• Unfortunately, we have experienced significant hard drive damage that requires urgent maintenance and rebuilding. The forum will be a state of read only until we install our new drives and rebuild all the configurations needed. Please follow our Facebook page for updates, we will be back up shortly! (The forum could go offline at any given time due to the nature of the failed drives whilst awaiting the upgrades.) When you see an Incapsula error, you know we are in the process of migration.

Good practices for building a mobile app backend

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm currently building an app and I was wondering if anyone could give me any tips/suggestions for building the backend. I'm currently using AppEngine (with Cloud Endpoints) and my backend application is written in Java.
I'd appreciate it if anyone had any tips to share on building an efficient and scalable backend (I haven't really progressed yet - I only started working on the app a few days ago).

Thanks in advance,
Adil

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm currently building an app and I was wondering if anyone could give me any tips/suggestions for building the backend. I'm currently using AppEngine (with Cloud Endpoints) and my backend application is written in Java.
I'd appreciate it if anyone had any tips to share on building an efficient and scalable backend (I haven't really progressed yet - I only started working on the app a few days ago).

Thanks in advance,
Adil

What exactly is the app?

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Do you mean programming pattern? For example Model-View Controller (MVC)? Like hindi was saying i think more information is needed.

Reaction score
Use a proven (i.e. widely used, been around for at least a little while, not completely poop, etc etc) open source framework. The less crap your code is and the more maintainable your code is, the easier time you'll have.working with it in the future. Make sure you and others can read it, understand it, maintain it, extend it, and reuse it.

Don't worry about scalability right now, just worry about not making something that is complete and utter poop. It will still likely be, and you'll look back in a year and want to punch yourself in the face, but don't worry too much about that. Scalability is an extremely complex subject that requires a lot of hands-on experience to even begin to understand, and even then, there's always a ton more to learn.

tl;dr Just focus on shipping something, ideally something that isn't an utter pile of poop. Which it still probably will be in a year, but again, don't mind that too much.

Back