldn't join? Why? Have an opinion you'd like to add?

If I did this, I would invest a few hundred dollars in hiring Chris back to do this (or another developer if he declines), and a lot of time designing a revolutionary layout. We already have the marketplace and forum custom coded, as well as profiles. We just need to add a few more features to start this.

Edit: Before anyone points out one of my bad traits, I'll address it here. I know in the past I have started a project and given up on it soon after, I have a bad reputation for that. I have changed. We spent over 2 months developing the script on , and I didn't once give up or get bored of it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I think it's a great idea. I love my gaming, and my social networking. Why not mix the two?

Social Networking sites are hard to pick up. Think about all the current ones, Facebook, Twitter, MySpace etc etc. They all start many years ago, they were the pioneering sites. It's going to be hard to pick up, but I don't know. You'll just have to see how it goes.

A few hundred dollars is a lot of money to invest in something that is just a "might."

1/11/1995 ~ 23/11/2011
Loyal Member
Reaction score
That's a hell of an idea, I'm actually pretty pissed I did not learn PhP, I'm a decent C++ coder but I guess you don't need that kind.
Good luck though this could go very far.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I like the idea.
I would love to join and help out.
In my free time.

Canadian
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Lots of support on here, lots of hate on Sythe. Hmm..

Thanks though guys!

Reaction score
I think it would be an amazing idea actually. I think that if you get a gaming social network, then it will be good for everyone, theres a social network where you can chat with friends, maybe a feature on this social network they enter their username on a game, for example; PSN: HahaJ123 and then they would be able to chat with their friends who also have an account and are friends on PlayStation Network. I think it's a good idea actually Mike, theres been a few attempts and most have been unsuccessful so I bid you good luck in this project and I hope you develope the site further and use your coding wisely so you can make a good social network for all us gaming nerds; I am not insulting any of you by calling you that by the way.

1/11/1995 ~ 23/11/2011
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I think it would be an amazing idea actually. I think that if you get a gaming social network, then it will be good for everyone, theres a social network where you can chat with friends, maybe a feature on this social network they enter their username on a game, for example; PSN: HahaJ123 and then they would be able to chat with their friends who also have an account and are friends on PlayStation Network. I think it's a good idea actually Mike, theres been a few attempts and most have been unsuccessful so I bid you good luck in this project and I hope you develope the site further and use your coding wisely so you can make a good social network for all us gaming nerds; I am not insulting any of you by calling you that by the way.

Well if there have been a few attempts I suggest you get to work fast, I really hope this project goes far though.
That's just what I needed but I never really thought of it, fact I did thought of a social network for institution, like a Facebook school, for poor africans (that's my main goal, I promise someday this network will rise).

May I post some suggestions :blush: ?

1: post filters, unlike facebook, more like google+ you can add peoples into circles/categories.

2: no pokes plox !

3: keep the site plain and clean, a bit like ragezone.

Those are simple suggestions, that's some kind of site I would like to visit being a regular user.

Canadian
Loyal Member
Reaction score

Thanks a lot for those words, and advice!

Well if there have been a few attempts I suggest you get to work fast, I really hope this project goes far though.
That's just what I needed but I never really thought of it, fact I did thought of a social network for institution, like a Facebook school, for poor africans (that's my main goal, I promise someday this network will rise).

May I post some suggestions :blush: ?

1: post filters, unlike facebook, more like google+ you can add peoples into circles/categories.

2: no pokes plox !

3: keep the site plain and clean, a bit like ragezone.

Those are simple suggestions, that's some kind of site I would like to visit being a regular user.

Thank you for the suggestions! I do not plan on adding pokes. The first suggestion will be considered, the third one will be done for sure.

Canadian
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Idea: great!
Time: limited
Resources: limited

Conclusion: You'll need a good team for this.

I will have a good team.

I love the idea.

Thanks man.

For the love of god don't add an ingame item/gold marketplace. Nothing good ever comes from those, not to mention the legal implications would force you to be an "underground" site which would severely limit your userbase.

I didn't really think of that. You're right though. Many markets have been shut down before from gaming companies. I'll probably skip that part then, thanks.

You can do all of that on Steam.

Never been on Steam so I wouldn't know.

That's not the point. He's making a social network for gaming, not somewhere were you can purchase games online.

Exactly.

Reaction score
Well, I guess that could be done, however keep in mind breaking into the whole community game is tough as hell, take it from someone that's been working with just that for 8 years and just recently got a break :p.

Canadian
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I took a small break from everything online really to focus on school and work. Now that I'm on break, I'd like to continue with this and see where I can get. I'd still like feedback on the idea!

Reaction score
I'd still be interested if your still willing to develop it. as I said, not many people have been successful making a social network site if you are interested in carrying on your development plan then go ahead, I'm with you.

Canadian
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Awesome man!

I really can't stand people who flame people on their development and relate to another website which doesn't even come close to what you are developing. It's silly.

And thanks for the support here. I didn't even notice this post until yesterday.

Back