Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Geforce 6800 Temperature Monitoring?

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Is there any way to check if my Geforce 6800 has a temperature sensor built in? Currently it does not show anything about temperatures in the Nvidia CP, but I hear that you can reflash the BIOS with a modded version on 6600's to enable temperature monitoring...Surely if a 6600 has a temp monitor then a 6800 does? Reason being my card seems to throttle back the core clock down to 325 (default) from 375 (overclocked) due to temp throttling I believe (hence messages in the Nvidia CP saying its been throttled). Thanks

EDIT: Managed to use rivatuner to find the temps, but it would still be nice to have them in the Nvidia CP (temps are 70-80 under load :( and it is throttling the core clock)

EDIT2: Who thinks it would help to turn my fans back on after turning them off for the night? getting 50-65C load now

Last edited:
Master Summoner
Reaction score
my 6800GT has one, all you have to do is open the nvidia settings:

Mazo - Geforce 6800 Temperature Monitoring? - RaGEZONE Forums

Elite Diviner
Reaction score
70-80c is quite high :/ my gfx card runs 45c+ on load and urs seems to be quite high

Divine Celestial
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Maximum temperature for your GPU seems to be around 70

Reaction score
It should be in there. Try a different version of the drivers to see if you can view it.

Also don't dare to try to flash it with 6600 BIOS as they cards are completely different and it just wont work. =P

Sure you can do it but you'll then have a non working card.

NoPeace - out

Master Summoner
Reaction score
my card goes up to 85º when I'm playing DS2, but it's still yellow on that graph to the right.

I already tried to remove the fking dust, but I cant unscrew the fan, I already broke a screwdriver trying to :/

Reaction score
If you think thoes are hot temps you should check out the x1900XTX's. Mine runs at 90c under full load new out of the box. After puting some AS5 on it. It gets to about 85c. Now thoes are hot cards. O.O

NoPeace - out

Reaction score
Depends on the GPU. The x1900's can handle 70c+ safely but don't let a 7900 get that high. They are about 60-70c safe.

High end ATI cards typically run hotter then the nVidia ones. For most cards 60's is safe. 70's is getting high but is still in the safe range. 80's is too high for most cards except the x1900's and the 7950GX2's.

NoPeace - out

Elite Diviner
Reaction score
weird oO mine is always running at 30c load 45c oced to max 47c...

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Lets NOT hijack my thread with "mine has temp monitoring" or "my clocks are x, y and z" or "my temps are a, b and c" I havn't even had an answer yet. The card has thermal probes yet does not show up in the Nvidia CP but does in Rivatuner, I have coolbits 2 installed. Ideas?

The only helpful post was NoPeace's and in regards to that, I have tried many different drivers over the course of updating, I have the latest BIOS on the card and I'm also running the latest drivers.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Lets NOT hijack my thread with "mine has temp monitoring" or "my clocks are x, y and z" or "my temps are a, b and c" I havn't even had an answer yet. The card has thermal probes yet does not show up in the Nvidia CP but does in Rivatuner, I have coolbits 2 installed. Ideas?

The only helpful post was NoPeace's and in regards to that, I have tried many different drivers over the course of updating, I have the latest BIOS on the card and I'm also running the latest drivers.

Well if one program works then why fuss over it. It's probally just an issue with your vendor's BIOS and the nVidia drivers. Maybe flashing it with a BIOS from a different vendor might help but I wouldn't risk it.

So just use Riva tuner since that works. Also I would sugest you getting a better cooler. Because your temps are a little high for a 6800.

NoPeace - out

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Also I would sugest you getting a better cooler. Because your temps are a little high for a 6800.

Yeah, I've been thinking about that but I might aswell just wait till I upgrade my whole system and get a new GPU, Its Gigabyte's fault...what kind of idiot thinks of passive cooling >_<

Reaction score
Yeah, I've been thinking about that but I might aswell just wait till I upgrade my whole system and get a new GPU, Its Gigabyte's fault...what kind of idiot thinks of passive cooling >_<

Oh that's why it's high. Passive cooling. =P

Passive cooling is only good if it has a poop load of heat pipes or is a passive water cooling. Other then that I would avoid it.

Just put a fan near the card and it should do the job.

NoPeace - out

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I screwed an old fan onto it from an old heatsink a while back :) and yeah, passive cooling does suck I regret getting the card from Gigabyte and not someone else now, but hey, I basically got an Ultra for free (unlocked pipelines/shaders + overclocked)

Back